LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2008-12-20, 12:17pm
Creatrixie

Super! Good luck 'Maven!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2008-12-20, 12:37pm
novembersfyre everywhere

All of my supplies shipped today! This looks like a great thing to do while "watching" TV in the evenings. I usually always do something else like read a book or surf the net while watching TV so I'm more used to listening to TV and I know I will pay attention to the needle!

Old 2008-12-20, 12:45pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
All of my supplies shipped today! This looks like a great thing to do while "watching" TV in the evenings. I usually always do something else like read a book or surf the net while watching TV so I'm more used to listening to TV and I know I will pay attention to the needle!
Oh ya, me too Marybeth! More like "glancing and listening" to the TV.. and I also thought it would be great in the winter since I don't get out to torch when its freezing cold.

Thanks Mary
I'll get to pimpin' my beads. With luck, it'll be no time before I get mine!

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2008-12-20, 5:56pm
Does it come in purple?

OOOOOH! Those are gorgeous beads, Mary. One of my neighbours at the farmers' market sells angora goat wool. That would work, wouldn't it? I'd love an excuse to buy her beautifully coloured wool but I'm so not a knitter! I don't deserve to be a Grandma LOL

P.S. I just ordered the tut from your Etsy store and have to say I love your goddesses.

Carlisle Hellcat, OGSI generator, propane

Last edited by Fran; 2008-12-20 at 6:01pm.
Old 2008-12-21, 2:02am
Creatrixie

I'm like that with the tv too MaryBeth and 'Maven...
and I found out the hard way to keep your eyes on the needle when you're felting! Ouch!

Thanks Fran! ...and thanks for ordering my tut! I just emailed it out to you (the email address that was on your paypal) I'm glad that you appreciate my goddess beads. I can't wait for my next opportunity to get back on the torch to make more!

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-12-21, 7:51am
Queen Of the Kitty Parade

OMG MARY!!!!!! THANKYOU FOR THE TUT!!!!!!!!!: happy:
Old 2008-12-21, 2:07pm
Creatrixie

You're quite welcome, Susan! Ho Ho Ho!

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-12-21, 5:08pm
moth to the flame

Ok, fessin up here....I have to MAKE the felt first?

Oh Lord!

They sell felt at Hobby Lobby.....lol....

Old 2008-12-21, 9:58pm
Creatrixie

Talking Well, yes...

LOL, 'Maven... yes, but it's possible to buy the beads made up for you already if you don't want to needlefelt them and just want to decorate them with stitching/beading etc.

(you use wool roving, not the flat crafting felt...that would be a whole new tutorial. Hey! Thanks for inspiring some new ideas! I'll have to write that down in my sketchbook to explore after xmas) Thing is, you'll likely get solid colours. If you want to marble your colours, it's best to make your own.

Here's a link to a good site for buying ready-made (solid colour) wool beads:
http://www.ornamentea.com/theshop/Fiber.html I think it'll cost less to make your own, and I could be "giving business away" to ornamentea by suggesting them to you for supplies, but as far as I'm concerned, the important thing is helping you to CREATE your own funky wool beads!

If you'd like some of my wild and crazy marbled colour wool balls to ornament and turn into beads, I'm SURE that we could work something out. In fact, I'd be willing to trade for glass or something! PM me with an offer...

I rather enjoy the zen-like process of making up a bunch of beads. Granted, I don't try to make them all the exact same size. I'm much more of a "let's put together a bunch of individual things that coordinate with each other" kinda' gal!

~Mary

COE 104

Last edited by MerryFool; 2008-12-21 at 10:01pm. Reason: Clarification
Old 2008-12-22, 4:37pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

Mary,

I just bought some roving and tools from the sources you provided. WOW, the colors from Winderwood Farms are so luscious! I agree with Mary Beth, this will be a fun project to do in front of the TV.

Thanks again Mary for a terrific tut!!

Happy Holidays to all!

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2008-12-22, 4:54pm
Creatrixie

Awesome! Happy felting to all during the Holiday break!

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-12-22, 5:31pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryFool View Post
LOL, 'Maven... yes, but it's possible to buy the beads made up for you already if you don't want to needlefelt them and just want to decorate them with stitching/beading etc.

(you use wool roving, not the flat crafting felt...that would be a whole new tutorial. Hey! Thanks for inspiring some new ideas! I'll have to write that down in my sketchbook to explore after xmas) Thing is, you'll likely get solid colours. If you want to marble your colours, it's best to make your own.

Here's a link to a good site for buying ready-made (solid colour) wool beads:
http://www.ornamentea.com/theshop/Fiber.html I think it'll cost less to make your own, and I could be "giving business away" to ornamentea by suggesting them to you for supplies, but as far as I'm concerned, the important thing is helping you to CREATE your own funky wool beads!

If you'd like some of my wild and crazy marbled colour wool balls to ornament and turn into beads, I'm SURE that we could work something out. In fact, I'd be willing to trade for glass or something! PM me with an offer...

