LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-06-08, 10:08am

Talking Please help me find a new torch

Could you help me find the best torch?

First a little background. I am a newbie of four months working on a HH torch. While I like some of the effects I can achieve with the HH and haven't learned a lot yet, I am continually frustrated by the length of time it takes to melt glass and the frequency with which the small MAPP canisters freeze up. It is VERY frustrating to be “on a roll” and have to stop to defrost the canister --- throws off my rhythm and creative flow. I haven't been able to find bulk MAPP locally and don't want to use bulk BBQ propane. It makes more sense to just take the plunge and just purchase a dual fuel torch. We already have hard plumbed propane and can use either oxy tanks or a concentrator (detached garage) though I would prefer a torch that does not go through oxy like I can go through Chocolate Lover’s Trash ice cream Since I won't use NG I do not need a low pressure torch. Originally, I had decided upon the Pirahna but now it is no longer available I considered the Barracuda, but it is a bit too pricey and probably too much torch for my needs.

So what are my needs? I like making smaller beads and focals, no more than 18mm, in soft glass - Morretti/Effetre, Vetrofond and Lauscha. I also love reduction frits and want to try Satake, Bullseye, Double Helix and Kugler. Someday I would also like to play with Boro, but don’t anticipate creating any large pieces – maybe some small blown vessels. My style is “impressionist” more than “realist” – rapid strokes of the glass, think organics and animal prints rather than painstaking detail of raised stringer and flowers; though there are times when I do enjoy making detailed dot and/or stringer designs. I haven’t attempted encased florals yet, but they are on my list of things I want to learn. I actually prefer to work fast (even soupy at times) and want a torch that will really MELT glass! I also want to have pin-point spot heating capability. Basically, I want a flexible, low to mid priced (under $400.00) surface mixed torch that could at least run well on 1 oxy concentrator, if not optimally. So what torch do you think would fit my wish list?

Thanks!

~ Tru

Last edited by eklecticmoose; 2006-06-08 at 10:12am.
Old 2006-06-08, 10:10am
ManBearPig

A Minor or Mini CC would do you nicely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•
•
•
Old 2006-06-08, 10:29am
PyronamixK

Have you tried all the distributors (even the little guys)? Someone might have a Piranha stuck back on a shelf somewhere. If you want one that badly, it would be worth the effort to try and find one. Heck, you could probably pick up a used one somewhere, too.

But, if you cannot find one, then there are several small torches out there that woud suit your needs. All of them will work on an oxygen tank. Most of them will run well on a single concentrator.

The Bobcat, Mini CC, Minor, and Betta can all run on a single concentrator. Out of all of those, I believe the Bobcat can get the hottest.

Too bad your budget isn't $435 and you would be willing to work on a tank or two concentrators (or a 10 LPM one). The Lynx would really be nice for what you say you want to do.

I'm sure you'll find something that fits.
Old 2006-06-08, 10:42am
Does it come in Purple???

I jut got a Piranha - test drove it last night. I love it. There are a few still available and the price is right! Generations Glass may still have a couple, Mr. Smiley might be able to get his hands on one or Mike at Auralens.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2006-06-08, 12:07pm
boro color bender

I'll check on the Piranha for you.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-06-08, 1:56pm

Gen Glass is already sold out...as of yesterday

If I can find a Pirahna at a closeout price, then I'll get it. I am a little concerned that it may be difficult to get replacement parts, except that it is the center piece for the bigger Beth torches.

I like the Lynx too. Don't know why, but the Minor just doesn't appeal to me, even though it seems to be very popular. I also want something that the body remains cool with. Mini CC and Wildcat are also possibilities. I guess at this point I should be asking who has a Lynx, Wildcat or Mini CC what they like or dislike about their torch. A good service department is always a plus.

~ Tru
Old 2006-06-09, 6:36am
ManBearPig

A Wildcat will be too big to run off just one concentrator effectively. I have worked quite a bit on both a Minor and Mini CC. Of the two, I prefer the Minor. The Mini CC does get hot when you work on it.

A Lynx will run on a concentrator, but you'd probably have to use one of the larger concentrators (like an M-20) to get full use out of it. A Bobcat, however, runs fine on one 5LPM concentrator.

•
•
•
Old 2006-06-12, 11:16am

I like the Mini CC better than the minor!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-06-12, 2:55pm
boro color bender

No Piranha... the Betta is also a good choice for one concentrator. It runs much cooler than any other Beth.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-06-15, 11:42am

Talking Got A Pirahna!!!!

Thanks to another LE member...I found a brand new Pirahna! Placed the order today, last one in stock and hopefully it will be here soon! Now I am absolutely BROKE but HAPPY.

~ Tru
Old 2006-06-15, 11:50am
Entropy increasing....

I just ordered a Pirahna last night from this place, they have a few left.

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...oducts_id=2380

We bought a Cheetah earlier this week. My DH loves it, but I'm scared of it. lol
Old 2006-06-27, 9:25pm

I have been lampworking for 15 years. I have 12 torches myself and the only torch I use is a GTT torch. I have a starfire, carlisle, minor, red max, mirage, phantom, lynx, national, and a major, plus several hand torches. They are all great torches but hands down, the GTT is the best. Some of my closest friends use GTT torches, including Loren Stump and Robert Mickelsen.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Pati

Old 2006-06-27, 9:26pm

Oops, I also have a mini cc burner.......Pati

Old 2006-06-28, 7:06am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by patiwalton
I have been lampworking for 15 years. I have 12 torches myself and the only torch I use is a GTT torch. I have a starfire, carlisle, minor, red max, mirage, phantom, lynx, national, and a major, plus several hand torches. They are all great torches but hands down, the GTT is the best. Some of my closest friends use GTT torches, including Loren Stump and Robert Mickelsen.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Pati
Rub it in, why don't you? I'm just a fledgling torch collector myself...

•
•
•
Old 2006-06-28, 6:36pm

Well I have a Lucio torch!!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !