No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-08, 9:06am
I speak Murrini!

Tina...

I think you TOTALLY NAILED IT! You've very well put into words what my feeling is, at least, and I think that the more I REALLY think about it, the more I realize that lots of us who have posted here saying we WISHED we had a personal style/signature about our work already DO!

Lisi, for example....I always know here work while scrolling through Gallery, even before I look at the avatar and see her name. Same with Astrid, Carolyn M, Judith, etc.

Hum...do you guys sort of recognize MY work - before seeing it's Lil old ME in the Avatar? I wonder...

There are lampworkers such as Cynthia (glassactcc), Claudia (glasting), Dawn, JC, Melanie, Teresa (LavenderCreek) and so on whose work is unmistakable at a glance! Even though many of us aren't technically quite THERE yet, maybe we're closer than we realize.

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-05-08, 9:16am
Wonderland sounds fun...

Yup, De, I do recognize your work right off the bat! btw, love Domo!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2010-05-08, 9:42am
Addicted to Melting Glass

Great topic! I resonated with the comment that as we practice (practice, practice) various techniques eventually our voice will emerge. With me I'm not sure whether I have a distinctive style yet or not. I like so many different styles that I feel I would be stifled having to pick just one and stay within it. Some days I feel the need to make the bright, graphic beads, and others I'm definitely into organic. I struggle with this when applying to juried shows that are looking for artists to show a "cohesive body of work".

Old 2010-05-08, 9:54am
I speak Murrini!

Patty!!! Like we wouldn't recognize those cute Meanie Beads were YOURS? I would...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-05-08, 10:57am
Addicted to Melting Glass

De - yes, that is one obvious exception I can think of.

Old 2010-05-08, 2:25pm
Now in living color

Here's a little exercise you could try. Take pictures of your top 10-20 all-time most favorite beads. Now reduce the images and put them all on one page.

What do you see?

Any similarities or trends?

What about them makes you smile or happy or satisfied? Why did you pick them?

Do any of them, either individually or maybe a group, inspire you to run to the torch? Then GO!

I think most people do have a signature style, but maybe just don't recognize it as such.

Look at this collection of your work. I'll bet your signature is there.

Jinx

Old 2010-05-08, 4:07pm
Entropy increasing....

I do not think I have, nor do I want, a style. I think it might be limiting.

Instead I would rather do "collections" where I make a bunch of the same style and then move on to something else.
Old 2010-05-08, 4:23pm
too many rods in the fire

Loving this discussion!

I think I don't want a signature style or a signature bead, BUT - I really want to teach someday soon, and feel that in order to teach you almost have to have a signature "something" that is yours.

Think about it - other than a beginning beadmaking class (which I would also enjoy teaching, but there are tons of others who already do so, and do it well), pretty much everyone who teaches has a signature style, bead, or technique they've refined as "theirs", etc.

I too am all over the place with my beads and I enjoy it, because it allows me to explore all the various wonderful ideas, color combinations, shapes and techniques, and continue to learn and grow. I don't like the idea of being limited to just certain types of beads. But I am a teacher by nature, and really would love to teach lampwork someday. I just haven't figured out how to reconcile the two yet. Hopefully in my exploration, I will stumble across something worthy of teaching to others so I can indulge my love of teaching others.

Old 2010-05-08, 4:55pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

What a GREAT idea Jinx!!!

In my journey, I think I kind of do like Kevan said - it's my way of exploring different styles, but I always go back to "mooning" over those beads I love the most - and probably will never attain....Cynthia Tilker, Anastasia, Astrid, Anouk, Pinar, Glassting, Polka Dottie, Teresa from Lavender Creek, Moth.....and the list goes on and on......sigh......:} We are so lucky as a collective group to have soooooo many super-talents to help guide us here at LE!!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-05-09, 7:31am

Thanks for pointing me here Astrid! It's very interesting to read everyone's perspectives on style and signature bead.

If anyone had ever told me I was going to be making monkey's and goddess beads when I started lampworking I'm not sure I would have bothered!! They were the furthest thing from my mind but somehow I have gravitated to these two themes and keep coming back to them.

I agree with JC that the more skills you can master the more free you become to really explore ideas.

As for making the same style over and over? Jo, you nailed it! That's how I feel, I haven't made the one in my head yet -- maybe when I do I'll start making something different. There's a comfort that comes with making a certain design over and over, and in that comfort comes the inspiration to take it to another level and change it up a bit.

Oh it's all about the Joy of Glass and imagination and fire and fun!! ... And I'm SO glad we are all different and inspired by so many things, because, like Astrid said without others creations to look at it wouldn't be half as much fun.

Old 2010-05-09, 7:37am
one day at a time

I got the bead crunch shape down pat now, so I was overjoyed to get a small custom order for 5 beads. Wow, something different and I'm really looking forward to making these!
Old 2010-05-09, 10:54am
He can do the origami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truewealth View Post
...For me, I really hadn't given the idea of creating a particular "style" of bead any thought. I just made what I felt like making....
And that is probably exactly why your signature came through in your work.

