Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Old 2010-06-01, 4:55pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

Default Foot Pedal Question

Hi everyone!

I am running a Scorpion on two M-15s and I want a foot pedal. If I run one to the center fire (which I find sufficient for soft glass and small boro) and one to the outer fire, will I have enough umph from the outer fire to run the foot pedal?

I know that tanked would be optimal for the foot pedal, but I don't want to mess with tanks.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-03, 10:06am
Curmudgeon Engineering

lripster,
You may have a misconception re foot pedals. The foot pedal is simply a switch that turns one flame on and off. Since you will never need to turn off the center flame except to stop working during that session you only need one foot pedal... to control the outer flame. My suggestion would be to combine the output from both M-15s and then split off a connection to the foot pedal (pretty much standard setup with oxycons or tanks using a foot pedal) and run that to the outer flame. That way you have full capacity (both M-15s) at all times for your center fire (most used) and controlled use of the outer fire when needed. I would also suggest adding a 'surge tank' into the system between the M-15s and the rest of the system.

You also mention having 'enough umph' to run a foot pedal. The foot pedal is, in most cases, electric and self contained; it takes nothing from your torch system. The question is then 'Is there enough umph to run your torch'. If it runs well now with 2 M-15s then it will run the same or better (because of more efficient use of gasses) as it did before. The added benefit of using a foot pedal is a big savings in oxy use; especially important when on tanks.

There are several threads on thegldg.com forum re building your own foot pedal at reasonabe cost. two solenoids, some fittings and wire; simple.

PJH

Last edited by cheng076; 2010-06-03 at 10:44am. Reason: grammar and added info
Old 2010-06-03, 10:42am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Default Foot Pedal setup - basic

Little drawing may help.
PJ
Attached Images

Old 2010-06-03, 10:51am
Curmudgeon Engineering

BTW,
I ran this setup for a long time on a Baracuda and later on a Tiger Shark that I converted to 4 stud with manifolds of my own design/mfg.
PJH
Old 2010-06-03, 12:18pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

Oh thanks so much, PJH, for the info. I was under the impression I had to split the 15s up in order to use the pedal without a tank. That's why I thought there might not be enough from one concentrator to give me the boost I need.

And thanks a ton for the picture. I'm totally a visual learner!! LOL

I'll check out the gldg for more info.

Again, thanks for your help.

Old 2010-06-04, 6:30am
ILERNTITBYWATCHINU

i built a foot pedal for my scorpion ,from a thread at the gldg . here's a link to it, http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...ght=foot+pedal

Old 2010-06-06, 10:40pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

Thanks for the link, BerningGlass. It looks easy enough to do it myself. (But I'll let my brother do it. )

Old 2010-06-07, 4:23am
DSDWC

Here is my link to my tutorial on building a simple holding tank.

http://www.treycornette.com/category_23/Tutorials.htm