The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-01, 11:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Thank you so much Rowyn!

The flowering garden frit is one that has so many colors in it I don't even know what it is anymore... lots of bright furnace glass frits I've mixed and re-mixed so many times that I couldn't even tell you.
http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12593

Hi Kalera,

What glass did you use for those beautiful streaky purple side beads?
Old 2011-07-01, 11:39am

Quote:
You are so welcome, thank you!

The spacers are Bullseye special production color Serena's Blend II.
Ignore my previous question as here is the answer...
Old 2011-07-01, 12:10pm
I'm a lilac!

Oh good... yes, the Serena's Blend is such a pretty glass, I will cry when I run out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-02, 9:16am

Argggh. I should have asked sooner. I wondered if you'd be willing to say what frit you had used on a bead I noticed in your shop, but it's been sold and I don't remember what you named it. It was one of your beautiful long flat tabs, looked like an ivory background with black stringer work and some frit on the ends that gave a black reaction edge and had a blue center.

I really love a lot of your recent work!
Old 2011-07-02, 9:45am
Triumphantly Knit!

Kalera, what press or shaper is this?

thanks as always

namaste
Rowyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpmd04 View Post
I would love to know how this bead is made, it is so stunning!
Thanks!

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-07-02, 2:55pm
I'm a lilac!

It's a bicone that I flattened with this: http://www.cattwalk.com/tabs.htm#The%20Tabulator

Old 2011-07-02, 8:02pm

Default Are you Still looking for questions?

If so I would love to learn how to put teeth on critter beads. Haven't had much luck would love some tricks or have someone point me to a tutorial.
Of course I would prefer Boro..... but... any help would be appricated

Sue and Bootsie
Old 2011-07-02, 8:28pm
Triumphantly Knit!

oooooooooo, I really like that. I seem to be press challenged, but I keep trying. That tab looks like what I wanted but I got lentils instead.

thanks Kalera, much inspiration I get from the techniques you are sharing.

be good to you.

namaste

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Old 2011-07-03, 7:28am

Default painterly effect thread

Hi Kalera,
I started a thread yesterday on how to achieve blended painterly effects in beads.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=199531

This was prompted by a couple of things. I've been thinking about making some beads with the never ending cups of stringer sitting next to my torch and I have long been enamored with beads that have beautifully blended junctures between colors - like watercolors. Your current beadwife series of gorgeous focals (Chewalah, Supai Canyon,Tonasket, Forest Canyon) really epitomize this (as does a focal I got from you long ago that you related to a Joni Mitchell song). I don't want to use your beads as examples and don't want to put you on the spot for current work either, but would appreciate any general tips you could chime in with. Some replies to the thread are suggesting that enamel possibly shards are involved (?frit), but it looks to me like lots of movement and heat. Are you willing to speak in general terms about this series?
Old 2011-07-03, 8:41am
I'm a lilac!

Sure! It's pretty much exactly what you're saying; frit, lots of heat, and letting the glass really move.

Old 2011-07-03, 8:48am
I'm a lilac!

I answered more in depth in your thread, but I'll explain it a little further here as well; those beads are all COE 96, using a mix of opaque frits (mostly Zimmerman) in large sizes, and then superheating the bead and letting gravity swirl the colors. Smircich's instructions are really useful for organic work! Shaping is done last, and you can see how the colors stretch out along the length of the bead when I heat each end and let the glass run down the mandrel a bit.

Old 2011-07-03, 9:11am

ah thanks so much! I had no idea that such blending could occur, but then I sorta thought - well Kalera IS the frit Queen!!!
Old 2011-07-03, 9:12am
I'm a lilac!

Thank you! It's all in the heat.

Old 2011-07-03, 6:01pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Hi Kalera~
I'm having issues with the larger size frit popping off my bead or not sticking at all unless I really mush each piece in. Do you have any suggestions?
thank you
namaste
Rowyn

Old 2011-07-04, 6:34pm
Critter Mom

Oh I love this bead

Quote:

Old 2011-07-05, 6:54am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tumblingdragonz View Post
Hi Kalera~
I'm having issues with the larger size frit popping off my bead or not sticking at all unless I really mush each piece in. Do you have any suggestions?
thank you
namaste
Rowyn
What I usually do is make sure the bead is very hot, and then after I roll it in frit I give it a few seconds for the frit to absorb some of that heat before I bring it (slowly) back into the flame.

