Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2017-06-28, 8:36am

Default How to revive dehydrated blue coat release

I left a jar of opened blue coat in a drawer for several months and it partially dried up. My attempt to revive it by dripping filtered tap water into it and stirring it seemed to have altered its function. It is not so smooth any more and tends to break very readily in the flame. It also requires several dips to get an good coating. Even a single fast dip would not result in a thick and even coat.

I was cautious about not putting too much water back and the mixing had to be done with a thick mandrel with plunging and lifting action as the particles had caked at the bottom of the jar. A few days later, I noticed a thin layer of brownish liquid at the surface. Again, I stirred everything back together.

Is tap water the wrong thing to use? Should it be some other solvent? Or is there some chemical change that happens as it dehydrates?
Old 2017-06-28, 9:45am

Depending on your tap water it could be an issue, yes. Different areas have different mineral contents. I've had luck using distilled water, but not with that particular bead release. I hope you find a solution, otherwise, invest in a new bottle - it sucks to lose your work because of broken release! Good Luck!
Old 2017-06-28, 12:34pm
Phill

If you have "softened water" or a "water softener" that uses salt then you have to be sure that you only use a reverse osmosis filtering system for 'filtered water' added to bead release.

Other types of filtering systems don't remove the salt well enough.

Or you can use 'distilled water' from the store.

Alot of other bottled water at the stores are just plain city water put into a bottle.

As a side note; when I store my bead release I put it away upside down.
That way the wet bead release keeps the seal of the lid wet and it doesn't dry out as fast.
Old 2017-06-29, 1:26pm
Millionaire in Training

I have the blue sludge too and I use water and rubbing alcohol to rehydrate it. Someone told me about using the rubbing alcohol. Also, my tap water is very hard. When I rehydrate it, it becomes kinda chunky and takes a while for it to smooth out. I've rehydrated that jar so many times I couldn't even say. Nearly every time I need to coat my mandrels, I have to rehydrate it as I live in Arizona - land of the super low humidity - so it is usually a dried up chunk when I open it. I can smell the alcohol in it when I open it up, so somehow the alcohol lasts. You might try alcohol.

Also, are you letting your mandrels dry long enough? If you coat them, you have to let them dry thoroughly,like for a few hours or put a fan on them. Also you mentioned dipping them several times to coat them. I've been told you should only dip once. I swirl mine in the center, so I swirl until they are completely coated. I was told by an instructor to never dip multiple times.

I even shake off the excess bead release back into the jar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-06-30, 12:53am
Phill

Do remember that bead release is a suspension and that over time it will settle out with the heavier stuff sinking to the bottom.

So even if it doesn't dry out on you you will still need to put something in the jar like the metal ball in a paint can and shake the dickens out of it to get the consistency back.

I put some of my worst beads in the bottle to help mix it up when I shake it.

Some folks use a bent mandrel in a hand drill to stir it up with but remember to shake it as well and maybe stand it on its head for a few days to get the heavy stuff off the bottom of the bottle.

Oh and, do remember to check that lid is on tight or you will wind up with all on the walls and in your hair.

Don't ask.
Old 2017-06-30, 6:40am
Dix Harrison

I keep a couple small fugly beads in my jar for rattle-mix purposes.

After having this same issue several times, I have started stretching a piece of plastic wrap over the jar top BEFORE screwing on the lid.

No more drying problems...so far.

Works like a charm.
Old 2017-06-30, 6:45am

Do any of you have issues with air bubbles in the clay when you shake it up that way?
Old 2017-06-30, 5:34pm
Millionaire in Training

Glad to know! I also mix mine with a spoon that is solely dedicated to the bead release. The chunks are so huge it's like globs of mud. Mine has been so dry there are cracks in it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-07-02, 5:08pm
Phill

4 small metal nuts or bolts will do as shaker / rattlers.

Tags
bead release