TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2015-11-12, 8:59am

Default Switch from NG to Propane Questions

Hi. I've been torching for 10+ years on NG. I recently purchased a (hard to find) copy of Torchworked Marbles by Drew Fritts. On page 39 he has a chart showing the different heat output for different gases. Here's a quote (edited to only include the gases that I'm concerned with).

It's so interesting to me that the actual flame temperature is relative close between the 2 gases, but throw in the primary/secondary flame feature and it's a whole new ballgame!

I've got a GTT Scorpion and 2 Regalia's and currently run on NG. This setup is plenty of power for soft glass, but this chart has me wondering if I should at least TRY Propane and see if I'm able to pull colors out of boro.

If I do go that route, would this kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Devardi-Glas...item338fa24076 (plus a BBQ tank) be a safe setup? I wouldn't need the oxygen Regulator or the Flashback Arrestor for the oxygen side though.

Also, my Scorpion came with the 4 studs already tied together. I'd like to leave it that way, but is it safe to start running propane through hoses that have run NG for probably 5+ years?

Lastly, economically speaking, would it be worth quick connects on the gas lines (propane vs NG)? I don't need the power of Propane for soft glass. Is it worth switching back and forth? Does it hurt the hoses attached to the torch to switch back and forth?

Any better suggestions as to where to purchase what I'd need to get this set up?

Thank you for any and all input!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG

Last edited by missp_32; 2015-11-12 at 9:13am.
Old 2015-11-13, 11:34am

Since you only need the propane regulator, I'd get a nice one (Victor or Smith) and a long enough hose (search for 3/8" T-grade welding hose).

You could get a brass Y with valves, so that you could switch between NG and Propane by turning some knobs, but I'd still recommend closing the shut-offs at the sources (tank/hardline) if you're not going to be switching for a while, or if you're leaving the studio for the night.

I've never tried NG, so I can't comment on the differences, but I do want to try it.

Another thing to consider would be getting a National torch with an HTC-3, HTC-4, or 55-hole whisper tip for boro. Premix torches are usually hotter and more focused than surface mix.
Old 2015-11-15, 12:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Premix torches are usually hotter and more focused than surface mix.
Since GTT triple mixes are surface mix and quite a bit more efficient and hotter and can be more focused then most others, this is just not accurate. Its an old generalization that just doesnt hold anymore.
Old 2015-11-15, 2:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Since GTT triple mixes are surface mix and quite a bit more efficient and hotter and can be more focused then most others, this is just not accurate. Its an old generalization that just doesnt hold anymore.
I don't think triple-mixes like household NG pressures, so it's not really an option here without spending big money.

Have you tried a Whisper Tip? I can't say whether it's stronger than a Lynx or not, but it's on another level from single-orifice tips and other hush tips, as far as how focused and forceful it is.
Old 2015-11-16, 12:57pm

In my experience, nothing is more focused and forceful then either my GTT Mirage center or a herbie 40mm center.
Old 2015-11-16, 1:06pm

Cool, that's good to hear. My Phantom's been out of commission for years, and I've got it packed up to send it off for repairs.
Old 2015-11-18, 7:54am

Default Switch from NG to Propane Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post

Premix are still hotter than GTT. So it is accurate.

If you take a Red Max with a premix top fire with an HTC 3 tip, about the size of a Lynx, the premix will blow the Lynx away.

Last edited by Hammer; 2015-11-18 at 7:57am.
Old 2015-12-01, 2:08pm
Token Male

Patti doesn't have a triple mix, she has a Scorpion. I found that when I went from natural gas to propane on my Scorpion, my concentrators couldn't put out enough pressure to keep up. I run my inner flame on the concentrators and my outer flame on tanked oxygen. NG usually comes into the house at .5 psi but propane is usually set at 5-7 psi. 5 psi from a concentrator is great for .5 psi natural gas but a little week for 7 psi propane on the outer flame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-12-02, 12:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Premix are still hotter than GTT. So it is accurate.

If you take a Red Max with a premix top fire with an HTC 3 tip, about the size of a Lynx, the premix will blow the Lynx away.

Not in my experience. Not even close. Just gonna have to disagree.