LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-05-05, 5:35am

Default Begginers mistake

I put an order in with OCR for some of their overstocked glass. When I opened the box it was filled with great looking glass. I know this is my error and not theirs but I got a Cherry red Rod, wow that is big. Any Ideas on what I can do with this. I know I can break it apart and make frit but I thought some of you may have other Ideas.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

e-mail:
Old 2013-05-05, 6:17am
Fried Cat

Break it apart, huge-for-frit chunks and melt it down for stringer, or 3-4mm rods.
Old 2013-05-05, 6:20am
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

I know you do a lot of fusing. If it is 96, the color is very intense. I bought some broken ones that I was going to try a mesh melt with. I like them better than pot melts.

Pam
Old 2013-05-05, 6:24am

Thank you both. It is 96 and it's a fantastic color. I'm thinking maybe I'll slice some of it and use in a fusing project.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-05-05, 6:35am
SCIENCE Teacher!

You can pull chunks into rods too. Ya know, they would probably take it back minus a small restocking fee. Unless you are in love with the color may want to return it or you end up having it for the rest of your life.
Old 2013-05-05, 11:36am
I'm meeeeelting

"Rod" is OCR-speak for hot shop color, "cane" is the lampworking sized stuff. You're not the first to make that mistake. If you want to pull chunks into stringer or rods, toss them in your kiln at 1050ish and give them a good soak first. That should keep them from exploding when they hit the flame.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2013-05-05 at 11:39am.
Old 2013-05-05, 2:13pm

Thanks Felicia, I will probably do that but it's good to know I'm not the only one to do this.
Bb

e-mail:
Old 2013-05-09, 8:14am

I just made this mistake like... last week. I felt dumb. Glad someone else has done it

Old 2013-05-10, 4:53am

I have maybe 50lbs of those huge rods, spent a fortune on them when I was a rank "beginner" . I've used some. The colors are really intense so a bit goes a long way
Liz R