Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-02-28, 12:05am

Default where do I get a smitch tail stock holder

I am sure that I spelled that wrong but I am looking for the tool that you use to hold your mandrel level when making your bead. I think it is call a smiritch tail stock holder. Please help me find one.
Thanks Lori

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-02-28, 1:37am

Here ya go:
http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/shaping_tools.html

SMIRCICH-HENLEY GRAPHITE PADDLE ...... $25.00

This 2" X 4" graphite paddle incorporates the Smircich Tail Stock Holder (listed separately in this catalog) into its design. One of the outside corners is clipped off at a 45 angle and has a cup shape. Vince Henley greatly improved on this by designing a stainless steel insert for the cup shape. Like the Smircich Tail Stock Holder, the paddle's special feature is used by placing the tip of the mandrel into the cup to steady it. By holding the paddle/tail stock holder in one hand and the mandrel in the other, you can control the bead within the flame more easily. It becomes instantly more stationary as you rotate the mandrel allowing you to place the bead in the flame exactly where you need it and keep the bead on center.
Old 2007-02-28, 4:39am

I made my own! well worth doing so long as you have a graphite paddle already.

I got DH to drill a small hole into the side of my graphite paddle, do it wide enough for the largest mandrel you use to turn easily in, you can put a notch in the top edge for when your blowing glass as well! Graphite is easy to work with its fairly soft.

another useful tip worth remembering, is you need to either pinch your bead release or wipe it off from the tip which you'll put in the tail stock bit or it makes your bead release crumble and end up in or on your bead and could ruin your bead, or break the bead release under your bead.

Old 2007-02-28, 5:49am

I made mine too. Just had fine sand paper on the table and rubbed the corner till I had it where I wanted it then took a drill bit (just held it in my fingers as the graphite is so soft) and kept "drilling" it till it was as deep as I wanted it. Took about 5 min total. You can also fix your edges too with really fine sand paper too. I have to redress my Mikey chisel all the time when I drop it on the floor. Too bad I cant seem to keep dropping my bent tungston rake. Had to buy a new one at last Gathering (had the previous one for 4 years) and used the new one about 15 min and dropped it and broke it too. Whats up with that?? Have one for 4 years then now cant keep from dropping them. Still havnt replaced it since I hate to pay shipping on just it and cant spend extra for a full order now LOL Guess that will be my yearly purchase at the Gathering LOL
Old 2007-02-28, 8:28am

There is also a Tail Stock Holder that is separate from the graphite paddle. Frantz has it. I can't get a link to work, but you can find it by searching for Smircich. I thought Arrow Springs also had it, but I couldn't find it on their site.
Or you could make a mandrel holder from a bent 3/32" mandrel

Last edited by Judi_B; 2007-02-28 at 8:30am.
Old 2007-02-28, 9:27am
FireDancer Glass

You can also order from his website directly.

Christy
Old 2007-02-28, 10:59am
Missing presumed fed

I've never done it, but I've heard you can make something that serves the same purpose by taking a thick rod of glass (boro might be best), heating a gather, squishing it into a lollipop, then using a thick poker to put a dent in the center big enough to hold your mandrel. You'll want to be careful to put the dent in the exact center.

The advantage of having the mandrel holder in the corner of your graphite paddle is that it's one less tool cluttering up your table. The reason for the metal insert that Vince Henley came up with is that because graphite is so soft, if you just drill the hole in the paddle itself, eventually through use, the hole becomes deeper and deeper and traps your mandrel. You can keep sanding down the corner of your paddle, but there's a limit to how much you can do that, too.

Byrdbeads, I think I remember reading on Arrow Springs's website that they'll repoint your tungsten pick if you break it. I think you can do it yourself, too, although I don't know how. If you post a question, someone might give you directions on how to do it. (I guess it depends on how big a piece was left after you broke it, though.)
Old 2007-02-28, 11:08am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I use Chemsharp to re-point tungsten picks.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-02-28, 2:06pm
flame on

You can buy a Tail Stock Holder from Heritage Glass for $9.95
www.HeritageGlass.com look under their tool page 2.
This is where I got mine and it's worth every penny!!
Old 2007-03-01, 9:18pm

Grind or saw off a corner of your graphite marver at a 45 degree angle. Take a drill bit 1/8" or slightly larger and drill a hole in the center of the bevel, about 1/8" deep. You have your Tail Stock holder in 5 minutes. 10 minutes if you count clean-up.

Steve