Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2016-07-12, 6:36am
ManBearPig

Default Color reviews - anyone interested?

I've been thinking about doing a series of videos where for each video I would take one color of glass and review it. Talk about how to work it, show different ways to use it, etc. Thinking about just setting up a Youtube channel to do it, so they would be free.

Would this be something people would be interested in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2016-07-12, 11:18am

Yes, I would find that really helpful

thanks,

Lisa
Old 2016-07-12, 12:54pm
Loving learning

Do you even need to ask? Yes!
I am pretty much stuck at the starting line, wondering what to do with what rods. Of course most of mine are unlabeled shorts, but maybe I would actually order some labeled stuff if I knew more about it.
Old 2016-07-12, 1:06pm

I would love it. I am clueless about boro.
Old 2016-07-12, 4:40pm
Borovangelist

Might be fun. They tried something similar in one of the glass magazines and it got a bit dull after a while. I think it was because one jelly fish looked like another after so many.

|
|
Old 2016-07-12, 11:29pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Absolutely!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2016-07-13, 5:50am
ManBearPig

Okay, so follow up question...

Would you like to see a different video for every color? Or would you like to see several colors from the same "family" in the same video? There are a lot of colors that work similarly and could be shown together, but if it's easier to navigate, doing each one separately is not that big of a deal either.

Old 2016-07-13, 7:51am
Loving learning

Two or three in one would be OK too.
And maybe have a link for anyone who wants to make a donation of some sort, if that is allowable?
Old 2016-07-13, 8:12am
Lifelong Student

Cosmo, what a great idea and offering! I've been wanting to explore boro, but lack of knowledge has stopped me. I'll be watching this thread for further info.
Old 2016-07-14, 12:03am
Bernhard Riegler

Maybe do a special one for silver colors, as this is still something people are struggling with. Normal colors like crayons don't need in-depth explanation, just how to avoid bubbling/boiling. It would be awesome if you could show/explain how to get the most of those silver colors like amber purples, mai-tai, and all the others. Also black is a big issue. I have seen so many blacks go grey because of the wrong flame chemistry. Your offer to do this is wonderful, but a huge job. I hope you have the time to pull it through.
How many times have we seen beautiful silver colors go muddy tan/grey - burning off the haze and working it super hot still seems to be a problem for many. By doing a video you might be able to help many many glass enthusiasts - thank you for that!
Kind regards - Bernhard

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2016-07-14, 2:02am

Oh yes please

Old 2016-07-14, 5:31am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onekura View Post
Maybe do a special one for silver colors, as this is still something people are struggling with. Normal colors like crayons don't need in-depth explanation, just how to avoid bubbling/boiling. It would be awesome if you could show/explain how to get the most of those silver colors like amber purples, mai-tai, and all the others. Also black is a big issue. I have seen so many blacks go grey because of the wrong flame chemistry. Your offer to do this is wonderful, but a huge job. I hope you have the time to pull it through.
How many times have we seen beautiful silver colors go muddy tan/grey - burning off the haze and working it super hot still seems to be a problem for many. By doing a video you might be able to help many many glass enthusiasts - thank you for that!
Kind regards - Bernhard
Yeah. I'm working on ideas right now for how to do it. I'd like to go as in depth as I can with some of the colors. In addition to showing how to work the color, I also want to make something with each color. Preferably making the same thing out of each color. I just need to figure out what. Something that ideally can show different ways to work the same color in the same piece. I have some ideas, but I just have to see how they work out.

This is something I'm planning on getting started on, but probably won't actually be online for a few months.

Old 2016-07-20, 4:52pm
Everlasting Fire Studio

Definitely! We try to do our own research, but sometimes seeing it is a lot better than reading it.

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
Old 2016-07-21, 8:43am
ManBearPig

I'm planning on trying a couple things this weekend. Will keep everyone posted.

Old 2016-07-21, 8:49am

Yes. Maybe a little off subject, but have you tried any glass from Tucker Lura? His colors look so delicious.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2016-07-21, 8:49am

That would be fantastic!

Old 2016-07-21, 11:23am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane View Post
Yes. Maybe a little off subject, but have you tried any glass from Tucker Lura? His colors look so delicious.
No. I haven't even heard of him. Do you have a link?

I do want to try some of the Molten Aura colors as well.

But when I start I'll start with the big three - Northstar, Glass Alchemy, and Momka's. While I love that smaller guys are coming up, I have noticed that a lot of their glass seems to be hard to get or is a limited run and once it's gone won't be made again. That's great, but no real need to review it if nobody can get it. Once I get through the big three (which should keep me busy for quite a while) I'll take a look at some of the smaller guys.

Old 2016-07-30, 7:24am

Chad - I think this is a wonderful idea. I get more questions about the silver glasses than anything else however the cadmium colors are just as a mystery as well. More so from the perspective of how to work them in the flame without boiling them. Adding Momka and TAG would be good too. They have wonderful colors but nobody seems to want to explore them. There are so many new startup companies - Molten Aura, Sparkle Pants Ranch, GL33, etc. who have amazing reactive colors which can also be tough to work. I would love to have something I could show in the studio for students or just those who have questions.
Old 2016-07-30, 5:41pm

Yes indeed---
Old 2016-08-07, 12:40pm

I for one would be most obliged to you if you do this.
One of the biggest mysteries to me is how you finer folks burn the haze off a silver glass (I can do that part) WITHOUT boiling/scorching adjacent "tamer" colors, say, while doing decorative backing on a marble.
Old 2016-08-08, 5:43am
ManBearPig

I've started doing a little bit of filming. I'm finishing up my marble class right now but look for the color reviews to start coming in maybe October.

Old 2016-08-10, 4:30am

Brilliant news

Old 2016-08-15, 9:31am

it is seral years later now, are there you tube flims about working Boro
Old 2016-08-16, 7:12am

Yes, that would be great.
Old 2016-08-16, 12:38pm
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by glastrid View Post
it is seral years later now, are there you tube flims about working Boro
?? He just posted this thread in July, not sure what you mean.
Old 2016-08-17, 1:15pm
Lava Maker

Great idea. I look forward to seeing your results.

Ann DeHoff
Old 2016-10-20, 12:23pm
Bead Maniac

Waiting for color reviews , I make lots of mud.....sign me up for videos

My blog.

Old 2016-10-21, 8:45am

yes please!
Old 2016-10-21, 8:50am
ManBearPig

Still in the works. Amanda is starting her second two month course of chemo right now, so not a lot of time to work on it. But I'm getting there.