Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-09-23, 7:09pm

Nice color, Phatpat! Beautiful pink and blue.
Did you use only silver?
Old 2013-09-23, 7:33pm
Bernhard Riegler

this "fume quest" is incredible - you guys rock - this is better than the S&T. This is eye candy pure. Phatpat, you got some awesome colour there. PaPi, that pendant is just stunning. I would love to see a picture side on. Keep posting those goodies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-23, 7:50pm
Phragile Glasswerks

Thanks Onekura and Papi. Papi i only used silver in the honeycomb.
Old 2013-09-23, 9:44pm
Bernhard Riegler

when things go wrong . . I wanted to do opposing spirals, but the symetry fell appart - bummer

Last edited by Onekura; 2013-12-13 at 6:47pm.
Old 2013-09-24, 5:30am

Pat, the colors on that honeycomb are great. Onekura , that pendant looks fine to me, even if it's not perfect. I finally get a chance to torch today! Everybody have a great day!
Dave
Old 2013-09-25, 7:28pm

Nice Onekura! It looks much better than just "perfect" opposing spiral to me.

From me, two flowers. The petals are made with gold fume over white.
Attached Images

Old 2013-09-26, 6:46am
Marble Lover

Fumetastic!

-BEP
Old 2013-09-26, 10:49am

I love this thread. I've made some attempts but all have been too pitiful to even photograph. But the inspiration of you all is wonderful!!

Old 2013-09-27, 10:00am

Default fume-a-go-go

some new ones.
Attached Images

Old 2013-09-27, 10:02am
Bernhard Riegler

looking good Dave

Old 2013-09-27, 1:40pm
Bernhard Riegler

it looks like gold on white is the flavour of the week

Old 2013-09-27, 3:12pm
Phragile Glasswerks

Very nice Onekura! That one looks endless. Dave second one and forth one r my favorite. Very nice!

Last edited by PhatPat; 2013-09-27 at 3:15pm.
Old 2013-09-28, 8:36am
Marble Lover

Lovin' all of them, guys and gals. And aliens.

-BEP
Old 2013-09-28, 11:17am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onekura View Post
when things go wrong . . I wanted to do opposing spirals, but the symetry fell appart - bummer
Oh - oh - just found this thread - everything is wonderful but I like this one especially, it looks magic to me. If you want to get rid of the "bummer" send it to me to dispose of it properly (by hanging it from a necklace round my neck).

Kreszentia

My Etsy-Shop:
- selling worldwide for 5 Euros s&h flat
My Homepage:

My facebook:
Old 2013-10-02, 11:51am

I love seeing all the fume. Keep em coming people! Fresh piece from yesterday. 100% fume. Honeycomb is hollow so it'll fill in. Only silver in this honeycomb.

Old 2013-10-02, 12:47pm
Marble Lover

Nice job, great color.

-BEP
Old 2013-10-02, 3:20pm
Phragile Glasswerks

Dang! Chummsdoe sweet piece!
Old 2013-10-04, 10:39am

Default New tool

I bought a nautilus press. I'm not sure how much I like it. Here are a couple of fumed pendants. And one pendant w/ blue lighting. I think that the distortions would look better w/ dichro. Anyway thanks for taking a look.
Dave
Attached Images

Old 2013-10-06, 4:39pm

Just curious - how much fume of gold and silver do you guys use. I've tried some test pieces today and although I got a "Very light" green it wasn't very noticeable - you almost couldn't see it. Do I need to fume more?

Old 2013-10-06, 4:57pm

I would defer to Onekura's thoughts on this issue. He is the color king of fuming, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by dlando1; 2013-10-06 at 7:24pm.
Old 2013-10-06, 8:23pm
Bernhard Riegler

thank you, Dave - when I fume gold, I fume until I get a nice noticeable maroon colour - sometimes more to get the gold-plated look. With silver - if you use only a little you get the blues - if you fume until you see a caramel colour you will end up with a white. To get good greens, I fume heavy gold and just a little silver. The biggest problem with fuming is, that you don't burn it off again - it is very heat sensitive. Also, I never got good colour on Schott glass - with Simax it works much better. I heard Kimbel works even better, but I have not tried this as I cant get it here in NZ. To learn it, I would suggest you fume until you see the fume on your work piece - can't have too much gold - encase it in clear and work it further out in the flame so you dont burn it off. I made many pendants and worked it too hot and all the fume disappeared. Also, when fuming silver lightly, I found if you hold it to a strong light you will see a blueish tint - that will give you the electric blues. It takes a while to get a feel for it - and even then I can never be sure of the outcome - that is the magic of fuming

Old 2013-10-06, 8:29pm
Bernhard Riegler

years ago I made a simple tut about gold fuming - have a look - you will see how heavy I fumed the gold . . . : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6I3mE1ISuU
The tut is about as basic as can be - I should really take it off . . .

Old 2013-10-06, 8:33pm
Bernhard Riegler

and I forgot to mention that I use tanked oxygen - I heard people have problems fuming when using concentrators - something to do with the purity of the oxygen

Old 2013-10-07, 9:52am
Borosapien

another fume bear

Old 2013-10-07, 4:38pm

Thanks so much for the tip Onekura. I definitely was not fuming enough with the gold - will try again this weekend and we shall see what we shall see Planning a trip to New Zealand next year - will definitely look you up

Old 2013-10-08, 5:59pm

Nice bear! Marcel. Many beautiful colors. I love your bears.
And thank you for the tips, Onekura.
I usually use concentrators for fuming, but I may as well try tanked O2.

From me, a fume pendant. White lines on backing is also silver fumed.
The front colors of gold and silver fume looks faint over this whitish back.
It is interesting in its own way, but I may as well try color glass on other occasion.
Attached Images

Old 2013-10-08, 9:04pm
Bernhard Riegler

PaPi - I can see how much work went into this pendant - the background looks like a fumed reticello - wonderful - the front has good colour and the perfect shape - it is 2 wonderful pendants in one. I would love to see a photo of it taken in the sun - it must have the most awesome sparkle.

Old 2013-10-08, 9:39pm
Bernhard Riegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadz Gone Wild View Post
Thanks so much for the tip Onekura. I definitely was not fuming enough with the gold - will try again this weekend and we shall see what we shall see Planning a trip to New Zealand next year - will definitely look you up
looking forward to that

and if I might add . . when you fume with gold (kind of sounds expensive), but in my opinion fuming is way cheaper than buying coloured rods. That is the reason why I fume almost exclusively. You use so little - I have the tiniest piece of gold on my 8mm rod and that will fume about 10 pendants. I bought a 1.5g goldbar in Germany 4 years ago (at the time 69 Euro) and I fumed hundreds of pendants with it - - and I still got some of it. Silver is way cheaper still - I use a silver coin which cost about $10. So go for it - dont save your gold, use it!!!! In the picture you see my fuming rods - gold on the left - silver on the right. I attached the picture to show how much I use. Those rods are standard 8mm Simax and will fume 10-15 pendants. In the second pic you see whats left of my goldbar and silver coin after years of fuming. The 3rd pic shows my goldbar 3 years ago - and yes, it got smaller, but it is not lost. We make beautiful things out of it and we have fun!

Old 2013-10-08, 9:47pm
Artistically Absorbed

That is so incredibly crazy cool!!

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-10-10, 3:04am

Thank you for your comment, Onekura. It's cloudy around here these days and I took the picture by the fluorescent light over my torch head marver.
I would like to add one more picture taken under the same condition. I think this would also look better under the sun light. But anyway...
Attached Images