Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-02-24, 7:44pm
Senior Moment

Default Effetre Rods ID...help!

I ordered that 2 lb hand pulled special from Frantz and I'm stumped. I've ordered it once before, but was able to ID most of them. This time, no. I have figured out some; Caribbean, EDP, Dark Matter, but most of them have me scratching my head because they are colors I don't have. And while there are some awesome Effetre color charts out there, none of them show the rod ends! And some that I have are similar in color, but very different in composition. So, I have a ton of pics; maybe some of you Effetre guru's can help me tag them?

Pinks/Lavenders:
Name:  IMG_6684-001.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  23.9 KBName:  IMG_6685-001.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  23.0 KB

Yellowish Tans (some with pink - none seem to match my Opal Yellow tho):
Name:  IMG_6680-002.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  17.5 KBName:  IMG_6683-001.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  16.8 KB

More to come!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-02-24, 7:47pm
Senior Moment

Reddish Browns/Dark Tans:
Name:  IMG_6686-001.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  33.2 KBName:  IMG_6694-001.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  24.5 KB

Greenish/Grey/Browns:
Name:  IMG_6688-001.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  25.0 KBName:  IMG_6689-001.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  24.3 KB
This top rod is actually much darker than the bottom 2; it's got a sheen that reflected the light.
Almost done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by allicat; 2014-02-24 at 7:50pm.
Old 2014-02-24, 7:48pm
Senior Moment

Blues/Green/Turquoise:
Name:  IMG_6695-001.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  19.9 KBName:  IMG_6698-001.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  28.0 KB

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Alli

Old 2014-02-24, 7:56pm
Loving learning

Have you got sage & avocado to compare the next to last group to Alli?
I'm in a nightshirt & my glass is locked up in the back yard, but if nobody chimes in my tomorrow I'll go look.
Sedona & Powder Pink & Mou may be candidates for the 3rd group.
My opal yellow is pretty varied, so one of those yellowy ones may be OY I think.
Old 2014-02-24, 7:57pm
Loving learning

Oh, and I hope you find out what the deep green is, I think I need that.
Old 2014-02-24, 8:10pm
Loving learning

For fun, I did a search for Hand pulled, and got some candidates for you if you don't already have them.
http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....rd=hand+pulled
Old 2014-02-24, 8:19pm
Senior Moment

I have Sedona, and none of the pinks match it, but Mou might be the dark tan! Don't have any Powder Pink; the name sort of grosses me out. Actually, so does the name Tongue Pink, but I had to order some for some murrini recipes LOL so I do own some.

And I have never looked at Sage and Avocado and thought "I need those colors" so I've nothing to compare them too either.

No rush btw; I don't need to use them ASAP. I just like to have them marked for when I DO use them; then, if I want more, I know what to get!

Last edited by allicat; 2014-02-24 at 8:22pm.
Old 2014-02-24, 8:21pm
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
For fun, I did a search for Hand pulled, and got some candidates for you if you don't already have them.
http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....rd=hand+pulled
I did poke thru there. But without the rods and ends visible, I can't really tell. And melting the ends is a waste of gas when one is using the canisters...

Old 2014-02-24, 8:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
Ooh, I can help! The one on the left is Calico. I like it but it is as shocky as anice.

Old 2014-02-24, 8:42pm

Quote:
The one on the right is #211 Sage Green, I believe.

Old 2014-02-24, 9:29pm

I think the two kind of transluscent light blue lavender colors might be Alexandrite ( at least the ones I got were ) and the turquoise/aqua might be Marina in which case it's very shocky. I like buying those assortments because they are always a surprise Lydia
Old 2014-02-24, 9:41pm
Loving learning

Is Alexandrite 221? That's what I was thinking, but I got it from somewhere else where it goes by lavender I think.
Old 2014-02-24, 9:50pm
Loving learning

Red Roof is a good possibility for one of the reds I think. I'll have to go look at the ends tomorrow.
Old 2014-02-24, 10:01pm
Senior Moment

ok:

Mou is now marked. Calico is now marked. Two folks mentioned Sage, so I'm going with it LOL and now marked.

I think you are totally correct about the Alexandrite Lydia. Never thought to bring it into a different light - holy cow, it's a different color LOL Marked now as well. And I did a little more digging; turns out I have a couple rods of Marine/Marina (290); the darker turquoise is sort of in between that and Dark Turquoise. So, Lt Turquoise maybe? But..than what could the lighter greyish turquoise color rod be?

LOL such mysteries!

Old 2014-02-24, 10:05pm
Loving learning

Sage and Avocado look a lot alike, so I will take pics of the ends of mine to see if one is Avocado too.
Lt Turq isn't a hand pull I don't think.
Old 2014-02-24, 10:35pm
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Red Roof is a good possibility for one of the reds I think. I'll have to go look at the ends tomorrow.
I have some Eileen, and none of the rods come close in colors to it.

Old 2014-02-24, 10:51pm

the dark green in the last set may be cave green aka green cave

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2014-02-25, 1:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlilly1 View Post
the dark green in the last set may be cave green aka green cave
Bobbi? is this Norm and Bobbi?

