Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2015-07-23, 1:23pm

Post Opinions needed, for total newbie

Hello everyone,
Many thanks for taking a moment to give your much needed advice and opinions....

My question is: I have only been reading, studying tutorials, etc. and would love to try making glass beads in various shapes and patterns. My one desire is, to be able to use a lot of different colors in my work. Now, I would like to start out with using just MAPP gas and that hot head torch (for financial reasons and logistics). I don't have a problem with needing a lot of time to create a bead, such as those torches being "slow" as I've read some people complain about etc.

Am I wasting my time trying to create things like custom color stringers to use in my work with the simple torch & MAPP gas ?? I'd like to use metallics as well, but am not sure if using that humble, simple torch will be appropriate ? I am not comfortable with having Oxygen tanks in the basement, and the setup of the propane/oxy would presently pose a problem to get installed. I would be willing, down the road to get an oxy concentrator, money permitting, but right now, it's the MAPP gas I'm thinking about, and wanting to learn how to make beads with. I just want a large selection of colors that will work with the single gas method.

I have read some of the torch Q&A's in other threads, and it's quite extensive, not really addressing my questions . I am looking into a glass bead making class in the near future, should one become available, but right now, I'd like to think about all the parameters for making glass beads, etc.

Sorry for being long-winded here, many thanks for any opinions and guidance.
Old 2015-07-23, 1:38pm
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry Marquessa View Post
Am I wasting my time trying to create things like custom color stringers to use in my work with the simple torch & MAPP gas ?? I'd like to use metallics as well, but am not sure if using that humble, simple torch will be appropriate ?
A HotHead and MAPP will be fine for making your own stringers. Metallics will be tricky in some cases because of reduction, but you can work around or with that as you want.

There are some artists on here that create AMAZING things on a HotHead.

My post is coming from someone who has about 1 hour experience on a HotHead - I'm just basing this off of what I've read on here.

-BEP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-07-23, 2:04pm

The Hot Head will work fine for most of your regular beadmaking requirements. I'm not sure about the silver glass since I was using my HH before there was silver glass available (1996-2003).
Old 2015-07-23, 9:10pm
Loving learning

Check out this thread
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...hlight=Hothead
Old 2015-07-24, 5:36am

I did several years on a hot head. Reduction glasses work beautifully. Striking glasses will be tough.
Old 2015-07-24, 7:57am

The thread Eileen pointed you to is an excellent one. You can do a LOT on a hot head! Have you thought about getting a kiln yet, or do you have access to one where you can batch anneal your beads? And don't forget adequate ventilation; lots of info in the studio and safety sections. Most of all, have fun!

Mimi
Old 2015-07-25, 10:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xMI View Post
The thread Eileen pointed you to is an excellent one. You can do a LOT on a hot head! Have you thought about getting a kiln yet, or do you have access to one where you can batch anneal your beads? And don't forget adequate ventilation; lots of info in the studio and safety sections. Most of all, have fun!

Mimi
Thank you all for the great input, I appreciate it. I don't have a kiln yet, (boo) ....but I was planning on getting one with a bead door. As far as ventilation goes, I haven't even gotten there yet......I'm still "ruminating" on the gas issues......and the hot head torch.....I don't even know what "striking glass" is.....yikes.....and I'm still unclear about "reduction" issues....I presume the issues involve burning the glass and wrecking the colors or metallic components ?? I did watch some dichroic bead making tutorials, and I do understand that it's very sensitive in the way you heat/melt it etc. But, I still have a lot to master before I sit down with a torch and glass. I'd never even start until I got the kiln to anneal them, I'd hate to make something and then have it crack on me.....plus the cost of wasting glass etc. But thank you all, you've been wonderful
Old 2015-07-25, 10:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepnewt View Post
A HotHead and MAPP will be fine for making your own stringers. Metallics will be tricky in some cases because of reduction, but you can work around or with that as you want.

There are some artists on here that create AMAZING things on a HotHead.

My post is coming from someone who has about 1 hour experience on a HotHead - I'm just basing this off of what I've read on here.

-BEP
thanks so much
Old 2015-07-25, 10:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
The Hot Head will work fine for most of your regular beadmaking requirements. I'm not sure about the silver glass since I was using my HH before there was silver glass available (1996-2003).
thanks so much
Old 2015-07-25, 10:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssi View Post
I did several years on a hot head. Reduction glasses work beautifully. Striking glasses will be tough.
thanks so much