No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-05, 10:26am
too many rods in the fire

Default Super shocky white?!

Has anyone else experienced this with plain old Effetre White?

I usually buy my black, white and ivory in 1 lb bundles every time I buy glass so that I will have plenty of those basic colors on hand. So I usually have at least 7-10 pounds of black and white on hand.

Because of that, I can't begin to tell you when I bought this white, but according to the tag, it is the regular Effetre white, not some other white such as CIM or whatever.

Every time I introduce the rod gently into the BACK of the flame, it explodes!! Even pre-warming the rods on top of the kiln doesn't seem to help. I am ready to toss the whole bundle, I am so frustrated.

Is this something I should have been aware of but just missed? Or did I just get a freak batch of white?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-07-05, 10:29am

You're SURE it's not Effetre Anice White? That stuff loves to pop.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-07-05, 10:35am

Sometimes it works to prefire the rods in your kiln. 1150 should do it without softening them, 10 minute hold then anneal slowly back down to room temp. It helps most of mine, unless they have a lot of air bubbles in them.

Barbara

Barbara
Old 2012-07-05, 10:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlilly1 View Post
You're SURE it's not Effetre Anice White? That stuff loves to pop.
That was my first thought, but nope. I am getting ready to buy several more pounds of my basic colors, and this batch of white has me a bit paranoid - I don't want to buy 5 lbs of stuff that acts like this batch!!!

Old 2012-07-05, 11:02am

The recent batch I bought seems shocky to me, too--not as shocky as anise, but annoying nevertheless.

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-07-05, 4:13pm

I have about 3 lbs of effetre left that I bought several years ago. Not sure where I purchased it from. It just explodes no matter what I do. After inspection every rod has a small hole in the middle up the whole rod. I only use it now in emergencies.

Old 2012-07-05, 4:25pm
one day at a time

There is a batch out there that has a long air bubble the whole length of the rod.
Old 2012-07-05, 5:06pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I have a special collection box for that sort of thing... labeled "future frit". It really stinks if you get a whole batch of something basically unusable. Though I do use anice white to demonstrate WHY we wear safety glasses to any novice I bring into the shop. Stick a rod of that in the flame and all of a sudden they get it.

L-111

Old 2012-07-06, 6:43am
Glass-aholic

Yep. White is crazy like that! And can vary from rod to rod Inge same batch. I think it's air bubbles. Annealing usually didn't help me much with it.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-06, 7:32am
Critter Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
Sometimes it works to prefire the rods in your kiln. 1150 should do it without softening them, 10 minute hold then anneal slowly back down to room temp.
Rene' I don't use 104, but the BE pink is very shocky too, especially my latest batch...so what I've been doing is just placing the rod in my kiln for a few minutes before I use it. Kinda like what Barbara's suggesting...but I don't go through the annealing process, I just use it straight out of the kiln while it's still nice and hot.

Old 2012-07-06, 8:33am
Otter

I am slowly working my way through a really bad batch of white the stuff is awful and like you I bought like 4# every time I use it makes me so mad.

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2012-07-06, 8:49am
Loving learning

I got this from someone here, but can't remember who. They were discussing OY, but I've used it with other colors too.
Make a very reducing flame, dragon's breath type. Put the shocky rod in the back of the flame, rotating it and keeping it way out until it begins to glow, then adjust your flame & move closer.
I don't know if it will work on the white, but it has helped several times now for me.
Old 2012-07-06, 3:08pm

Deena and Otter, it sounds like we may all have purchased from the same bad batch of white!

I tried what Bonnie suggested (and this does work well for me with certain other colors that tend to be shocky), but this white is something else!! It just keeps popping and shattering no matter what I do. I can even get a nice glowing pea sized glob of glass on the end of the rod (with much careful babying) and then the damnthing shocks right ABOVE the molten glass and goes flying. I got a pretty decent sized burn on my arm from that.

I am just going to put this glass away - I have reached my limit of tolerance. I will do like eregel says and just label a box future frit and in it will go!

I am just hoping the next batch I buy behaves better! It is HARD to not use white, for crying out loud.

Old 2012-08-07, 3:27pm

I bought some of this glass a few years ago, too.
It's nasty. I have it separated from my other glass and stuck under a box. I glare at it everytime I see it.
Old 2012-08-07, 5:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
I have a special collection box for that sort of thing... labeled "future frit". It really stinks if you get a whole batch of something basically unusable. Though I do use anice white to demonstrate WHY we wear safety glasses to any novice I bring into the shop. Stick a rod of that in the flame and all of a sudden they get it.
that's awesome! i demonstrated the exact same thing to my sister using some indian glass rods..after that expose', she always wears glasses around the shop.
Old 2012-08-07, 7:03pm
Naysayer

I have some like that, but it wasn't from years ago, maybe last year-half a yr ago?

