Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-04-18, 9:18am
Sparkle Strumpet

Default When is a Minor Old Enough?

My minor is 6, is it mature yet?

Seriously, I'm noticing that the candles aren't even any longer, even after cleaning. The candles, except when the gas is very low...too low to work . . . suddenly have white/yellow tips and are uneven. (this would be at normal working temps) In the past, cleaning took care of the tips, but I've never had uneven before.

Is it age? Does it need a more thorough cleaning? Should I mature it into another torch? (I will miss it . . . I love this torch.)

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-18, 1:42pm
PyronamixK

OK, it sounds like you are getting enough fuel, but not enough oxygen. This could be due to carbon blocking your oxygen ports. The round tubes that most people clean out with the cleaning wires are the fuel tubes. The other openings around those are your oxygen ports. You should try to clean those out if you can. You will need something skinny, yet sturdy. Maybe if you could get a very fine needle to poke in behind the tubes, that would help. Just pick at it.

Over time, carbon gets baked on and is hard to remove. Don't give up, it's worth a try, especially since you love your torch so much.
Old 2006-04-18, 2:55pm
Sparkle Strumpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
OK, it sounds like you are getting enough fuel, but not enough oxygen. This could be due to carbon blocking your oxygen ports. The round tubes that most people clean out with the cleaning wires are the fuel tubes. The other openings around those are your oxygen ports. You should try to clean those out if you can. You will need something skinny, yet sturdy. Maybe if you could get a very fine needle to poke in behind the tubes, that would help. Just pick at it.

Over time, carbon gets baked on and is hard to remove. Don't give up, it's worth a try, especially since you love your torch so much.

I've been working on them all afternoon, and it's better, but still obvious. (to me). But, I've also been thinking that a torch really doesn't have an age factor, does it? So, cleaning it is probably the answer. I've been cleaning with a tip cleaner doo-hickey that I got from a welding shop. A couple of the bottom holes are very tight, but I'm making progress.

I'm ashamed to admit that it's been a long time since I cleaned it. Used to do it every few weeks, but it's been months....

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.