No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-05-20, 12:15pm
Who? Me?

Default Tibet tips?

Bought my first "fancy" glass this weekend. Was told to get Tibet because it is easy to use on my hothead. Well, needless to say, it ain't workin' for me
Does the base color matter? Have to be encased? Only used for stringer? I've done some searches with little result.

Any tips?

Thanks!
Old 2012-05-20, 12:31pm
Gay rights R human rights

You wont be able to get it hot enough on a hot head. Im sorry someone told you that. With a hot head, you are really looking for glasses that reduce nicely. Clio, Psyche, Triton,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2012-05-20, 12:41pm
Who? Me?

Hmmmm...it was a glass dealer
Old 2012-05-20, 12:43pm
Always smiling, again.

Cindy, tiggybubba may be right about using it on a HH, BUT, Tibet always seemed quite forgiving/easy for a striking glass. I've always had great luck using it to encase a black or opal yellow base. It's worth trying out, good luck to ya!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-05-20, 2:24pm

Default Hothead

Cindy, It sounds like Leslie knows what she is talking about. Maybe you should see if someone would like to swap your glass for some that will work on a Hothead so that it is not a complete bust. Sorry that happened to you.
Old 2012-05-20, 6:17pm
Who? Me?

Yes, Cheryl, I guess that's what I'll probably have to do. Just irritates me...if you're not sure of something, then don't offer suggestions...you know what I mean??

Tiggy...will Clio reduce?? I thought that one was out my league, lol!
Old 2012-05-20, 7:32pm
Gay rights R human rights

clear, orange or white, clear then clio. heat it up the best you can and shape. let it cool (glow completely gone), lightly reduce by covering the air holes on the HH then encase. give it a very good overall heating and pop in the kiln. You'll do fine.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2012-05-23, 12:16pm

Cindy, don't give up! Tibet does not need DEEP heating (like Fire Lotus) to develop good colors. You can strike it lightly like you would strike Rubino Oro. What it does need is a neutral flame, so if you are getting muddy beads it might be too reducing of a flame. I would like to give you more complete information, but I don't know what you are getting now. Please call me at 503-656-9350 so we can talk about how you are using Tibet.

FWIW it is probably Transcendental and not Tibet, since we have been out of stock on that color for some time now. What does the rod look like? This glass tends to get more of a haze on it that you need to burn off if you have worked it hot. On a HH tho, you might not need to deal with that as much, as long as you are not getting it muddy with reduction.

In general, these are striking Amber/Purple glasses, and they look bluer and greener when struck on a dark base and pinker over a light base like ivory or Opal Yellow. You might try dots of it on one of those base colors, melting them in gently and then dotting with clear over the Tibet/Transcendental. This should provide one more strike as the clear melts on (yes, you can leave it raised.) I like the effect of dotting the clear over a partial dot, that is what you see in my avatar.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2012-05-23, 12:36pm

Default Tibet beads

FWIW, here is another image with Tibet. Sometimes the clear dot strike gives me very nice effects:

I'm looking for other images, but the computer is telling me the startup is full so I need to dump some larger files before I can process more photos.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2012-05-23, 4:21pm
Who? Me?

Thanks for the extensive reply, Jenny. I was told it was Tibet, but I really don't know. It appears to be opaque on the outside with a transparent core.

As you can see on my pic, on one bead I used it as a stringer on moretti dk ivory with some SIS. Then I tried it on CIM leaky pen and encased. Both turned out, yeah, just kinda muddy...light gray/tan/with hints of blue/green. Sorry my pics aren't great--too cloudy.

So, I'm off to give it another shot with your suggestions! If I am still having problems, I will def give you a call. Keep your fingers crossed for me

Thanks sooooo much! IF I have any success, I will post it here!
Attached Images