No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-07-22, 11:17pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Default Excel Spread Sheet for Glass Studio Ventilation - Revisited

I have decided to put up (make public) a EXCEL spread sheet I have been struggling with for quite some time (several years). It covers a lot of formulas on setting up ventilation for a lampwork work station...

It is available here.....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...3&p=2102#p2102

NOTE: It is "B" version and hopefully earlier problem has been addressed and fixed. (07-29-2010)

It is not a elegant piece of work, it has no instructions, but it is somewhat self explanatory if one has be reading all the safety threads on how to set up ventilation...

IF you decide to follow the calculations and use them, you accept responsibility for whatever the results of these calculations. I make no guarantee of the accuracy and that your implementation of the values will perform as calculated.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-07-29 at 10:22am.
Old 2010-07-23, 3:46am
old fart

thanks for the spread sheet. `however, it seems to be protected so i could not change the values. also, the face velocity of 60 ft/sec is considered good ventilation for combustion byproducts. higher velocities up to 120 are for fuming acids and chemical hoods.

Last edited by laserglass; 2010-07-23 at 5:18am.
Old 2010-07-23, 7:30am
Gentleman of Leisure

Yes the sheet is "protected" so if one was to accidentally change a calculation or erase a cell it would not upset the other formulas dependent on the destroyed cell.... Especially if the person had no knowledge of what actual formula that they destroyed was....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-07-23 at 7:42am.
Old 2010-07-23, 11:58am

Whats the difference between sheets 1,3, and 4?

How can I use this to design a vent system if I cant change the values of the cells?

Old 2010-07-23, 2:24pm
Gentleman of Leisure

All the yellow fields are changeable, all the blue fields are results of changes in yellow fields....

Some of the calculations on sheets 3 & 4 are variations of most of what is found on sheet 1. Sheet 4 probable should have not been included....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-07-23 at 2:30pm.
Old 2010-07-23, 5:35pm

When I try to change a yellow field, it wont let me.

Old 2010-07-23, 6:23pm
Gentleman of Leisure

What sheet?... What field (cell)?.... What does software tell you problem is???

IF using key pad, be sure NUM-LOCK is on....

I downloaded a fresh copy from AGA site, tested every field (cell) and every yellow field (cell) is active..... Suggest you review your EXCEL software setup....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-07-23 at 6:49pm.
Old 2010-07-23, 9:28pm
Broken

Dale question for you, do you know if silver fumes travel the same as glass fumes? I'm wondering if my silver bench ventilation would be the same as my glass bench?

Old 2010-07-24, 8:51am
Gentleman of Leisure

You have me there....... I have no definitive answer.... Are you casting or are you cutting and soldering?... IF you are basically just soldering I would say not because you are not heating the "silver" to a point where they "boil".... It may be best if you checked out the solders for toxic warnings though.... To be on safe side I would smoke test bench and if "flow" is away from you should be ok...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-07-24 at 10:07am.
Old 2010-07-24, 10:29am
needs creative tagline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
What sheet?... What field (cell)?.... What does software tell you problem is???

IF using key pad, be sure NUM-LOCK is on....

I downloaded a fresh copy from AGA site, tested every field (cell) and every yellow field (cell) is active..... Suggest you review your EXCEL software setup....

Dale

I gave it a quick try and it seems the entire thing is locked for me as well.

Example: sheet 1, cell F19.

Error message: The cell or chart you are trying to change is protected and therefore read-only. To modify a protected cell or chart, first remove protection using the Unprotect Sheet command (Tools menu, Protection submenu). You may be prompted for a password.

I am not using number keypad, and in fact i get the message as soon as a double click to edit the cell, before i even begin typing.

This is Excel 2008 for Mac, version 12.2.5. Mac OS 10.6.4. I can also test it on my WinXP machine and a Win7 machine which have different versions of excel if that would be helpful.

laura

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2010-07-24, 10:58am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha200 View Post

This is Excel 2008 for Mac, version 12.2.5. Mac OS 10.6.4. I can also test it on my WinXP machine and a Win7 machine which have different versions of excel if that would be helpful.

laura
If you could please... I created it on EXCEL 2003 (11.8324.8324) For Windows XP (SP3)... It may be one will have to revert EXCEL back to earlier compatibility mode for earlier version of EXCEL.....