Otter
Old 2010-05-09, 11:46am
Salt Box Beads

Most natural artists move through phases but as we have seen here a lot of the "known " beadmakers get known for their beads that they produce frequently and quite well.

Trey's tab beads. Kevan was making some fantastic godesses at one time, but we also fell in love with her photos and she has shown to be skilled in quite a few areas, kimberly for her sea horses and complex gather twisties and teaching. The list could go on forever.

I personally think it is terrific to have something unique that you can make a niche with and of course always be experimenting.

I read often where an artist states: I used to make these a long time ago and felt like making them again. I love that.

So if you desire a signature bead or style that you want to be known for..go for it, but always keep reaching further and stretching your capabilities. You may very well be known for several different styles.

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-05-09 at 3:59pm.
Old 2010-05-09, 1:53pm
Sparkle Strumpet

Before you overwhelm yourselves wishing for a signature bead, stop and take a look at your actual written signature....and then look at your signature from ten years ago, last week and seven months ago...or any other time interval. Are they the same?

Then, look at your home, your clothes, your color choices.....and if those things have remained static for a long period of time, then maybe you are ready for a signature bead. But, if your tastes and choices are always evolving, then don't worry about it.

However, most of the people I know who have signature beads....have not declared that particular bead their signature....someone else has. They are often surprised by this declaration...and then feel a bit stuck with it. When they abandon the "signature" bead to move along in their art, they are wracked with guilt, yet they choose to evolve.

Sometimes, artists aren't able to break from that stinkin', irritatin' signature bead because it sells like a fiend and they would be insane to give it up. Now, I'd like to be in that financial position....but I'd hate to be stuck with a style.

I'm not sure that having a signature bead that one is stuck with is all that wonderful. I think it would be a bit like being Ron Howard. He's a fabulous producer, writer and movie maker...however, he'll always be Opie to me.....and millions of others.

So, why be Opie?

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2010-05-11, 3:01pm

I have thought about this a lot over the past 5 years of enjoying this wonderful journey called glass. For myself I highly doubt that I will ever attain a signature style status. In fact I really don't want to. I have come to peace in my mind that I will be the bead artist who has dimpled ends, my beads can "stand up" on their own without a prop(aka: balanced), the colors will reflect my personal taste, and I am happy and proud to sign certain ones. I will never be able to support my self with my bead sales, that is not a career path I have chosen. This glass, this technique, is here to supply me with a joyful outlet. A place to quiet the madness of the world around me. The people who have my beads giggle when they use or see them. There is a sense of quality and dignity about each one and I release it into the universe freely to bring joy where that little beady can.
Signature style? NO
Great teacher? Some have thanked me for what I show them.
Memorable works? Only in the eye of the beholder.
For me the most important thing is to be at peace while I work the glass. After all is said and done no one is going to remember me for my beads. I don't want them to. I want them to remember me for the person I am. If some of that is reflected in the work I do with my hands then good. If not I certainly will be remembered for how I made them feel.
Case point: when there is an open torch at Studio 34 I will happily share what I have learned by reading, working and wasting glass. It builds and advances another persons joy.
Case Point: Heather Ferman(sp?) When I first started WetCanvas was the main place I went for questions etc. She was already accomplished at making flowers in beads. She then started experimenting with shape. After a 2 YEAR journey she had a particular shape and style of bead. She made it over and over again - ad nauseum. Now that shape is in the Corning museum of glass and she teaches widely. That is called practice, practice, practice. I am sure there are days she doesn't want to see that shape or style of bead. I am sure it is no longer a comfort bead for her. I am also sure that bead is not how she wants to be defined. Dasi feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Mary Lockwood is one of the people who I will buy a tutorial from and want to study with. Why? Cause that woman could make s**t on a stick look good. It would be dimpled, balanced, and appealing. There ya go Mary a new bead challenge for yourself!

Stop agonizing over a style and focus on quality.

Jen
Old 2010-05-13, 9:17pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

I too like to make many different styles and types of beads. I also enjoy doing off mandrel work. I get bored with the same thing over and over again and don't often make sets of beads. I prefer large beads and pendants with lots of interest. However, shortly after taking up lampworking, I started working on off mandrel horse head pendants because horses are a part of my soul. Over time I have developed what I believe to be my signature work in my horses. However, I don't make them all the time, I must have the passion to do them. If I made them over and over again, the would cease to be special to me. I did have one large custom order for the same style.....30 of them. I admit it took me a looooooong time to get them all completed because they are not something that I can just sit and mass produce. Each piece has it's own personality and individuality. In a way I was striving to find my own signature style but it came from my love for something very dear to me and continues to evolve as I discover better ways to make them while still staying true to my artistic vision for them. Draw from your life, your passions, your interests and your experiences. Those are the muses that I find give the best artistic inspiration.

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb