LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2006-07-06, 8:41am

Default Why should I buy a Piranha?

Hello,
My last question didn't get answered, so I thought I would rephrase it.

It seems everyone likes the Piranha. It is $100 more than a Carlisle Mini cc. What makes it $100 better? What can it do that the Carlisle can't? Would a beginner really see a difference?

Thanks in advance!
Lee
Old 2006-07-06, 9:07am
Does it come in Purple???

Since you are not getting any responses I will jump in but I am by no means an expert on anything. I just upgraded from a minor. To some it probably would be considered a baby-step upgrade but I LOVE my Piranha. In my opinion it is hotter, melts glass faster but I seem to have more control. I am making the glass move the way I want it to. It also has a very tiny flame which is great for spot melting.

I have no clue about the Mini cc. They are probably both about the same - what are you upgrading from. Also - the Piranhas have stopped production and been replaced with the Bettas but the Piranha is the centerfire of the Baracuda. I didn't really do any research when I made by decision but I am VERY happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2006-07-06, 9:20am

I had (still have) a Piranha. It's a great torch. There is a raging debate that goes on on all of the bulletin boards about torches and each of them have their advantages and disadvantages. Mini CC's have a following that's just as passionate as the Piranha owners. I found my piranha easy to use, had a wide range of flames to work with, a little more difficult than I would like to make a really strong oxidizing flame, but the small flame made working detail possible for me that I would have never dreamed of. I think the Mini-CC doesn't have quite the pencil thin flame that the piranha has and I've heard (dont know) that it is not quite as efficient, but I have also heard that it puts more heat into the glass. I don't have a clue if that's true. I would be willing to bet that you would find either of them satisfactory. Good luck whichever one you buy.
Old 2006-07-06, 9:29am

Well, I'm not an expert and I've only used two torches (hothead and piranha), but I can tell you why I chose a Piranha over a Mini CC. At the time I was trying to decide there were numerous comments about the knobs on a Mini CC getting very hot if run on a single 5 lpm concentrator. I could only afford one concentrator and I adjust the flame a lot while working, so I went with the Piranha. I don't know whether the problem with the hot knobs on the mini cc has been resolved or not, someone else may know about that.

Anyway, I LOVE my Piranha It runs great on a single 5 lpm concentrator and the flame adjusts from a tiny pinpoint to big and bushy.
Old 2006-07-06, 10:13am
Carpe Beadum

I just bought mine and haven't set it up yet *chuckles* But I will say that I chose it because I wanted the ability to get that pinpoint flame. I also read that it gets hot enough for small boro pieces.

But if you want to get one, there aren't a ton of them around anymore since they're out of production. I got mine at Winship Designs, and paid only $250, but they only have a few left!

http://www.winshipdesigns.com/home/w...rderform/185/0

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2006-07-06, 10:16am
ManBearPig

I don't use a Pirhana per se, but the center fire of my Tiger Shark is the same as a Pirhana. I love it. For pendants, beads, etc., it's all I need. It's hotter and more focused than a Minor. Slightly narrower flame, but I don't have any problem keeping long beads warm while working on them.

One thing I really like about the Bethlehem flame is that it seems to heat things from the surface in. Some torches (like the Minor and Mini CC) seem to heat things right to the core pretty quickly. That's fine if you are looking for penetrating heat. Most of the time I'm not. The Bethlehem seems to heat the outside to the point where you can work with it, while still leaving the center solid. You can certainly heat all the way down without difficulty, but for what I do it seems to suit my working style best.

Can you still find Pirhanas anywhere? I know they aren't being made any more. Every place I checked was out of them.

Old 2006-07-06, 5:26pm

I really like the Mini CC.. Every time I use something else I go back to the Mini CC!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-07-06, 5:39pm
Entropy increasing....

I just got a Pirhana a couple of weeks ago and I really like it. I do feel like I have more control.

I haven't been able to get as much color out of raku though. I'm not sure why, but I had the color thing down with my Minor.lol
Old 2006-07-07, 9:20am

Thanks, everyone, I bought one yesterday! Now I guess I need hoses, regulators, and tanks.

Lee
Old 2006-07-07, 2:23pm
what's a senior moment ?

Lee -
I'm betting you'll love it ! I just got my Piranha not long ago (was on a minor) and used it for the second time today (been too hot) melting boro and it was almost like melting butta ! lol ! Compared to the minor, the boro melted much faster ! I gotta say, I'm lovin' it !
Debbie A.
Old 2006-07-10, 10:41am
Floral Obsessed

I have a Piranha and I love it. I chose it because it was recommended by Kristian of Generations Glass and several other folks as the best choice for low-pressure set-ups (ie, natural gas and oxycon). If you're using tanks that factor doesn't matter much. I think the unanimous opinion is that both the CC and the Piranha are way hotter and more precise than the Nortel Minor (though the Minor is a fine torch). I haven't used a CC so I can't comment based on personal experience but I've heard that it has a wider flame and the high-oxy model is good for oxydizing, but would, logically, use more oxygen as well. As mentioned, the Piranha has been discontinued... the "entry-level" model is now the Betta, at around $400. I'm hoping Bethlehem will be able to adjust the price in the future once the R&D costs have been offset. -H.