All the tests I can perform says the "yellow" shaded cells are accessible.....

Dale

Old 2010-07-24, 4:32pm
needs creative tagline

Appears to work correctly in excel 2007 on WinXP SP3.

I *think* DH may have 2010 on his Win7 machine. If so, i will try it there next.

laura

Quote:
If you could please... I created it on EXCEL 2003 (11.8324.8324) For Windows XP (SP3)... It may be one will have to revert EXCEL back to earlier compatibility mode for earlier version of EXCEL.....

All the tests I can perform says the "yellow" shaded cells are accessible.....

Dale

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2010-07-24, 4:35pm
Broken

Quote:
You have me there....... I have no definitive answer.... Are you casting or are you cutting and soldering?... IF you are basically just soldering I would say not because you are not heating the "silver" to a point where they "boil".... It may be best if you checked out the solders for toxic warnings though.... To be on safe side I would smoke test bench and if "flow" is away from you should be ok...

Dale
The flow is very much away from me, so I think I am good. I just didn't know if you had anymore input. I'm soldering no casting.

Old 2010-07-24, 4:48pm
needs creative tagline

Interesting. DH does indeed have Excel 2010 on Win7. In this case, when I first open the document and select a cell to change, it tells me that the document is protected and I cannot edit it. However, it then tells me that I may choose to enable editing if I trust the document. If I click the button it gives me to enable, then I can edit the yellow cells as usual (but still not the blue. as you intended I believe).

Now I am going back to play on OS X and see if 2008 has a setting somewhere that will allow me to enable editing.

laura

Facebook -

Last edited by yamaha200; 2010-07-24 at 5:31pm. Reason: typo
Old 2010-07-24, 5:31pm
needs creative tagline

still more info:

-testing on OS 10.4.11 with Excel version X shows the same problem

-I have not been able to find a way to fix the problem on either of the mac installs. I don't know yet whether this is a mac problem or an excel version problem. The 2 windows excel versions that i have tried both work.

-I think we have one more mac OS/excel combo to try here at home

-I think at work I have Win7 with excel 2007 and WinXP SP3 with excel 2003 so I will try both of those on monday if no one else finds a fix before then

-some google results seem to indicate that the "enable editing of protected worksheet" is a new security feature in 2010, which is probably why I can't find a similar switch in the other versions of excel I've tried.

laura

Facebook -

Old 2010-07-24, 5:46pm
needs creative tagline

-mac OS 10.5.8 with excel 2008 shows the same problem. I think I have now exhausted all OS/excel combos available at home

-also, on the windows machine, I played with the sheet a bit. Happy to see that the numbers I plugged in gave fairly similar results to what I had manually calculated using the formulas on Mike's blog for my setup. The difference may be that I also did the advanced calculations to take elevation into account. Perhaps that could be a feature to add in version 2 of your spreadsheet

laura

Facebook -

Old 2010-07-24, 9:41pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Good to see you had some success.... And that the sheet works on some machines.... I was beginning to think my setup was unique and what worked for me, was not working for anyone else.....

Now I wonder what the "problem" may be, as I thought "like" software was supposed to work across platforms.... Oh well, the mysteries of the computer age...

And THANK YOU!!!

Dale

Old 2010-07-25, 5:25pm

I think the problem is that it is protected by you on your computer so you can edit it. Did you give excel a password when you made it? Telling us it would probably work. I have tried it in windows 7 in excel and open office.

Old 2010-07-25, 8:53pm
Gentleman of Leisure

This is the manner in which it is locked....And it should allow anyone to edit unlocked cells.....

And yes the range of cells (yellow) are "released" for edit...

I really think at issue here is Version of EXCEL and how it handle protection......

Also I have pulled link down..... I'm tired of dealing with this when I can NOT duplicate problem some people seem to be having.....

Dale

Old 2010-07-26, 10:11am
needs creative tagline

gotta love microsoft...

was able to test on Win7 with excel 2007, no problems.

winxp sp3 with excel 2003 also no problems.

just for fun, i opened it in openoffice under rhel - it did show up with the entire thing (including yellow cells) protected, but i was able to turn off the protection on the entire thing without a password (probably not what you were hoping to hear, but there probably aren't a lot of openoffice users here either...). Meker, do you have the same experience with your openoffice install on Win7?

