Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-03-01, 4:09pm
Jane of all trades

Default How long can you go with an oxy tank?

While waiting to find a concentrator, my husband suggested to use tanked oxy. How many hours can I last with a tank? Does it really worth it or am I better to find a concentrator as soon as I can?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-03-01, 4:15pm
Entropy increasing....

HOw big of a tank? We have on of the big ones that stands about 5ft. and we usually fill it up every week, week and a half. Costs us $18 with the extra charges they thow in. Why is there a hazardous materials charge? Don't get that.
Old 2006-03-01, 4:51pm
Jane of all trades

I don't have a tank so I don't know how big it is better be. I intend to have the BBQ propane tank which is 20 pounds but I know nothing about oxy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-03-01, 4:56pm
In search of her path....

depends on your torch and size of tank....
If your running a bobcat or minor and have a 250 Cubic Foot tank that should last you 30-50 hours or so a 250 should last my cheetah 25 hours

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-03-01, 4:57pm
PyronamixK

There are a lot of factors that go into how long a tank of oxygen lasts - size/type of torch, how you work, what you make, etc.

Tank leases can be expensive, depending on where you are.

How long is your wait?
Old 2006-03-01, 4:58pm
Entropy increasing....

You have to pay for the tank and then you take it in and they give you a filled one. Kind of like they used to do with milk bottles.

I guess it depends on how much time you spend on the torch. If you are going to take it in yourself to exchange it, you have to think about size because you have to move it around.

I would go to a welding place, look at the tanks and ask them how many hours they would last. They probably know that.
Old 2006-03-01, 5:03pm
In search of her path....

I rent my tank paid a deposit which I should get back when im done with it if im ever done with it lol and then pay for my monthly rental and the fills.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-03-01, 5:18pm
Jane of all trades

I guess I would use it 2 to 4 hours a day. I have a Minor and work soft glass only. For now, can't find a concentrator under $500 when including shipping and taxes. That's too high for my little budget so I have to wait til I manage to get the funds.

Old 2006-03-01, 5:49pm
Fancy Mammal

I had a Minor, and I was running off one of the "little" tanks, about hip high. (I believe it's an 80, where the big tanks are 200's or 250's) It was a loan from a friend and I could take it in by myself. If I torched a couple of hours every day, it would last me a week, maybe two.
Old 2006-03-02, 5:50am
Spectrum rulz

Default concentrator

I should be so lucky to get a concentrator for $500 you cant get them for under $1000 in Australia so think yourself lucky lol. See its the way you look at things - is the glass half full or half empty.
Old 2006-03-02, 6:43am
ManBearPig

My 282 cf tank (which is probably the same one you are talking about) costs $30 to get filled, and I pay 20¢ a day rental. Kind of high, but I checked and that's the cheapest in town.

On my Tiger Shark, running wide open, I get about 4 hours of torch time. Running just the center fire, I get about 16-18 hours or so.

Old 2006-03-02, 6:51am
Old enough to know better

When I used a tank, the largest - 240 or 250, can't remember - would last about 10 days if I was torching pretty much every day. I loved the tanked O2 but hated moving the tanks - they weigh about 180lbs. I'd probably still be using them if not for the weight. I could have them delivered, but then the cost starts getting prohibitive and since I'm not a full time bead maker, I can't justify it. I'm currently using 2 oxycons. I was running one. This is ok for soft glass, but if you want to start making bigger beads or working boro, you'll want 2 oxycons.

Whatever you do...don't get used to tanked O2 and then switch to one concentrator! Tanked O2 is much better.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-02, 6:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
My 282 cf tank (which is probably the same one you are talking about) costs $30 to get filled, and I pay 20¢ a day rental. Kind of high, but I checked and that's the cheapest in town.

On my Tiger Shark, running wide open, I get about 4 hours of torch time. Running just the center fire, I get about 16-18 hours or so.

282 cf...guess that's what I had too. Forget about the 240 or 250! All I know is that it was the largest tank I could get.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-02, 3:45pm

If your torching on any thing that can be powered with a concentrator. a 255 cubic foot tank.(K tank) Should last you at least 20-30 hours.
a 282(same size as a k tank but higher pressure) should be a few more hours. if on a small torch making smaller size stuff.

But if you are doing huge vases and working on a huge 2 stage torch a 255 tank can also be eating whole in 2-4 hours.
Old 2006-03-02, 4:05pm
oxygen deprived

I've worked on tanked oxy all the time I've melted glass. With my Bobcat, I could go 3-4 weeks on a K, torching 2-4 hours a day.

Just be careful... you'll be spoiled from the tank pressure by the time you get a concentrator. : )

(no beads for sale yet - but some pics of old work)
Old 2006-03-02, 4:18pm
Jane of all trades

Thank you everyone for your answers. I should know before the week-end if I get a concentrator or if I'll begin with a tank.

Old 2006-03-03, 5:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by smutboy420
If your torching on any thing that can be powered with a concentrator. a 255 cubic foot tank.(K tank) Should last you at least 20-30 hours.
a 282(same size as a k tank but higher pressure) should be a few more hours. if on a small torch making smaller size stuff.

But if you are doing huge vases and working on a huge 2 stage torch a 255 tank can also be eating whole in 2-4 hours.
Thanks for clarifying the difference between a 255cf and a 282. Mine were definitely the 255.

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-23, 8:03pm

One 244 tank will last about 40 hours on a Mini CC. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-03-23, 8:37pm
Save the Numbats

At first, I thought the question how long can you go withOUT an oxygen tank.
I'd like to answer that one: NOT VERY FRICKIN LONG!! I'm down to 150 psi and the vile oxygen company didn't come today. I'm getting disturbed over here.

A K tank, they last me ... um, I don't know how many hours but about 2-3 days of making blown beads and pendants from boro on a Lynx.
Old 2006-04-11, 4:13am

Well I'm back to tanks. First I got my very own 80CF tanks which only lasts about 4 hours. I finally rigged something so my tank can be outside so I got another 255CF (K?) tank. I use a mini cc. I just finished up the tank after 4 3-4 hour torching sessions. I'm doing boro so I'm running the mini cc pretty hot and more on the oxidizing side. I got a GREAT price on my oxy refills so I'm like a kid in a candy store.

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-28, 11:51am
borobucaneer

I use a k tank and they last about a shift. I know I am done when I run out of air