No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-03-10, 7:26pm

Lightbulb Mini Optic mold discussion

Hey!
I wanted to start a discussion about optic molds, and how they get used for small scale lampworking. I have read some of articles about how full size shops use them, and lots of threads about businesses that use them. The molds available on the net run from about 60 to over a hundred bucks! Thats fine for a full size business, but for a small desktop size work area, what is really necessary and usefull? Does anyone use them to pull fancy stringers, or are they just used for drawing large canes and making production runs of murrinis?

I am in the final stages of designing a new set of handheld optics, that are brass and stainless steel, and will come in 4 or 5 models. I have made a few prototypes, and pulled a few stringers the other day, (that made me want a crucible kiln of course...) The idea was to get about 1 foot per pull, and only use a half a rod or so of glass, just enough for small projects. I made one pull using the 4 post prototype, and used black, then white, then clear, and got a nice cross in the middle. The inner core diameter of the mold is about 1/4 inch, the size of a standard clear rod.

Here is a shot of the almost finished prototype, with a clear rod so you can see what size I'm talking about:

I figured I would ask the experts for any suggestions you might have about length, inner core dimension, spacing between rods, or anything else that comes to mind. Just want improve on whats available, and to make it big enough to get about a foot of the finished stringer/cane/murrini.
Feel free to post suggestions or comments, and you can PM me if this is something you just gotta have, might motivate my building momentum!
CncAlchemy
Old 2006-03-10, 7:40pm
<--- Time traveler

That tool looks wonderful! Not that I'm an expert, but I use the small optic molds to make murrini and striped or twisted cane. I like to make at least two feet at a shot when I'm making cane, so I have enough to experiment with or to "stock up" on patterns I use a lot. My finished product is usually about 4-6mm in diameter. I have a 12-rib mold and a 5-rib mold. The 12-rib is nice for making multi-color patterns; I can use three or four colors and keep them evenly spaced. The 5-rib is good for more of a petal cross-section. I actually wish I had something in between, like an 8-rib or 7-rib. Being able to change out the pattern in one tool would be fantastic. I think it would be fun to use. My only question is, how comfortable would I be getting my glass gather and then pushing it down towards my hand. In theory that seems a bit scarey; I don't know if it would make me nervous in practice or not.

Courtney
Old 2006-03-10, 7:50pm

That looks like a way cool tool. I have an optic mold and use it for vine cane, mostly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-03-10, 8:01pm

Hey - Thanks for the details on molds and final dimensions on the canes. I do have plans for a 7 and 8 rib mold too, once I get these finished. I actually turned it horizontally after pushing the glass a in a bit, and it went smooth and quick, no worries about hot glass above my hand.

Thanks for the comments!
Old 2006-03-11, 4:18am
Embracing My Wonkiness

Hello, CN. That tool set looks very interesting! I hope you get a good response to your thread here.

It would be great to see a tutorial done using you set of tools. Especially for newbs like myself who are very interested but aren't really sure how to approach something like this.

Good luck to you!

Lil
Old 2006-03-11, 4:36am

I like the idea of hand held small optic molds. What is the predicted price range? Seems that you're shooting for less than the going rate on the full sized optic molds, right?

Great idea! I look forward to when you start offering them! If you're developing a list, put me on it!

Cindy

Old 2006-03-11, 6:12pm

Firelilly - Good idea, I will try to get some pictures up, once I finish the design. I guess I'll have to clean off the workbench, that might take a while...

Cindy2 - I will definitely be going for cheaper than the full sized solid molds, I want to make collecting a set of them affordable for people that do this just for fun.
I'll put you on the msg list, Thanks!

Old 2006-03-11, 6:49pm
oxygen deprived

Oooh! Cool idea! I don't have any technical stuff to add, but I'd definitely be interested in the final product.

(no beads for sale yet - but some pics of old work)
Old 2006-03-11, 7:04pm
maybe tomorrow

I make organic beads, but I use a lot of canes in my work, and like Courtney, would like to get about a 2 ft pull. Mine are usually between 3-5mm in diameter.

I've looked often at the optic molds available, but though I'm usually willing to pay for tools, have just not been able to bring myself to purchase one yet at those prices. I've got a makeshift one from a block of wood and nails, but if there was an affordable alternative to the optic molds, I'd definitely be interested.

Last edited by Toni Lutman; 2006-03-12 at 5:20pm.
Old 2006-03-11, 7:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp
My only question is, how comfortable would I be getting my glass gather and then pushing it down towards my hand. In theory that seems a bit scarey; I don't know if it would make me nervous in practice or not.

Courtney
Maybe it could be built with a hemisphere or cone shaped guard over the handle. You know kind of like a rapier or epee' used in fencing? That would keep you from possibly driving hot glass into your hand...just an idea.

Eric
Old 2006-03-11, 8:30pm
<--- Time traveler

Eric - good idea! Reminded me of the paper cones you put on the base of candles when you're holding them in the hand, so you won't drip hot wax on yourself, drop the candle and burn the place down. Not as sophisticated as your example!

Courtney
Old 2006-03-12, 2:39pm

ToniL - thanks for the length and width dimensions.

