No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-29, 7:37am
Formerly Kellyhorton

Default questions about shows

1. I know I saw a discussion in here on how to raise your tables at a show,

2. plus how to make risers for table tops (out of foam for some reason Im thinking) I cant find it, anyone remember where it was at?

3. oh, one more question, what is your torch set up for at shows?

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-03-29, 9:06am

Hi Kelly,

1. I use pieces of PVC pipe, about a foot long, slipped over the table legs to raise it. It is best if you scribe the floor end of the pipe, since it will be splayed out at an angle. Get a Mr Sharpie and put it on a 1/2 inch thick board, laying flat around the installed pipe. mark completely around the splayed pipe to find horizontal. Cut along the line.

3. Whatever torch you use, be sure to have a shield or barrier to keep from torching a customer, or their kids. Kids will center themselves right in front, and close to the torch.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-03-29, 9:22am

Hi Kelly,
I posted a demo table here http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146232
Important to weigh it down on the bottom, concerned about wind.
I can not find the table riser thread. Best of luck MarieAnn
Old 2010-03-29, 10:01am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I was asked to set up my torch for demonstrations at a show recently. I was inspired by some photos posted in the LE booth gallery thread. Here is what I came up with:

Here is what I found. I really missed having ventilation. The fumes seemed to get trapped inside the little booth. The sun was blinding, so I had to hang a curtain, and tie it down so it wouldn't blow into the torch. I want to get a hot head and annealing bubbles, because lugging around the bigger tanks really sucked!

I had a list of facts about glass for people to read, it was taped to the window. (I bought the window for $10 at a Habitat for Huamity, Restore. Basically a recycling center for construction.) The side panels I already had and they are from home depot. I love the rolling plastic drawers. It helps organize my supplies, tools, and equipment for easy access. I got a few students out of having the demo booth too.

For display risers, I use table leafs and raised them with wine bottles, wine glasses and cigar boxes. They were all reinforced with the gallery putty so they wouldn't slide around under the polished wood. It worked very well except for the huge gust of wind that blew in my back wall and pushed over half of one table. Lesson: move in your tables away from walls in case of wind. I am working on cutting dowels and drilling some holes. The dowels take up a fraction of the space, and weigh much less ( the tissue is not part of my normal display, I was on my last days of a cold)

Old 2010-03-29, 12:48pm
Addicted to Melting Glass

You can also raise up your tables using "Bed Risers". Look for them on Amazon.com (through Target, I think), or at places like Bed, Bath, & Beyond. I've used PVC as well as the risers, and both work.

Old 2010-04-10, 3:57pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

Thanks everyone!

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.