No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-02-10, 1:34pm
Carpe Beadum

Default Six different 104COE whites??

This came up on WC, when someone asked what number the standard flat white is. I believe they were asking about 204.

But that made me wonder, how different is the alabastro (308 ) and the opalino (504) from Anise white (Anise white is 208, correct?) and how about 312 - special white, and 316 - agate white? I've always wanted to know... *G* Can anyone illuminate me? Are some of them reactive, or are they just tinted differently?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung

Last edited by DreamMuse; 2006-02-10 at 1:39pm.
Old 2006-02-10, 4:21pm
Glassy Lady

Standard white is 204.

208 is called light white or anise white. It's slightly off white and a little bit stiffer.

The other whites are A308 Light White, A312 Special White, A316 Agate White and O504 white. I don't see a whole lot of difference between these visually. Some of them are a tiny bit whiter, some are a tiny bit more translucent than others. Special white is really special all right, it's the shockiest and most bubbly scumming glass I have ever tried to make into a bead. Of the 4 whites above I prever the Alabastro 316 Agate White. It's a beautiful translucent white and it's pretty well behaved for an alabastro.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2006-02-10, 4:49pm
Student of DachZen

Anise White is also reactive. It gets a dark "line" in it when used as stringer over other colors, kind of interesting, actually.

Old 2006-02-10, 7:47pm
Evil Genius in Disguise

I don't know about alabastro, but the opalino is much more translucent than anice white, and makes a person a lot less angry. The opalino is sort of "sticky", but still fairly stiff. The anice white is almost as stiff as a transparent.

I'm fairly sure the chrysalis in this bead is opalino white:

And the white part of this bleeding heart is anice white (it's etched, so it did become a bit more opaque):

"Neighbors suck. Burn her house down and make beads out of her windows."--Shawnette
Old 2006-02-11, 7:00pm
Cheeky & Impervious

Alex: I'm sitting here laughing, so thanks for your post. I was just in my studio and noticed I have about a pound and a half of agate white I ordered about a year and a half ago (by sheer accident, probably thought it was anice white at the time, I'd just recently started). I was thinking, hmm, I'll have to try that tomorrow, I don't think I've ever touched it, just stashed it and forgot about it! LOL. I'll be trying it later!!

~ Jules