LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2009-07-21, 4:05pm
lurking on LE since 2005

Default Encasing Tutorial

I posted this in the wrong place I think. Sorry!

There are several encasing tutorials and books out there to help you encase, but I think you'll find that my method for encasing large beads is somewhat unique.

One thing I've found in speaking to other beadmakers is that people don't like to encase, because either it ends up making the bead really huge, it distorts the pattern underneath, or they end up with really big, distracting bubbles.

Since I hate bubbles with a passion, I went to work on developing a technique that allowed me to thinly encase larger beads (1-2 inches in length) without introducing bubbles or smears at the junction of the clear layers.

I didn't realize I was doing anything all that interesting until a friend was watching me encase and said she'd never seen anyone encase like I did, nor did she get the smooth, thin layers that I can get using my method. If you'll peruse some of my recent etsy additions, you'll see beads that will make you say, "That's encased?"

In the interest of helping you create more beautiful beads, I have created a pdf available in my etsy store. I'm going to bring a CD of this file to the Gathering this week, and would love to get some feedback/comments from people who have tried it.

ETSY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Last edited by Charmaine; 2009-07-27 at 5:51am.
Old 2009-07-22, 6:30am

I made a bead using your technique last night and it looks pretty good and it worked like a charm .

Next time I will use my pretty glass to make it.

Thanks for the great tutorial! It will definitely save me a lot of time encasing from now on.
Old 2009-07-22, 9:05am
lurking on LE since 2005

Default encasing

thanks for the testimonial!

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2009-07-22, 10:22am

Default first encased tut bead

Charmaine,

You are welcome. I hope you don't mind me posting a picture of my bead even though it is my first one. If so, let me know and I will quickly delete it!
Attached Images

Old 2009-07-22, 10:37am
lurking on LE since 2005

Default encasing

That looks GREAT! Now, the question is, did you make a better encased bead than you have before?

J-55

Old 2009-07-22, 12:39pm

Default answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine View Post
That looks GREAT! Now, the question is, did you make a better encased bead than you have before?

I would say yes!
Old 2009-07-22, 12:43pm
lurking on LE since 2005

Default encasing

Yay!

J-55

Old 2009-07-24, 10:23am
Melting

Has anyone else bought this? I am seriously considering it and would like to hear more reviews!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2009-07-24, 11:17am
Beadmaking.nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnehlers View Post
Has anyone else bought this? I am seriously considering it and would like to hear more reviews!
I have bought it, because I always like to learn new technics. I almost got immediatly the pdf and today I tried.

It is a technic I didn't know, but it is not easy!
I am happy I bought the tutorial, because I learned something new.
When I was beadmaking I thought how great it would be that the tutorial would be a little movie, because you can then see what she is doing...

My beads are now in the kiln.

Old 2009-07-24, 11:27am
lurking on LE since 2005

Default encasing

I think the movie idea is a good one, but I'm so bad at retaining stuff that I see someone else doing, I personally like to have something in my hands to refer to when I'm trying something new, which is why I did it as something you could print out. But I do recall, as I was doing it, I was thinking that a video of the process would be really beneficial. Food for thought.

J-55

Last edited by Charmaine; 2009-07-24 at 11:34am.
Old 2009-07-24, 11:40am
Melting

Thanks Margriet, that is helpful!

I'd love to hear from other buyers, too, if anyone wants to chime in...

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2009-07-25, 12:56pm
Beadmaking.nl

Here are the beads I made with this new techniek:

First, the first bead en second, the second...

I used normal Moretticlear.

Old 2009-07-25, 6:33pm

Those look really good. I really want to try this out myself as I've watched Charmaine do this a LOT and it fascinates me how nice and thin her encased beads are. You did a great job!

Mitra

(sadly outdated, but I'm working on it...)
Old 2010-04-21, 8:22am
I speak Murrini!

Charmaine~

I've had your tutorial for quite some time I read it, re-read it and tried it...well, sort of . I admit that I've encased a "certain way" (around-the-world wrapping, right to left then melt in) for so long, it was a challenge for me to not automatically just do the same old thing. Tough old dog I am....

Anyway, I'd set this aside for the longest time, and yesterday when I decided I'd had enough of bubble-o-rama and "bleed through" while testing my latest floral murrini in an encased bead, I looked up my saved tutorial of yours and re-read it! It was time to think outside the box!

I kept at it yesterday, literally making a conscious effort to "not do it the same old way" and I've discovered a very awesome way of encasing. The layer is a nice, thin coating; no "tons of bubbles" (a couple tiny ones, but that's OK!) and no bleeding through to the surface of the interior design.

My method is slightly different than yours...nothing novel, I don't believe, but new for ME at least. So the very best thing your tutorial did for me is encourage me to explore alternative methods, try new things, and for that, this tutorial is now PRICELESS to me!

Just wanted to post my experience and appreciation!

Hugs from CA,
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-04-21, 8:35am
lurking on LE since 2005

that is awesome! thanks for posting

J-55

Old 2010-04-21, 12:04pm
Glassy Broad :-)

Charmaine I adore your tutorial!
So much so, that I've told all my newbie friends.
It helped me so much. I don't always use just this approach, depends a lot on what I'm trying to encase. That being said, it was your tutorial that gave me several "AHA!!!" Moments, so thanks again!!!!
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-04-21, 12:13pm
lurking on LE since 2005

thanks!!

J-55