Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-05-13, 1:46pm
Lover of all things color

Default Bought the wrong hollow rod what do I do with it?

I admit that I bough some hollow boro rod that I thought would be much larger. Those darn mm get me again. So these thing are small and have a very small opening in the center. What can I do with them?

Can I use them like any other clear rod for encasing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-05-13, 2:05pm
Tonbodama Murrini maker

Use it for coil potting or as a blow pipe for making inside out beads. Or you could just send them to me

And for future order use this site to convert the mm to inches http://www.onlineconversion.com

And you can use this site for almost everything you want to convert. Temp, weight, length, volume etc.

Good luck.

Currently on a Knight Bullet and 2 oxycons and tanked oxy

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 2008-05-13, 3:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
I admit that I bough some hollow boro rod that I thought would be much larger. Those darn mm get me again. So these thing are small and have a very small opening in the center. What can I do with them?

Can I use them like any other clear rod for encasing?
How small are they?

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-05-13, 6:16pm
Borovangelist

What'd ya buy? I use 10mm when I want to use ornament caps on my ornaments, it's the perfect size for that little nubby, though I just prefer glass loops normally. I use 12mm fairly well encased to make actual ornaments, I just layer glass on the outside.

|
|
Old 2008-05-13, 6:32pm
Bliss Junkie

get a caliper as well... the digital ones do an easy switch from standard to metric

it all depends on the size... they can be useful...

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2008-05-13, 6:49pm

I bought the 10mm with 1.0mm wall. I had wanted something large enough to paint the inside with colored rods.
To say that I haven't a clue what I'm doing is an understatement of biblical proportios....LOL

I'm sure if I keep them long enought I will figure out something to do with them. I did get quite a deal.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-05-14, 7:21am

Maybe you could use them to encase colored rods?? Just slip a color inside and fire it up??

Old 2008-05-14, 7:38am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
I bought the 10mm with 1.0mm wall. I had wanted something large enough to paint the inside with colored rods.
To say that I haven't a clue what I'm doing is an understatement of biblical proportios....LOL

I'm sure if I keep them long enought I will figure out something to do with them. I did get quite a deal.
You could still paint on them with colored rods, just pull points, flare them out, paint the inside of the cup, and condense back into a beadform.

Now this sounds really easy...it is not. I got the wrong tubing too btw... I can put my entire arm in it....slightly too big lol.

Old 2008-05-14, 8:44am
ManBearPig

Quote:

I use those for handles and blowpipes all the time. I also use them to encase opals.

Old 2008-05-14, 9:15pm

You could probably make small implosions with it as well. Melt end closed (with a good sized gather), blow into a thick bubble, decorate the end half of hemisphere and implode.

Old 2008-05-15, 12:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAG View Post
Maybe you could use them to encase colored rods?? Just slip a color inside and fire it up??

Thanks that's a great idea, I think I could pull a stringer and get it in there.

Jan

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-05-15, 12:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoles View Post
You could probably make small implosions with it as well. Melt end closed (with a good sized gather), blow into a thick bubble, decorate the end half of hemisphere and implode.
Interesting, I understood you up to the decorating of the end of the bubble. After it's decorated do I press it into a maria to implode?

Also, the 'good size gather' part could be a problem I'm finding that the Lynx and oxy con just isn't quite hot enough for anything too large. However, it sure is worth a try.

I was wondering if I could just use the rods for encaseing. Whould the fact that they are hollow create more of the change of bubbles?

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-05-18, 2:00am

I use rods to encase. Just start at one end and work toward an open end so the air can escape.

Old 2014-10-30, 3:16pm
Loving learning

I know this is old, but it's all I could find on the subject. I have some shorts I bought, and one is a pretty transparent deep blue but hollow. Just regular rod size. I have no idea what to do with it, wondered if anyone had photos of their pieces using the hollow cane.
Old 2014-11-02, 5:49pm

Cool, never heard of that. Momka? Flame polish the ends and anneal. Presto -- long bead. If it's momka it might strike a little. Pics!
Old 2014-11-02, 6:05pm
Loving learning

I don't know what it is. I'll try to remember to find it & take a picture.
Old 2014-11-02, 8:33pm
hyperT

Default Hollow Rod?

I thought it was called tubing all these years. Case it with a light color or two for that matter, blow a bubble, flatten the end, cut it off the tube, let it cool then flare and flute the neck end or form a pitcher spout with a rope twist S curve handle LOL and you have a nice little bud vase. I used to blow the glass into a hex socket or a cerrated one for more effect. Seems like I could'nt make enough of these to sell. If you had heavy wall tubing or capillary tubing you could just nip them off then end of the tube whatever length you want and fire polish both ends for tube beads. I blow and stretch the glass to make tube beads this way and they can get pretty fancy. Here's a couple photos so you can see the effect.

Have fun, Wayne
Old 2014-11-02, 8:37pm
Loving learning

Can I do that with rod the same diameter as my 104?
Old 2014-11-02, 9:20pm
hyperT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Can I do that with rod the same diameter as my 104?
Sure why not?
Old 2014-11-03, 6:29am
Loving learning

The hole down the center is pretty small, and it is a short, but I'll give it a try.
Old 2014-11-05, 1:06pm
He can do the origami

HyperT your work and your photos of your work are very nice. Great tubing work on the torch.

Otter
Old 2014-11-06, 7:18am

Quote:

seems that you're looking to do some "iso" (inside out) work. for that i use 44mm heavywall....but then again when i'm going iso it's either a pipe or a marble.

for any iso work you'll want at least 1" tubing (25.4mm is one inch) and flare it out with a reamer.
Old 2014-11-09, 9:00am

Straws?

Old 2014-11-29, 9:46am
kinda torching....

Fyi, any 'hollow rod' is still called tubing. There is a kind of hollow rod in boro color tho, kinda like a vac stack, with a solid clear core, a ring of color, then a final layer of clear.