Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-11-19, 11:16pm

Default Simply Berry question

When the heck did this glass get so expensive, and why is the batch I just bought so much darker than my previous one? I haven't tried it out yet but worried it's going to come out basically black - even when I hold it up to the light I can barely see colour. Luckily it was on sale at Frantz but the retail price is $75-95/pound depending on where I look???

Also curious about my opal yellow. Batches I've bought lately don't have the same striations through the glass (like "rings")... not as pretty on its own but still a good base for frits etc...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-11-20, 7:15am
Disconnected

Consistency seems to have become difficult to achieve in glass production. I don't know if it has to do with raw materials or processing, but I have noticed it as well. It's especially noticeable with CIM because they used to be so precise (or else would stick a Unique label on it), but now several colors have changed (chalky Gelly's Sty, bluer Mermaid, different hues of Linen with the same label). May have been reformulated?
It is a bit confusing that they do that when they go through the trouble of marketing such similar colors under different names (say, Hazelnut Mousse and Oyster Mushroom or Lichen and Dried Sage, for instance).

Old 2014-11-20, 7:32am
Angie09

I agree with Flonche ... I've stopped buying the CIM limited colors all together. What's the point ... fall in love with a color that you can only get 1/4lb of or not get at all. Plus, several of my new order of CIM (not new colors but new order....ie. Marischino, Peace and several others) are huge chunk makers. The pieces that fly are not frit but actual 1/2-1" pieces flying through my studio. And some, not from the beginning of the rod but half way through when I've been lulled into a feeling of safety. Makes me jump even higher. Such a shame cuz the colors are beautiful!!!
Old 2014-11-20, 8:28am

I love the CiM colours as well. I am mostly shocked at how expensive some of them have become. I'm curious why a transparent purple would be so expensive, because I don't think the "ingredients" are all that expensive, I mean that price is close to what we pay per pound for the silvered glasses! And that it is not even a consistent colour and may be useless to me unless I layer it over clear (and it is one of my popular colours for spacers, so that won't really work). I'll have to see how it comes out once it's worked.

Old 2014-11-20, 1:26pm
Corgi Cult Member

The Simply Berry I got in my last order was the super dark stuff. Very disappointed considering what it costs. The previous batch was good for encased florals, but I don't know what I'll do with the current one.

Old 2014-11-20, 2:18pm

I did not even reorder it because it was so expensive. China owns the mines that supply most of the coloring agents so the prices should not be going up that much!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-11-20, 2:23pm
Disconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
I did not even reorder it because it was so expensive. China owns the mines that supply most of the coloring agents so the prices should not be going up that much!
Well, precisely! They're good at domestic capitalism too!

Old 2014-11-24, 2:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
Well, precisely! They're good at domestic capitalism too!
Yep!! They learned that really fast. It is interesting that Jack Ma came to the US to go public with Alibaba and didn't do it in China!

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-11-24, 2:30pm

PS Beads came out basically black. $95/pound black glass???

Old 2014-11-25, 1:25pm

Sad!

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-11-25, 2:42pm

New batch

Old batch

:~(

Old 2014-11-25, 3:11pm

OMG, that is a drastic difference. Oh how disappointing.

Karen

ripzz
Old 2014-11-25, 3:12pm

Not to mention when I used to buy it, the price was probably half what it is now! It's sad because it was such a pretty colour.

Old 2014-11-25, 3:25pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I would send a message to Kathy about this if I were you, Amy. That is a perfect illustration of unacceptable variation.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2014-11-25, 3:30pm
Loving learning

Is there any possibility that you were sent the wrong glass?
Old 2014-11-25, 3:32pm

I don't think so, it had the proper CiM stickers on it. I think I will let Kathy and Frantz know though just like as an FYI... I'm not looking for restitution as I only bought a half pound and it was on sale. I feel bad for other people who might have bought more and been disappointed.

Old 2014-11-25, 3:32pm
Loving learning

Or could you have gotten the -1 in error the first time?
http://www.creationismessy.com/unique.aspx?id=14
Old 2014-11-25, 3:40pm

Nope I don't think so. I'd bought it a few times before and it looked like the paddle of the regular Simply Berry, not the lighter odd lot. And it was consistent between batches before.

Old 2014-11-25, 4:04pm
Loving learning

Then I agree, they probably would probably like to know about it.
Old 2014-11-25, 4:06pm

Kathy has already responded to me and is going to look into it

Old 2014-11-25, 4:57pm
Loving learning

Nice! I've always heard that they are very responsive to customers.
Old 2014-11-26, 1:50pm

Wow Amy. That is a huge difference.Hope Kathy can straighten it out. They are supposed to know what leaves the factory but I guess it is tough when the owner is in the U.S. and the manufacturer in China. Sure glad didn't pick up any more. It was mostly because the price was too high. I wonder what could possible make glass that expensive to buy???

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-11-26, 2:12pm

I asked Kathy about the price jump too - she said all the purples are more expensive right now cause of materials costs going up. It still seems pretty high to me though. I mean, that's getting up there with the silver colours (higher than some of them actually!) It becomes a question of whether or not it's even worth stocking a colour anymore. I already gave up on the CiM pinks for the same reason - very pretty but just not worth the price, to me anyway.

Old 2014-11-26, 9:34pm

Yeah I gave up on those also. I don't understand how Lauscha is so much cheaper. And I think that they have to import all of their colorants (called rare earths) from China which owns 90% of the mines in the world.

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-11-27, 1:52am
Naysayer

Agreed, I posted about this earlier, it's more than silver glass. What will I buy, some DH or purple? I love simply berry...er the old batch, but not that much!
Old 2014-12-03, 12:58pm

Effetre 044 Dark Amethyst

Effetre 042 Med Amethyst

Both are currently $12/pound at Frantz and 40% off. So I don't understand the "purple is expensive" thing. I'm just switching to using these instead of Simply Berry from now on. Sad to say because I like to support Creation is Messy I do like them a lot

Old 2014-12-03, 1:37pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I remember reading that some of the pinks contain gold & that's why the price jumped up so much.

Vivian

-

Old 2014-12-03, 4:18pm

I had a talk with Kathy today and she was super nice. She seems to really value feedback from glass artists so I'm really glad I contacted her! Her thought on the batch that denser colour was a good thing - more bang for your buck I guess. And I explained that maybe for some people that's a good thing, but not for my purpose for the glass since I mostly use it for spacers. She doesn't know either how some of the other manufacturers can do the pinks/purples and even other colours for as cheap as they do. Anyway overall she was very supportive and is sending me some of another batch of Simply Berry to test out. This batch probably would be very pretty over a white or clear base to dilute it some so that's what I will probably end up doing with it...

Bottom line is, Kathy does want to hear feedback from us and she cares about glass artists and making them happy. Which are major pluses for CiM as far as I'm concerned!

Old 2014-12-08, 3:16pm

Manganese (the main colorant in purple glasses) costs around $2.25/kg and hasn't changed much on the world market in a long time. The pinks that have gold in them have only about 10ppm (that's 0.001%) gold so even with high gold prices that's probably not what's really driving the glass price. Energy costs of production are more likely to be the real driver over materials. IMHO.

Robert
Old 2014-12-08, 5:37pm

And the cost of fuel has been tanking lately.

Like US on Facebook !