Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2019-07-21, 6:08pm

Angry Devardi bead Release

I have recently bought a Devardi starter kit that included Devardi Easy Bead-Off, and I am having no luck using it. First and foremost, It almost ALWAYS cracks when I try and flame dry it with my torch. And if I somehow manage to get it to dry without cracking, the bead ends up getting stuck on the mandrel, no matter what I do. I've tried soaking it, freezing it, everything. I've even allowed the glass to literally drip on the hot mandrel, to avoid to much oulling. Am I doing something wrong, or could it just be the Devardi bead release?
Old 2019-07-21, 6:19pm

Get a good bead release. Dip n Go Sludge, Foster Fire, Fusion.
Old 2019-07-21, 6:23pm

I figured that was the way to go. I just don't wanna waste money if what I have is actually sufficient, if used it "properly" whatever that may be.
Old 2019-07-22, 4:52am

Even though many releases claim they can be flame dried I find they perform better air dried.
Make sure your mandrels have no oil on them
Scuff up new mandrels with sand paper or other abrasive
Make sure bead release is proper consistency- thin pancake batter
Thin with distilled water if needed, mix well
Flame cure the whole dipped portion of the mandrel before adding glass
Old 2019-07-22, 6:00am

I agree with the advice to get a different release, and also want to say Kathy's advice is spot on. Several times I've forgotten about the issue with new mandrels. Suddenly my bead release is cracking all the time and I can't figure out what changed! A good wash and scrub with one of those wire dish-scrubby things sets it straight.
Old 2019-07-22, 9:20am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Send me a PM and I will send you a free sample of FosterFire. The stuff they sell in the kit is enough to make a sane person cry. I sell on Etsy or also if you email me. I have 3 formulas. The best for beginners as a balance between cost and being hard to break is the Heavy Duty. If you plan to use presses then I would recommend the Smooth & Tuff.

If you want one that is really really really tough then I recommend Fusion which can be purchased from Frantz Art Glass. It's harder to get the beads off after words, just an FYI. And they don't do samples. Also: every bead release works better air dried.

You might see if there is a bead group in your area and if they're doing demos then you can try different releases.
Old 2019-07-22, 10:36am
Phill

Oh and make sure if you add water that your water is either distilled or reverse osmosis.

Well water is going to have minerals in it that can change the bead release properties and water softener systems will have some salt in them that also ruins bead release.

I take plumbers emery tape to scuff the surface of my new mandrels after washing the oils form manufacturing them off with dish soap.

And don't try to go with too small of a bead hole either at least to start with.

Have you tried a double coating with letting the first dip air dry for a day or four?

This heat and humidity we have been having in a lot of the US could be adding to the problem as well.

Unfortunately Devardi stuff has been known to have problems and I limit my purchases there to metal things like tools only.
Old 2019-07-22, 1:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
Send me a PM and I will send you a free sample of FosterFire. The stuff they sell in the kit is enough to make a sane person cry. I sell on Etsy or also if you email me. I have 3 formulas. The best for beginners as a balance between cost and being hard to break is the Heavy Duty. If you plan to use presses then I would recommend the Smooth & Tuff.

If you want one that is really really really tough then I recommend Fusion which can be purchased from Frantz Art Glass. It's harder to get the beads off after words, just an FYI. And they don't do samples. Also: every bead release works better air dried.

You might see if there is a bead group in your area and if they're doing demos then you can try different releases.
Definitely interested in trying your bead release! I pmed you.
Old 2019-07-22, 1:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
Oh and make sure if you add water that your water is either distilled or reverse osmosis.

Well water is going to have minerals in it that can change the bead release properties and water softener systems will have some salt in them that also ruins bead release.

I take plumbers emery tape to scuff the surface of my new mandrels after washing the oils form manufacturing them off with dish soap.

And don't try to go with too small of a bead hole either at least to start with.

Have you tried a double coating with letting the first dip air dry for a day or four?

This heat and humidity we have been having in a lot of the US could be adding to the problem as well.

Unfortunately Devardi stuff has been known to have problems and I limit my purchases there to metal things like tools only.
I'll definitely have to give all this a try, especially the water! I had no idea the type of water mattered. Thank you all for the advice. Hopefully FosterFire, and or the other methods mentioned above will solve my problems
Old 2019-07-22, 5:49pm
Phill

I swear by Foster Fire Tough and Smooth myself but I have two or three brands on the shelf that I got before I got FF S&T.

We all figure out what works for us as individuals according to time, money and interests.
Old 2019-07-23, 7:50am
SCIENCE Teacher!

How to tell if heat ruined your bead release: it will go as thin as skim milk and stay that way. If it's good it should be like cheap tomato sauce from a can.

About the water:

You can add water. It's not necessary to use distilled BUT I do use distilled with calcium carbonate added. You can do the same by getting cheap drinking water (store brand) and adding a TUMs tablet and letting that sit for an hour or two. (Shake it up to distribute the calcium carbonate)

It may seem excessive but if/when you buy the huge jar of the good stuff for $35-40 then it makes more sense. Why? Because some water districts add chemicals to "soften" the water and that destroys bead release over time. How much time depends on how much bead release and how much softener is in the water. (2 days up to 3 weeks) The calcium carbonate (TUMs) will use up the softener chemicals making it safe to use in bead release.

I discovered quite by accident that "distilled water" just means it has been through the distillation process once. There are no standards for distilled water. I have had some distilled water by a reputable company that ruined 2 batches of bead release. That's when we started adding calcium carbonate to the water we use. Texas and Florida have problematic water as far as being used to dilute bead release. Arizona water works just fine as is.

There are bunches of threads here with great bead release advice. For example: you can add a marble a wonky bead to a big jar of bead release so when you shake it, the marble will help mix it up.
Old 2019-07-23, 12:14pm
hyperT

Default Divardi

You may want to try some different glass as well.
Divardi is very subject to thermal shock.
It can be even more frustrating to a beginer.