Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-02-25, 8:49pm

Default Implosions - FYI

Just in case anybody should ask you who is great at making implosions? Don't give them my name.

Just in case anybody should ask you who is ok at making implosions? Don't give them my name.

Just in case anybody should ask you who is moderately crappy at making implosions? Don't give them my name, still too high a level of expertise for me to attain! I am wishing I could get UP to moderately crappy!

I've tried this for a couple of years now. All day today. Again. I'm not going to give up, I just wanted to be sure you knew who NOT to call, so you wouldn't , you know, waste any time.

I think I might over implode. Or maybe - I don't know. All I know is that everything looks fat and sloppy and I can NOT get any definition!!!!!!!

Is there and AARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH icon?
Old 2007-02-25, 10:16pm
Serenity Now!

Oh poor Christy! I feel your frustration - I've spent many a day trying to achieve stuff - all for naught...

Implosions are not my "thang", but heres hoping one of our resident addicts will chime in to try and help you out...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-02-26, 5:33am
I'm too sexy for my shirt

If you would take a picture, everyone in here can see so we can help. Sounds to me like you are pushing down to hard. But just my thoughts. Once you put the frit, stringer, dots, etc. and melt in, you only push about half as hard as when you are making the first initial push. Does that make sense? It is better to push several times then one hard.

Jerri
Old 2007-02-26, 6:39am

Default Warning - Contains Graphic Images

WARNING - EXTREMELY UNSETTLING PHOTOS - NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART - BE FOREWARNED!!! GO BACK NOW!!!

In the interest of furthering the knowledge of lampworking with boro, I debase myself and post the following horrible images...

Attached Images

Last edited by ChristyPhelps; 2007-02-26 at 7:18am.
Old 2007-02-26, 6:40am

one more
Attached Images

Old 2007-02-26, 7:16am
ManBearPig

Christy,

Let me know when you are going to be up this way again. I can tell right now what you are doing wrong. I have a friend with a digital video camera who is going to come by in a week or so and I'm going to do a bunch of video tutorials. Implosion pendants are one of the first things we're going to do. I've tried to type it out, but going back and reading it, it just doesn't make sense. It's one of those "a picture is worth 1000 words" things, and in this case I think a video will be worth 1000 pictures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-02-26, 7:20am

Thanks, Chad - I reach a point where the implosion is looking good, but at that point, the whole thing is WAY too thick. Like an inch and a half! So if I want it to be a pendant, I need to flatten it, but you see what happens. The diameter is always way too small and also when I try to flatten it - gently - it all goes off kilter.Very frustrating.
Old 2007-02-26, 8:05am

Cosmo will you be making a DVD which will be available for purchase that covers implosions?

I have the essential marble making DVD and essential bead making, essential lamp work 2, are there any others out there that would maybe be useful to buy?

In particular I am keen to master implosions. but being UK based good lamp work courses are hard to come by unfortunately so I tend to rely on books and DVD's.

Old 2007-02-26, 8:19am
Dangerous Woman

My problem is it won't implode at all. I spent over an hour turning my punty in the flame and all I got was frustrated. It didn't move one little bit.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-02-26, 8:26am
ManBearPig

I have been talking with my friend who was going to help me make the DVD's. Instead of doing that, I think what we're going to do is have a web site where you pay a small "membership fee" and then can view/download the videos at will. Maybe something where you pay per video. It will be easier than having to make DVD's and running into shipping problems, production issues, and problems with the DVD's not being viewable by people outside the US.

I haven't done anything like that before, so I'm still researching all the details. I have a bit of work to do before I'm at that point anyways, but I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 2007-02-26, 8:31am
The Venerable Bead

christy what diameter clear rod are you using?
what torch, oxygen and propane/gas are you using?
pm me for my phone number. if you are going to torch tonight say between 8-10pm EST maybe I can talk you through one? all hope is not lost. I think you just need more precise dot placement and perhaps a thicker clear rod, at least 12mm maybe 14?

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-02-26, 11:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venbead View Post
I think you just need more precise dot placement and perhaps a thicker clear rod, at least 12mm maybe 14?
Yes! That was my first reaction.
And Christy, don't fret.
You can't fix something until you ask for help, right?
lol... I ask for it all the time!