I think I have a solution for the people that would like a handguard. Like I said before, I ended up turning the tool/mandrel horizontally immediatly after the glass hit the mold, so the glass never was above my hand. But here's a quick solution:

I could add a small screw on the back of the mold, that would attach a square piece of sheet metal just under the optic mold, just enough to cover your hand/wrist. Its not quite a rapier handguard, but this would keep the price down and I wouldnt have to try to cut perfect circles out of sheet metal. This would be an add on accessory, of course, but I could add the feature to each mold without any major stock/design changes.

Thanks for the idea everyone.

Any other comments on gather size, pull length, rib spacing/length, will be appreciated. I'm starting to get the itch to go shopping for parts!

Old 2006-03-16, 1:51am

I had time to make some adjustments and another set of prototypes this week, and thought I would post a couple pictures. I adjusted the rib spacing to allow more glass in the mold, and made a few yards of stringers.

I used white to start, then encased it in red, and encased in blue, pressing into a 3 rib mold. It was easy to press horizontally, and you can spin the mold & mandrel if the gather is too liquid. Cooling the back of the blob with a brass reamer solidified it enough to push in without moving around on the mandrel.

The steps were, make a cylinder - press - encase and melt - press - encase and melt, and pull. I got about 3 feet of good stringer with a white triangle in the middle. This test run used about 6-7 inches of glass rod, perfect for a small batch. It was fast too, even had time to make few marbles after I was done!

I'll have to get more solid colors and try 4 layers now. Fun stuff!
-cncalchemy

Old 2006-03-16, 5:49am
<--- Time traveler

Looks good! I can't wait to see more pics.

Courtney
Old 2006-03-18, 1:16pm

Tools are ready!
The first batch of handheld optic molds are finished and ready to go! I have completed testing, and started manufacturing small batches. These will work great for small to medium sized projects, perfect for hobby or small studio use. Thanks to everyone who responded with comments and suggestions.

There are 3 models available. They are all built with stainless steel ribs, solid brass base and handles, and nice walnut handgrip. The mold ribs are 2" long, and work great with small amounts of glass, easily making 1 to 4 foot pulls depending on thickness. The long brass handle and walnut grip keep your hands away from the hot glass, and protected from the heat. Here are a few pictures of the finished product:

3 Rib Optic Mold - Triangle

4 Rib Optic Mold - Cross

5 Rib Optic Mold - Star

These will be for sale for half price compared to Steinert optic molds!
I am selling them for $33 each, or $89 for a set of 3. You can PM me to order, or check at my ebay store for a quick purchase. You can view more pictures and details in my ebay listings.

-Cncalchemy

Old 2006-03-18, 5:59pm
borobucaneer

They look pretty cool...makin' any hot fingers?
Old 2006-03-18, 7:16pm
maybe tomorrow

Looks great. I'd like to try one. Sent you a PM.

Old 2006-03-18, 7:41pm

CooL! Just ordered one. ~Juliet

...overlooking Mill Creek on the Chesapeake Bay...
Old 2006-03-18, 8:19pm

baylie - Hmmm hot fingers, maybe at some point.

Thanks for the orders everyone, I'll ship them out on monday!
-cnc

Old 2006-03-20, 6:23am
Embracing My Wonkiness

Any pics of the finished canes or mille pieces after cane is cut?

Lil
Old 2006-03-20, 7:48am
Mary Lockwood

Yeah Lil, that's what I want too.

Old 2006-03-21, 2:16pm

I am working on that, I keep using the big pieces up.
I just got some new solid colors, so hopefully I can get a clearer picture. No pressure for the perfect shot or anything!

-cnc

Old 2006-03-23, 6:35pm
maybe tomorrow

I received mine today and it looks great! I ordered the 5-rib one. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try it for a few days because I have a show this weekend and I'm trying to get everything priced and ready.

Thanks Barry!

Old 2006-03-23, 9:17pm

Thanks Toni, Glad you like it.

Good luck at the show!

Old 2006-03-24, 5:51am
<--- Time traveler

I received mine yesterday, too and they have a really nice weight and balance in the hand and are very well-made. I'll let you know when I get a chance to use them! I've got the flu right now, so no getting on the torch for a while!

Thanks -

Courtney
Old 2006-03-24, 10:50pm

I bought the 5 rib one and received it this week. I have used it to make floral and leaf ribbed stringer and am thrilled with the results! I didn't have a problem with the molten glass over my hand because as soon as it touched the tool it cooled down enough that it was no longer moving. I can't wait to try other things with it, it is a very well designed cool tool!!!
Mary T
Old 2006-03-27, 5:35pm

Thanks for the good review!

Thats a great idea, using it for vines and leaves. Now I need some more green glass, I have to give that a try next session.

Old 2006-03-27, 6:03pm
Satake Woman!

pictures, pictures!!!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-03-28, 7:34am

I just PMd you.

Old 2006-03-29, 10:19pm

Pictures Pictures, Ok Ok!

I got some green glass and had some time to try out the vine cane idea. The cane came out good, and my camera even decided to cooperate.

This is a shot of a cane made using the 5 rib mold. I used white for a base cylinder, pressed in the mold, then added a layer of dark green, rounded and pressed, added clear to the 5 mold indentions, and pulled. Nice and quick, produced a good repeatable pattern, and only used about 6-7 inches of glass!

The rest of the cane that is smaller diameter will work good for vine. I'm going to use these slices for practice making a Scottish paperweight with millefiori's.

Off to melt...