LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-24, 1:02am

Default 1st CIM purchase, what color(s) are your fav?

My 85 year old Mom gifted me money for Christmas and I want to buy some CIM glass.

What colors are your "must haves" and why. (I have read the coloraddiction website & love them all! but only have $100 so need to narrow the options!)

Thanks & Merry Christmas
Jolene
Old 2011-12-24, 1:23am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Gelly Sty, hands down as my first pick, but stone ground is also cool for special effects.
Old 2011-12-24, 2:02am
Tacki

If you use silver glass, you MUST get Canyon de Chellay (sp?), Stone Ground, and Ghee

Ginger and Butter Pecan make great faces

My favorite other colors that you can't really get from other manufacturers: Electric Avenue, Heffalump, Clockwork, Slytherin, Peacock Green, Halong Bay, Whatever the purple version of Halong Bay and Peacock Green is (I can't remember the name), Tuxedo is the best regular black out there, imo, Hades is a wonderful black, especially with silver leaf or silver glass, Peace is a great white.

I hardly use any effetre (just ivory, opal yellow, and dark silver plum) or vetro anymore... if I use "regular" colors, it's pretty much exclusively CIM.
Old 2011-12-24, 2:56am

Dirty martini gets a lot of use from me - it's good as an off-white base for frit and goes wonderfully with Reichenbach antique clear. It's a pale pastel minty green.

Mermaid: deep opaque greenish teal. Beautiful colour, works great in murrini as it's so saturated.

Crocus is a lovely light opal purple. I love all their opals, but be very careful if you're trying to encase them.

Hades for webbing and stringer lines.

I tend to use stoneground instead of opal yellow as it was easier to get hold of for a while. It's similar though not exactly the same and can strike a bit darker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2011-12-24, 3:20am
Entropy increasing....

Peace is the best white around in 104. Tuxedo is the black I use now.

I like all the opal colors, Peacock, Hualong Bay, Rose quartz, Blush, Cirrus, Crocus. Their opal colors are so much better than the italian ones.

They keep coming out with new colors so fast there are so many I haven't even tried yet myself. I have an order to pick up at Frantz with some of the new reds.

Marshmallow is a cool color. You can put it over other colors for a very cool look.

There are just so many. Which colors DON'T you like might be easier to answer.
Old 2011-12-24, 5:39am
Wait.....what?

I have very little CIM so far but Gelly's Sty is the best pink I've tried for the way i work and Canyon de Chelly de Chelly is fantastic with silver glasses. And I really really like Phoenix. It's a great orange that gives you some variations or kinda streakiness when you work it.

Old 2011-12-24, 8:55am
Jacqueline Parkes

Peace
Tuxedo
Canyon
Dirty Martini
Stone Ground

Old 2011-12-24, 9:11am
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Sangre transparent red, tuxedo black for stablility and hades for the cool webbing it can do. I also really like Leaky pen in addition to the others already mentioned.

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2011-12-24, 9:17am
Disconnected

You can order CIM by the rod at Howaco, $100 is a lot of rods! That way you can try all the colors you're tempted with and see for yourself.
My only advice would be to steer clear of the Uniques and Limited Run, because you don't want to create an addiction to scarce or unattainable colors

Old 2011-12-24, 9:47am

I love green, so if you like greens!
Split Pea
Olive
Commando
Celadon

And if I was told I could only buy one color, Canyon de Chelly
Old 2011-12-24, 9:49am

Oh, and I love Lipstick, but it is being discontinued. They did have a lot of Lipstick Uniques at Frantz, cheap. Not sure if they still do. The regular Lipstick is a brown right now, but the uniques are coralish.
Old 2011-12-24, 9:53am
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

I love the great bluedini transparent. It plays well with silver glass.
Old 2011-12-24, 10:05am

Wow, thanks all! I have a great list started & may wait and see if I get anymore $ gifted.

I couldn't find marshmellow on Frantz site. Saw an interssting green....Army Men and some limited run colors I liked too.

Good idea on Howaco for smaller purchase to trial colors.

You guys are the best!! Thanks!

My problem is I haven't ordered glasss in so long (FT work doesn't allow me much torch time anymore) But this is the spark I need! I never think I am "materialistic" until I look at glass websites! Ha!
Old 2011-12-24, 11:02am
I like to melt things

I think Army Men is my favourite green glass EVER from any manufacturer, so it figures that it's a limited run.

