Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2018-01-08, 2:17pm

Default Glass Chain

I want to get into making glass chain. I'm confused as to how I keep the chain from breaking while I'm making a new loop. I'm assuming there is a way to do it outside of my kiln so that it doesn't take a gazillion years to make one chain. I read somewhere that keeping it on a piece of wood would slow down the cooling process. I'm still confused as to why I wouldn't need to keep the entire chain in the flame.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I haven't been able to find many helpful references online.
Old 2018-01-08, 4:11pm
Slogan Challenged...

there is a new video on youtube, also on FB flamework glass videos that shows how to make those. Neat stuff, good luck

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2018-01-08, 5:24pm
Loving learning

ttaecker the links are made from thin glass, so they don't have the same problems as fat beads do, etc.
I saw the video Kristin mentions, and it really does help.
Old 2018-01-08, 7:13pm

Default glass chain

Thanks! The videos that I've found on YouTube are very old. Is there a specific YouTube account I should be checking out? I did a search for "glass chain" and "glass chain lampwork" and am not finding what you're referring to.

Which Facebook page/group should I be looking at for help?

Thanks!
Old 2018-01-08, 10:49pm
Loving learning

This is the one I saw most recently:
https://youtu.be/P-_PLTd0exc
Old 2018-01-09, 6:24am

I highly recommend watching the Torch Talk 102 video on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGID2ExqBYw&t=1445s). Another one is by Glass Science (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbVpL0VdADI&t=339s). Most chain is being made with boro because you can set it down on your bench or on top of a heated kiln while working on it. I tried making it once with soft glass but it was not easy. When I'm done, I do put the entire chain into the kiln to anneal.
Old 2018-01-09, 7:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaecker View Post
I want to get into making glass chain. I'm confused as to how I keep the chain from breaking while I'm making a new loop. I'm assuming there is a way to do it outside of my kiln so that it doesn't take a gazillion years to make one chain. I read somewhere that keeping it on a piece of wood would slow down the cooling process. I'm still confused as to why I wouldn't need to keep the entire chain in the flame.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I haven't been able to find many helpful references online.
Use Boro. It doesn't crack like soft glass. I learned from Kim Edwards, she's a master glass chainmailer. http://www.beadinggem.com/2013/02/gl...y-kim.html?m=1

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Tags
chain, chains, glass chain