I only really use Peace but I thought I would get something cheap for base glass, it shatters horribly! I have a 'nice' scar on my arm from it.
Old 2012-08-07, 9:03pm
Dynamic Duo

We even got a batch of effetre clear (0004-915) that behaves that way!!! I went through 2 18 inch rods the other day, just trying to place a base footprint on a mandrel. I cannot tell which rods are going to do this. It is really bad if you have spent an hour on a bead, and have to grab a new rod for encasing and it is one of these.

Old 2012-08-08, 10:39am

I had this same issue with Pea Green. No matter what I did, it just shock-popped all the way down the the end.

Old 2012-08-08, 8:12pm
Glass-aholic

Avacado is killer for this!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-08-10, 2:26pm

I am sorry to hear so many others have had similar problems (although misery does love company!).

I have also had similar shocky problems with certain batches of pea green, TrueGem. I use that color quite a lot, and I never know when I am going to get one of "those" rods!

Old 2012-11-06, 6:27pm
Naysayer

I remembered this thread last night, since holiday beads use a ton of white, I bought a lb of vetrofond white, I cannot even use it. I tried warming it first and nothing. Either it breaks every 1/4 inch or it just shatters VERY badly.

Now per my post up there I had this problem with Effetre like you did, now vetro grrrrrr!
Old 2012-11-12, 2:26pm

The white I have from my last order is full of air bubbles - it looks like solid foam, it is so riddled with air. It is unusable!
Old 2012-11-13, 1:29am
Naysayer

Vetro or Effetre?
What I'm doing now, if the rod is unusable..ie preheating makes NO difference, I'm saving those seperately, then I'm going to contact the supplier. I know it's cheap but this is ridiculous! Two different makers I've gone through this with.

I have about a lb of white frit on my table at this point
Old 2013-08-25, 7:00pm

Default What is a good white to purchase?

Glad to find this thread, cause i thought i was losing my mind. I bought a pound of Effetre white and it is so shocky i can't stand to use it. I have never had problems with any other rods like this. I have been having all of the problems listed above, and just got my first bad burn because of it.

So, is there a good white I can order that doesn't shock like this?

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2013-08-26, 1:49am
Naysayer

I have thin (maybe 2-3mm) vetro that shatters, and a thicker (5-6mm)effetre that shatters. Both from Frantz. The absolute most shocky glass I've ever come across, it's pretty violent the way it shatters.

CIM Peace is the same price as effetre, go with that. I usually prefer that anyways, but these last bad Italian batches were on sale, live and learn I guess.
http://creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=26
Old 2013-08-26, 1:51pm

yep, VIOLENT, is a perfect word for it. Mine came from Frantz also. That's the only one I've ever had problems with.
Thanks for advising on the CIM Peace. It looks great and I just ordered a pound. And of course... had to order some other colors while i was at it.... Howaco has wonderful pricing, but I would gladly pay more just to avoid the shocky nightmare of the effetre white. Guess that's going to the great frit farm in the sky....

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2013-08-26, 2:07pm
Loving learning

Is there any chance at all that the 204 got mixed up with the Anise White?
Old 2013-08-26, 2:59pm

Thumbs up

Oh my...... Glad I didn't choose white to try to start with! I think I would have freaked out and been gun shy about doing this alone for a while. Bad for a newbie!
Thanks for sharing this!
Old 2013-08-26, 11:46pm
Naysayer

Eileen, no, I use Anise white..this is worse if you can believe that! I've had thin and rough (vetrofond), I have a thread here somewhere, it's very odd looking. Hmmm can't find it, but the ends look like murrini!

And then the smoother rods which were effetre. Thinking back, I've gone through this for years now, back when Moretti and More advertised here lol.

Blue weaver, not everyone has this problem though, seems to be just a part of the batches maybe? Like air got trapped inside. Otherwise more would be chiming in, this thread is a year old, so really only a handful of us.
Old 2013-08-27, 5:19pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Yesterday I had a brainstorm.
I've had a big ol' brick kiln for a couple of years, now. So it's not been a good idea to pre-warm rods in it.
I needed to use some Goldstone rod, but it's shocky as all get-out. Then I had an 'aha' moment. I opened the front vent/peephole and poked it in there, leaving enough sticking out to hold (was half a rod).
Worked a treat
And when I put it down, I rested it on top of the torch (Mini CC) so that the end was lying next to the head, keeping it toasty warm. A lot of other things shocked yesterday, but not, for once, that horrible rod of Goldstone

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107