My favourite CiM colours are:
  • Canyon de Chelly
  • Stone Ground
  • Dirty Martini
  • Leaky Pen
  • Army Men (limited run)
  • Split Pea
  • Butter Pecan Unique #5 (limited run)
  • Adamantium
  • Adamantium Unique #1 (limited run)
  • Slytherin
  • Slytherin Unique #2 (limited run)
  • Great Bluedini
  • Great Bluedini Unique #1 (limited run)
  • Midnight (limited run)
  • Twilight (limited run)
  • Azure
  • Mojito
  • Phoenix

I have reviewed all of these colours, with the exception of Phoenix, Stone Ground, Dirty Martini and a couple of the uniques on my blog if you are interested in seeing them in action.

-
-

Last edited by MelanieG; 2011-12-25 at 2:01pm. Reason: I put the wrong great bluedini unique
Old 2011-12-24, 11:03am
Creative Spirit

Sangre, Lapis, Olive, Bordello, Maple.

Peace Wendy
Old 2011-12-24, 11:44am
novembersfyre everywhere

Sangre - stays a true red no matter how you torture it!
Maple - a nice transparent brown with no red tones.

Old 2011-12-24, 11:49am
Storm Queen

Who all sells CiM? I need to order some.

Old 2011-12-24, 11:52am
Lampworkaholic!

Canyon de Chelly
Clockwork
Crocus
Rose Quartz
Tuxedo
Hades
Peace
Heffalump
Atlantis
Electric Avenue
Mint Lozenge

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-12-24, 12:09pm

Wow, Melanie your glass blog is so helpful! Don't know how I have missed it.

Thanks for that resource, I saved it to my favorites.

Yikes, I want to try every color mentioned! I was trying not to use a 4th type of glass...but see I NEED to!
Old 2011-12-24, 2:52pm
Entropy increasing....

Frantz is the official distributor, but I all the dealers of 104 have it, I'm pretty sure.

Stoneground is wonderful. It's like opal yellow, gets a wonderful pink blush over yellow, but looks like beige in the rod.
Old 2011-12-24, 4:43pm
Fried Cat

I don't know of a bad CIM color, yet. But if I had to nail down a few favorite colors it would probably be:

Mermaid
Halong Bay
Elphaba
Sherwood
Crocus
Evil Queen

I have the blue/green/purple palette pretty stuffed but these few always seem to find their way into my beads.
Old 2011-12-24, 5:53pm

Lapis! how could I forget Lapis!

Actually, there are a few that I don't love, they are just eh, ok. But I can't remember them right now.
Old 2011-12-24, 7:17pm

Since I will now have glass from 4 manufacturers...what are the CIM colors that "don't play well with others"?

Any obvious I should probably not consider?
Old 2011-12-24, 7:51pm
Entropy increasing....

As far as pinks go, i love Desert pink.
Old 2011-12-24, 8:19pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I'll agree an the Canyon de Chelly, probably my fav.
Then, Stoneground, Olive, Gelly's Sty, Rose Quartz, Dirty Martini, Tuxedo etc. etc......
Oh, and Blush is nice for encasing.
It also depends on what style of beads you make. I do alot of organics so I lean towards the browns, greens etc.

Old 2011-12-25, 12:57am
Entropy increasing....

Marshmallow at Frantz

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=4912
Old 2011-12-25, 1:09am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I like all colors exept for Khaki.

Old 2011-12-25, 10:32am

Thanks for link to Marshmallow. Am getting an order ready!!

Someone mentioned Hades for cool webbing...is this similar to intense black? Anyone have a pic? I may have to add this color too! (If it is alittle different than IB)

Gosh I want every color mentioned!
Old 2011-12-25, 10:46am

I also love the assortments Frantz sells. You get one rod of each of the colors in a particular color group. It's a great way to try them and you get rods that are all labeled.

Old 2011-12-25, 1:53pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellagirl View Post
Since I will now have glass from 4 manufacturers...what are the CIM colors that "don't play well with others"?

Any obvious I should probably not consider?
There are no 'decisive' conclusions about this. Some people have experienced some problems with some of the glasses. Other people don't have any trouble at all. And it's no different with CiM than it is with the glasses from any other manufacturer.

The moonstone colours (Halong Bay, Peacock, Cirrus etc.) and some of the opals (e.g. Mink) are said to require a hotter annealing temperature.

I have personally had trouble when encasing some of the CiM colours (e.g. Mulberry, Jade Palace, Journey, Commando) with Effetre Clear, but I am not sure if it was just me and I let the bead get too cool, if it was my annealing temperature, if it's an issue between the glass viscosities or a real incompatibility problem. I had real trouble with Mink before I raised my annealing temperature to 980, but that solved the problem.

On the whole, I have had very little trouble with CiM glass and compatibility. All you can really do is test as you go and make note of any problems you have, just like with Effetre or any other glass. For instance, I will never encase Effetre Coral or Silver Pink again, unless I've used just a thin layer of those colours over a clear core.

-
-