Old 2011-07-05, 6:55am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinCoquille View Post
Oh I love this bead
Thank you Bonnie!

Old 2011-07-05, 8:07am
Triumphantly Knit!

Thank you~I'll give that a try

namaste

Old 2011-07-05, 8:23am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

If you have a chance to reheat your frit ahead of time, that also helps, hot plate will be better than nothing.
Old 2011-07-05, 6:22pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Oh oh oh oh.oh....treat it like murrini....I'm starting to feel like maybe, just maybe I'm entering the toddler stage of lampwork, lol!

ya'all are so clever!

namaste

Old 2011-07-05, 6:47pm

Yep - I always try to rush to the flame - never would have thought about the heat entering the large pieces of frit that way - DUH! Thanks again Kalera!
Old 2011-07-08, 8:24am
I'm a lilac!

Someone emailed me a general question about working with boro color in beads, and I thought I'd post my answer here in case it might be helpful for anyone else:

The best advice I could give for anyone wanting to get a great basis on making colorful beads with boro is to learn to build their own layered canes; I learned by watching Doug Remschneider's video "Boro Bead Magic" DVD: http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=2066

A lot of my canes, which I use as base color for most of my beads, are made through pure experimentation and grabbing rods on a whim. They are all colors layered over a clear core, and then pulled out into a 4-5mm thick twisted cane which I then use as a base for frits and encasement. I think one of the best moves I ever could have made when I started in boro was to pick up a big batch of unlabeled mixed shorts from Mr. Smiley on LE; since I had no idea what they were and they were cheap, I wasn't at all hesitant about just using them up in any random combination that seemed good, and I learned a LOT about recognizing how a boro color will turn out just by watching its reaction in the flame. I feel like I am better able to instinctively use boro colors thanks to that. Sure, sometimes I got ugh, and sometimes I got magic that I was never able to replicate, but overall it was GREAT experience.

Old 2011-07-19, 11:10am

Kalera
I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed this thread...
Your beads are gorgeous and great inspirations!
If this has been asked before, please forgive me

This is the most beautiful pink/fuchsias color ever, could you tell me what it is?
http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12758

Thank you so very much.....

granny
Old 2011-07-19, 5:07pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by granny View Post
Kalera
I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed this thread...
Your beads are gorgeous and great inspirations!
If this has been asked before, please forgive me

This is the most beautiful pink/fuchsias color ever, could you tell me what it is?
http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12758

Thank you so very much.....

granny
Thank you! That is Bullseye's transparent light fuchsia, I forget the number but it's part of their regular line and it's one of the prettiest pink transparents I've ever used!

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 3:17pm.
Old 2011-07-19, 8:27pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

That is true, Bullseye has the most quantity and most beautiful pinks. And if I remember right they tend to not burn like the 104 coe does. If I worked 2 coes I would choose BE as my second.

Old 2011-07-21, 3:34pm

Hi Kalera, thank you so much for this thread! Your beads are so inspiring!

You may have said this in an earlier post that I read a long time ago, but do you mostly use 5/64 size mandrels? The links today were all 5/64. I wondered if your customers have a preference for 5/64 for a particular reason.

Thanks!
Barb
Old 2011-07-21, 8:02pm

Default Glass on Wire

I am trying to figure out how to add a blob of glass on the end of a wire. What is the best type of wire to use? I have tried and the glass and wire seem to reject each other. Any tips or how-to lessons that someone can share or direct me to?
Old 2011-07-21, 8:28pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Is your wire hot? Cold metal wont attach to a hot glass...
Old 2011-07-22, 7:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
Is your wire hot? Cold metal wont attach to a hot glass...
Yes, I have heated up the wire. I have tried it just like I was putting glass on a mandrel. Is there a certain metal wire that needs to be used (copper, silver etc.)?
Old 2011-07-22, 8:20pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeevaaS View Post
Hi Kalera, thank you so much for this thread! Your beads are so inspiring!

You may have said this in an earlier post that I read a long time ago, but do you mostly use 5/64 size mandrels? The links today were all 5/64. I wondered if your customers have a preference for 5/64 for a particular reason.

Thanks!
Barb
I really like the 5/64" mandrels because customers seem to prefer smaller holes, but I go through 1/16" mandrels like crazy because they bend fairly easily. The 5/64" are smaller than 3/32" but sturdy enough that they don't bend nearly as easily as the 1/16".