Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-10-21, 6:21am

Default Anybody tried purple sable?

Or is it blue sable? By trautman, looks cool, but before I order some, was wondering if anyone had anything to say about it? Thanks!!!
Old 2008-10-21, 7:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie4680 View Post
Or is it blue sable? By trautman, looks cool, but before I order some, was wondering if anyone had anything to say about it? Thanks!!!
Yes. I don't have any pics, but I really liked it. I was given a small sample to try out, and the things I made with it all sold. I didn't like it as much for implosions, but it is a very nice color for surface work. Try it over a base of white for brighter colors.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-21, 7:27am
yukue fumei

I have Purple Sable. I have only tried it a bit and need to work on it more to have a good idea of how it works, but this is what I found so far.....

It's a dark coffee color base which gets some gorgeous electric blues on first strike. Encasing it for some cool blues and greens....

I am having a bit of trouble with getting it to restrike if I decide to remelt it after a strike.....The blues disappear and don't come back....but I haven't used it enough to figure out how to work it, so that is where I am with this color so far....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

Old 2008-10-21, 9:44am

Default pics of Purple Sable

Here are a few photos of Purple Sable, if you want to see some... these are pieces Paul made while checking out this color. It also has a light aventurine sparkle to it, which is hard to photograph.

This is struck and some of the reaction is dotted over with clear.

this is a close-up of some un-encased reactions. I believe this had more reduction? I need to ask Paul...

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-10-21, 3:11pm

A friend of mine sent me a sample I love the colors in it got some great purples very easy to work with.
Old 2008-10-21, 4:39pm

Thank you so much!!
Old 2008-10-21, 6:13pm

That looks like a pretty violet purple... Yum!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-10-23, 6:34am
yukue fumei

wow--I need to go back and learn this color!
Gorgeous!

nagi

Old 2008-10-23, 3:40pm

OK, so we played with this color more today, and it appears that if you burn away that initial strike reaction, you can bring it back with a cooling and second strike, or cooling and then reducing. Paul was getting all sorts of different effects out of it, then working it back to the original state and then striking/reducing it all over again. Looks really great with some clear over the reactions. One of the ways he was working it, which may be second nature to you boro boys and babes (but not to this 104 girl, sorry) was to use a neutral flame in the center fire and a completely gas flame in the outer ring. We got purples, blues, greens, reddish browns, olive, yellow, whitish silver, and some pearlescent finishes at various times, just with that one paddle. Wow - I may have to get myself a big-ass torch for the home studio and convert to 33!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-10-24, 11:36am
Mandrel Slayer

Come on Jenny. We'd love to have you on the dark side.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.