Good luck! Keep the faith and keep your chin up!
YOU CAN DO IT!

Jo
Old 2007-02-26, 1:48pm

squished tips of things is usually from not having the glass on the lens side soft enough, so as you press down on the bottom the dots/petals are hitting 'the roof' and cant go up/in so they go out and flatten into eachother. (of course squishing down the top to make it flatter will do that too) i usually get maria at least 2 if not 3 squishes to start to a deep, tall, not nec. wide section of clear, before adding color and marvering bottom. check temp of top, basically heat must be where you want the glass to go, in addition to heating the glass you want to move, make sense? tought to explain. think of pushing clay against the table, makes it flatten because its hard, as oppsed to pushing it into honey. where you heat and angle effects how it implodes. took me forever to get it, but i did eventually, wow that was a great day. the design on the bottom should dissapear to a pin point when all the color has gone inside and bloomed up into the clear. i first got success with just placing a few small dots in a circle in the center. simple design let me see easier what was happening, then after i got the idea of what was happening i added more detail. if you add subsequent dots or stripes after imploding and marvering a few times you will have a layer of clear between the petals/dot rows. just a way to play with design. to get top flatter you can try when your done imploding and have added backing color if any wanted, punti bottom hold upright under flame and let flame move clear around to the sides, just be careful your heating clear outer layer of lens not heating deep into the design or it will alter it. then add loop if its a pendant.
ro
Old 2007-02-26, 4:12pm
Serenity Now!

Christy (my b'day twin) - you're one funny girl! Loved all the warning stuff - and you're truly not far away from sweet success...

You guys are all so awesome - really, really NICE - but shhhhh - I won't tell anybody, k?!

Chad - that site sounds like a cool idea - can't wait 'til you get it up and running...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-02-26, 7:43pm

Jo, Val, everybody thanks for coming to my pity party!

Ro - that makes sense. I heat the face a lot, but -- well no, actually, I heat the whole thing because usually the rod I've begun with eventually elongates at the point where it meets the maria and throws the whole thing off kilter. I sound wishy-washy, don't I. I"M GRASPING AT STRAWS HERE!.

Paula, I measured and it's only 10mm that's one lonely centimeter. Too small? I appreciate the phone offer, but I'd be too nervous that I was taking up too much of your time.

Think I'd do any better with tubing?
Old 2007-02-26, 9:13pm

Christy have you looked at Chad's tut on his site? It shows the angle of the maria and where the flame should be. It sounds like to me a little bigger rod 11-12 might be easier, and heat just the tread of the tire, with more of the flame toward the dots, instead of the rod. If its getting floppy, you're getting too much heat on the rod. And if you look at Chad tut, the angle of the rod is what makes the implosion happen too. It's arkward at first until you do it a few times. Sorry if that's not making sense. Good luck!
Angie
Old 2007-02-27, 6:30am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyPhelps View Post
Jo, Val, everybody thanks for coming to my pity party!

Ro - that makes sense. I heat the face a lot, but -- well no, actually, I heat the whole thing because usually the rod I've begun with eventually elongates at the point where it meets the maria and throws the whole thing off kilter. I sound wishy-washy, don't I. I"M GRASPING AT STRAWS HERE!.

Paula, I measured and it's only 10mm that's one lonely centimeter. Too small? I appreciate the phone offer, but I'd be too nervous that I was taking up too much of your time.

Think I'd do any better with tubing?
I personally think tubing is more difficult to work than rod when first starting out. 10mm should be fine, though. We taught a class a few weeks ago and the students made them off 9mm rods. Obviously the finished product ended up being smaller than if they started with larger rod, but it worked fine.

Just from what you are describing, I think you are getting it too hot. Try heating less and pressing more gently. It will take two or three presses to get it to implode, but it will be more controllable.

Old 2007-02-27, 8:15am

Tubing + Jo = DON'T MIX... lol
Old 2007-02-27, 8:23am

Christy, you are on your way to making great pansies already! Don't give up on the implosions. Bigger rod, heat the rim, take your time with several gentle presses.... Took me awhile to figure it out. My first mistake was not using a big enough rod.......