So at this point I'd say its either an excel version problem, or a mac problem. But since Meker is on Win7, probably an excel version problem. Meker - what excel version are you using? That info would be very helpful in trying to track this down.

Without putting words in Dale's mouth, I would say that he knows the document is protected and that is on purpose so that people don't accidentally change something they shouldn't without realizing it, making the results potentially harmful. However, it *should* be showing up with some cells editable even when the document is protected, so you should be able to use it without the password.

Dale - you're welcome for the help, least I can do after all you've done for the group here, and trying to put the spreadsheet together for us. If we can ever figure out what's up with the version problem I can try to help put together a working copy for that version of excel. Or i could try to put together a simple little windows GUI program that would be similar.

laura

Facebook -

Old 2010-07-26, 10:19am

I think I have office 2007. How did you unprotect it on open office? I am still new to open office.

Old 2010-07-26, 10:56am
needs creative tagline

Under the tools menu there is a "protect document" option, i unchecked the "sheet" box.

If you have office 2007, that is very strange since I have tried office 2007 under both XP and Win7 and the document worked just fine - lets me edit the yellow cells no problem. hmmmmm. darn microsoft.

laura

Facebook -

Old 2010-07-26, 11:33am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha200 View Post
gotta love microsoft...

was able to test on Win7 with excel 2007, no problems.

winxp sp3 with excel 2003 also no problems.

just for fun, i opened it in openoffice under rhel - it did show up with the entire thing (including yellow cells) protected, but i was able to turn off the protection on the entire thing without a password (probably not what you were hoping to hear, but there probably aren't a lot of openoffice users here either...). Meker, do you have the same experience with your openoffice install on Win7?

So at this point I'd say its either an excel version problem, or a mac problem. But since Meker is on Win7, probably an excel version problem. Meker - what excel version are you using? That info would be very helpful in trying to track this down.

Without putting words in Dale's mouth, I would say that he knows the document is protected and that is on purpose so that people don't accidentally change something they shouldn't without realizing it, making the results potentially harmful. However, it *should* be showing up with some cells editable even when the document is protected, so you should be able to use it without the password.

Dale - you're welcome for the help, least I can do after all you've done for the group here, and trying to put the spreadsheet together for us. If we can ever figure out what's up with the version problem I can try to help put together a working copy for that version of excel. Or i could try to put together a simple little windows GUI program that would be similar.

laura
Thank you... It was what I was sort of hoping to hear.... May have to work on the GUI thing later (with your help)...

Still going to research the "protection" issues more before putting it back online....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-07-26 at 11:35am.
Old 2010-07-27, 1:29pm

I can't open the spread sheet on the top of your note. setting up a shop in my basement and would love your advise.
Thank you
Suzanne
P.S. are you comming to the Gathering in Rochester?
Old 2010-07-27, 3:05pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Spread sheet has some problem for some people... Its not consistent... And I do not know why other than MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will be dealing with it soon and I will put up another version when I problem worked out... For now please be patient...

As for basement studio... Here is a write up I did on that subject...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=430

I am not saying its not do able in article, I am just saying that it is a unique situation to deal with, and that there is considerations not necessary in a surface level studios....

Dale

Old 2010-07-28, 10:54am
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you Dale for doing this. I know you put a lot of work, thought and effort into this and I appreciate it and am looking forward to using it when you get it back on line for us.
Old 2010-07-29, 8:31am

Default Dale are you at the Gathering?

Thanks Dale.
Old 2010-07-29, 10:24am
Gentleman of Leisure

I just put up "B" version of spread sheet and hopefully the access problem others experienced have been fixed... If not let me know!!!!!!!

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...3&p=2102#p2102

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-07-29 at 10:32am.
Old 2010-07-29, 10:25am
Gentleman of Leisure

Default Going to Gathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangell View Post
Thanks Dale.
I am not doing Gathering, its 3000 miles for me and I hate to fly and driving is probably out of question.....

Dale

Old 2010-07-31, 1:39am
Alaska Boro

Version B works fine on Windows XP with Excel 2002. However, password protection on MS Excel is rather poor.

Appreciate the effort and in sharing.