I rather enjoy the zen-like process of making up a bunch of beads. Granted, I don't try to make them all the exact same size. I'm much more of a "let's put together a bunch of individual things that coordinate with each other" kinda' gal!
What a gal you are, ready to further the artistic cause no matter what the cost! Such a sweet offer but honestly, I'd rather have *your* goodies!
I just bet we can work something out! Thanks!

I am going out to eat in a bit but will PM you later and we will see what we can work out.

Old 2008-12-23, 6:02pm
Does it come in purple?

I'm so happy, my neighbour at the farmer's market had the right kind of roving, plus she sells the needles too!!! So I don't have to wait and can get at it over Christmas. Yay!! I just need embroidery floss so I'm off to battle the crowds tomorrow morning but I'm sure that department won't be too bad.

Merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone!

Carlisle Hellcat, OGSI generator, propane
Old 2008-12-28, 10:40pm
Creatrixie

Hey, that's awesome, Fran! (Fran-tastic, really...)
Can't wait to see what you Create!

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-12-28, 11:01pm
She's Back & Burnin'

I have seen these at a show. But they were no way as intricate as the examples in your pics. They are soooo cute! And I was thinking along the same lines of zipper pulls.

Can a beginner make these? I am talking just the basic ball? I would have to make ummm...100 or so before I get the hang of it. Just believe me on that one... LOL!

This one is one my list for after the 1st.

Sara

Old 2009-01-02, 7:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would love to learn to felt beads!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-02, 8:26pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I've been poking away at one while watching movies. It keeps evolving. Mary's tut is just wonderful! The not so wonderful thing is that I think I have new addiction. Fortunately tool cost is negligible. And a little wool goes a long way! So many pretty colors, though

Old 2009-01-02, 8:32pm
ninja thread killer

ooOOOOooooOOO!!! I've been wanting to learn how to do this!
Old 2009-01-02, 9:21pm
Type ZZZ personality

Great beads Mary! Love the embellishments!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2009-01-05, 6:50pm
Creatrixie

Thanks Rustic...
I hope that you get as hooked as I am, Karen!
Thanks MaryBeth I did a lot of beadmaking over the Christmas Holidays...I got LOTS of small sized bead balls made up and I've stitched/beaded 26 of them for the Signature Charm Exchange in the patio! I'll share photos soon!

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2009-01-05, 7:21pm
Satake Woman!

I absolutely adore your wool beads. Especially the ones with embroidery and seed beads.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2009-01-05, 7:33pm
Creatrixie

Thanks Jo! I'll have more to show soon...I'm hoping that people who bought/got my tutorial will start posting pics of their Creations soon!

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2009-01-06, 4:47pm
Creatrixie

Talking Beads made up over the xmas break

Hey guys,
Here's a pic of a bunch of beads that I made up for the "Signature Charm Swap" exchange in the patio:

They're smaller than I usually make (see penny for scale) since they had to fit on a charm bracelet!

I never thought that I could get that many done (26) so quickly, but I just muscled down and worked on them!

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2009-01-06, 6:03pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Those are gorgeous, Mary! I've made one so far. I keep adding stuff to it and it isn't very big! I've been needling patterns on it with bits of wool just to see how well I can do detail work. It's lots of fun!

In the meanwhile I've acquired enough wool to create my own flock of sheep and about 15 different books! I'm really interested in the sculptural work.

Do you do anything other than the beads? It's just amazing what I've seen that can be done with just a needle and some wool!

Old 2009-01-06, 6:14pm
Dangerous Woman

Mary Beth I think needle felting is the fiber equivalent to Crack! Beautiful charms Mary!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-01-06, 7:14pm
Creatrixie

Thanks Mary Beth and Nancy...
I have pretty much been doing beads at this point. I'm experimenting with size and shape and how to decorate them. I love how they look in jewellery along with lampwork!
You're right, it's addictive. I've seen some fabulous needle-felted sculptures that people have done...

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2009-01-07, 4:34am

What a wonderful assortment of wool beads, Mary!

Old 2009-01-07, 9:35am
Creatrixie

Thanks Steph!
I peeped in your Etsy shop, and your "Oasis" bead is yummy! I really liked the pair of "Aurilla" earrings too! So shiny....

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2009-01-07, 9:59am

Oh, thank you! I'm hopelessly enjoying the silver glass....

Back to your regularly scheduled wool felting thread!

Old 2009-01-07, 10:28am
Resident hippie

I make bigger ones without embroidering them - just adding patterns by needling. I sell them as stress balls or relaxation balls and very big ones as 'baby play balls'. People love them.
I used to use all roving to start with then I realized I could get the same effect by making a ball of spun wool and just stretching the roving over it to cover. It works well and saves on the expensive rovings. You can use any pure wool left over from knitting projects so long as it isn't looped. The needle gets caught in that stuff.
Mary your tut looks great and if I didn't know how to do it already I would buy it!

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman