No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-12-13, 3:50pm
bez

Question Best torch???

I am currently using a Nortel Minor with 3 oxycons (two 5lpm and one 10) and NG from my house. I do a lot of boro and want to move up a level in heat and flame width. I have had lines installed so I can have tanks outside, too.

What torch???

I have looked seriously at the Carlisle Hellcat, the Barracuda and the Phantom. (I really liked the phantom except their weirdo knobs, but I guess I could get used to that).

Any and all recommendations would be very welcome!
Old 2009-12-13, 4:08pm

Choosing a torch is like choosing a pair of shoes .... the important things are (in no specific order): function, comfort, and price.

* Function: What do you plan to do with the torch? Hard or soft glass? Rod or tubing? Beads, pendents, marbles, paperweights, sculpture, or pipes? Will you be using liquid oxygen, bottles, or an oxycon? Do you want a single stage torch, or a multi stage (independent inner/outer flame)?

Where is your studio? Do you live in a dorm, barracks, or RV, and need a ‘portable’ studio; one you can set up and tear down easily? Do you work in your dining room? Basement? Garage? How good is your ventilation? Your lighting?

How long have you been torching? What is your experience level? Are you just starting out, or are you moving up to a larger torch? Are you doing this as a hobby, or are you trying to make money at this? If this is a hobby, are you the type of person that tries a new hobby, and then moves on to a new hobby in 6 months? Or, do you tend to stick with things for the long haul?

*ALL* of this influences your torch selection.

* Comfort: How many torches have you actually worked on? What are *you* comfortable using? Most people tend to be most comfortable using the torch they learned on.

Every torch has its strengths, and its weaknesses. To make an informed choice, you should learn these, so you can select a torch that has its strengths in the areas where you work.

Many people love GTT torches, and won't use anything else. Similarly, there are people who will only drive BMWs. Don't get me wrong; GTT makes great torches. Just remember, there are other torches out there … all with different strengths (and weaknesses). You may find that, for what you do and the way you work, you might better like a Carlisle, or Herbert Arnold, or National, or ....

Every new torch comes with a learning curve. Don’t dismiss a torch just because you haven’t learned how to use it correctly. The only way for you to know if you are comfortable with a torch is to actually work on one. It doesn't matter what torch *I* am comfortable using, what matters is what torch *you* are comfortable using.

* Price (& Availability): Someone might suggest something like a GTT Delta Mag as being the best torch in the world, but if you don't have $4000 to spend on a torch, what difference does it make? If we don't know your budget, suggesting torches out of your budget doesn't help, does it?

If you are upgrading from a Hot Head, in addition to the new torch, you will also have to get additional items such as regulator(s), hose(s), an oxygen source (either bottles or an oxycon), etc. Keep this in mind when you set your budget.

Consider the operating expenses. Some torches are more efficient with their use of both gas and oxygen. Like buying a car, it may be better in the long run to spend a little more up front for a more efficient torch, and safe on the cost of gas and oxygen down the road.

If you are already using an oxycon, suggesting a torch too large for your existing oxycon doesn’t help either (unless you have also budgeted for one or more new oxycons )

Some torches keep their resale value better than others. You may be upgrading now from a Hot Head (or a Minor, or …), but you may upgrade again in the future. This need not be the last torch you ever buy.

Don't be afraid of getting a used torch. Sometimes you can get a good deal on a used torch, getting you much more torch for your money. Also, some torch models are, shall we say, in limited availability, or perhaps no longer in production. You may not be able to easily find a new torch in the model you want. A used torch now may be better than a new torch a year from now (especially if the used one retains its resale value).

Seriously, just as I can’t tell you what shoes are best for you, I really can’t tell you what torch is best. I can offer suggestions, but you really need to "try them on" yourself, and see what feels right.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-12-13, 4:22pm
bez

I have a minor and have been torching for 8 years. Otherwise, I have used the Nortel Midrange extensively at the Pittsburgh Glass Center, and at the Miami Gathering I tried a few torches. I am looking for a two stage torch so that I can have more flexibility and melt my boro more quickly, cleanly and with a more consistent neutral flame than I am getting now. I will probably get a footpedal too. This is a real upgrade for me on all accounts. I have a really nice basement studio with good ventilation.
Old 2009-12-13, 4:49pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would want one of the GTTs that has the Lynx as the innerfire - I think it's the Phantom?

Just checked, yup - the Phantom.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-12-13, 5:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushcreek View Post
I have looked seriously at the Carlisle Hellcat, the Barracuda and the Phantom. (I really liked the phantom except their weirdo knobs, but I guess I could get used to that).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushcreek View Post
I have a minor and have been torching for 8 years. Otherwise, I have used the Nortel Midrange extensively at the Pittsburgh Glass Center, and at the Miami Gathering I tried a few torches. I am looking for a two stage torch so that I can have more flexibility and melt my boro more quickly, cleanly and with a more consistent neutral flame than I am getting now. I will probably get a footpedal too. This is a real upgrade for me on all accounts. I have a really nice basement studio with good ventilation.
In that case, all three of the torches you mentioned would work well for you. The Hellcat is already set up for use with a foot pedal. If you get the Barracuda or the Phantom, you will have to make sure you get a 4-stud model (an extra cost option).

Another suggestion in this class of torches would be the Knight Bullet Burner.

Please note that all of these torches will need more oxygen that your existing oxycons can supply.

You still didn't say what your budget is. The Phantom is the only torch in this group that has GTT's 'Triple Mix' feature, but it is also the most expensive.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-12-13, 5:45pm
Skeptical Optimist

We have a Barracuda and a Mirage, both strictly boro at this point,and they rock in their own separate ways . Barracuda is a tough workhorse that we can crack punties off of (don't even THINK about doing that on my Mirage!) and not worry as much about running a smaller flame, and the ports are easy to clean. Mirage ports are not easy to clean at all, but I must be running it correctly because I've never needed to

Barracuda gives a great range and is really a great torch, costs much less, but you will eventually be limited in your size, though it may take some time and you may not if you have enough patience...

Mirage is my darling, though for the stuff I make for our current shows, I rarely crack the outer flame... *sigh* someday goblets, but gotta pay my dues with a tiny kiln and customers that really want pendants ... Phantoms have the same inner fire, so if you do want to spend the extra $, they also resell very well. Good luck, and congrats whatever you get, it'll be a huge upgrade!

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2009-12-13, 8:01pm
He can do the origami

Malcolm...... why can't you just tell me what type of torch to buy?
Sorry but I could not resist. I actually enjoy the fact that you give common sense advice and do not pressure to buy any specific torch... another reason you have such loyal customers my friend.

Otter