_
Old 2014-02-25, 3:25am

In the second post, 4th photo, on the left -- looks like red copper green. Maybe?
Old 2014-02-25, 6:42am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
ok:

Mou is now marked. Calico is now marked. Two folks mentioned Sage, so I'm going with it LOL and now marked.

I think you are totally correct about the Alexandrite Lydia. Never thought to bring it into a different light - holy cow, it's a different color LOL Marked now as well. And I did a little more digging; turns out I have a couple rods of Marine/Marina (290); the darker turquoise is sort of in between that and Dark Turquoise. So, Lt Turquoise maybe? But..than what could the lighter greyish turquoise color rod be?

LOL such mysteries!
The lighter gray green is Antique Green.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2014-02-25, 7:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbeads View Post
Bobbi? is this Norm and Bobbi?
huh?

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2014-02-25, 7:45am

The dark reddish one with dark rings and a slight light greenish ring is possibly red copper green, of the black/red variety that people didn't like all that much. Stick it into a flame and see if it lustres. The interesting thing about that dark red copper green is that if you selectively encase, you end up with patterns of black and red swirls under the clear.

The middle purple rod, if it hasn't been identified yet, might be one of the violets (violet or new violet).

Facebook:

Old 2014-02-25, 9:27am
Lampworkaholic!

I think the middle purple rod is premium 256 dark pink. Likely to be quite shocky if so.

The lighter green gray brown rods I think are both Copper Green, or possibly the top one is Neptune.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2014-02-25, 4:05pm
Senior Moment

Ooo, Antique Green. Been meaning to try that! Thanks Elizabeth. As for the pink, it's a deep pink color - the rod color is close to Reichenbach's Raspberry Pink although the RB has a bluer core. All the rods of Dark Pink that I've seen have been lighter. And one of the rods is definitely Copper Green; my copper green rods are so skinny I couldn't make out the red bit in the core!

Ok, the dark red copper green; that makes sense. I have a rod of red copper green from the last time I bought the big handpulled selection and when I compared the 2 they clearly were not the same. I'll try it out over the weekend and see what it does, but I suspect you're right Melissa - thank you! The green one isn't Green Cave tho; I have some and it's not a close match. The mystery green has a lighter core, and Green Cave doesn't have that crazy sheen that the mystery green does.

Did some digging, and found some rods of colors previously mentioned that I was so excited to mark and compared them *sigh* back to the drawing board I suspect:

The marked rods and the suspect rods grouped together; all the thinner rods are obviously not the new rods:
Name:  IMG_6715.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  33.9 KB

Definite Mou and probably not Mou:
Name:  IMG_6721.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  24.5 KB

Powder pink (which should have been with the Mou core pic LOL), Real Sage Green, probably not Sage Green:
Name:  IMG_6720.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  21.6 KB

Real Calico and probably not Calico:
Name:  IMG_6718.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  22.8 KB

DEFINITELY Avocado:
Name:  IMG_6722.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  30.4 KB

So I'm still diggin away here, but while some will need to be researched more, at least others are definites
Alli

Old 2014-02-25, 5:47pm

Sage green, red copper green, green cave, two separate batches of each.

I'm almost positive the one you have marked as sage green in that top pic isn't sage green. Sage green doesn't actually look much like green at all. You're right in thinking something's off. I'm including a picture of the sage green from two separate batches. One has rings and one doesn't.

I have two different batches of cave green, one significantly lighter in colour than the other. The shade you have is similar, but both of mine have rings in the end of the rod. That means either it's like the sage green in only sometimes having rings, or it's not the same glass.

And then there's the red copper green. What can I say? The one that actually has some green in it is the old moretti. I raided a local glass shop's stash. I think that Effetre achieved that again recently, but I haven't bought the more recent stuff.

There's so much variation in these hand-pulled colours, especially the copper greens.

Oh, and I noticed my Cocoa Bean has similar greenish rings in the end to the red copper green. The difference is that cocoa bean is brown on the outside of the rod, and red copper green is dark red.

Facebook:

Last edited by silverlilly1; 2014-02-25 at 5:53pm.
Old 2014-02-25, 6:20pm
Lampworkaholic!

Premium Dark Pink can be raspberry colored, there was even a batch called raspberry krazy kane. The other two rods in that photo are Mou and Sedona.

The chestnut colored one might be the harvest gold version of red roof tile. Both of the darker red browns are the red red copper green (and you will see the green when you melt them).

You have to allow for a lot of variability in the hand pulls.

Old 2014-03-02, 12:18pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

What is this special you mentioned? I searched on the frantz website but nothing came up..
Old 2014-03-02, 12:28pm
Loving learning

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=6013
Old 2014-03-02, 5:20pm
Senior Moment

It's a fun way (IMHO) to get some interesting colors and try ones I might have not bought otherwise.

Alli

Old 2014-03-04, 6:47am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I wonder if this is what they call "enabling"..? oooooo, temptation thy name is glass.