Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-10, 8:01pm
Formerly FishBulb

I also found that Moretti Bubble Gum Pink makes a great base (of all things!).

I was feeling frustrated on the torch awhile ago and my son suggested I make the ugliest stinkin' bead I could. I took some Psyche, which always seems to turn brown on me, and some Aura and Raku, made a twistie and laid it atop a base of Bubble Gum Pink, thinking it would all fume and turn brown and look like crap. Actually it makes a great base! When I get pics I'll post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-11-10, 9:30pm
Cat Winx

Angie... please do post pics!
I can't tell you how happy I was when I just read your post because I am sitting here looking at the only "impulse" buy in my latest glass order and guess what it happens to be? Why yes... Bubblegum Pink!

~Rachel
P.S. And I don't even like pink, normally! <grin>

Old 2010-11-10, 9:34pm
dances with ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
I was feeling frustrated on the torch awhile ago and my son suggested I make the ugliest stinkin' bead I could.
Angie, that is hilarious! And maybe a great strategy to keep in mind. Hmmm... Can't wait to see pics.

Old 2010-11-11, 7:59am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraconklin View Post
what is clockwork? and who makes fossil, sediment etc.? queen of the newbies, sara
Clockwork is made by Creation is Messy. Fossil and Sediment are made by Effetre. You can find both at Frantz.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-11-11, 11:20am

Who makes morracan swirl?

Old 2010-11-11, 8:24pm
geekitude on two wheels

morrocan swirl was an ASK color, not sure the equivalent Kugler 104 name... someone had a comparison chart some where
Old 2010-11-11, 10:34pm
dances with ideas...

I think it's no longer available?

Old 2010-11-12, 2:41pm
Looking for my waistline

Kugler 104 Light Beige is what the manufacturer calls the Morrocan Swirl, a name given to the color by the folks at Arrow Springs.

Here's the post that lists the color name conversions:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=106
Old 2010-11-12, 8:25pm
dances with ideas...

I had no idea. Thanks Char!

Old 2010-11-13, 8:12am
She's Back & Burnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
I also found that Moretti Bubble Gum Pink makes a great base (of all things!).
I was about to say the same thing.

Sara

Old 2010-11-28, 8:57am

What a great thread!!
Old 2010-11-29, 4:15pm

Fossil- both, Sediment, Sandstone - Moretti

Cinnamon Swirl is , I think, ASK, as is Moroccan.

Sangre - CiM

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2010-11-30, 4:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Lee View Post
I like CIM clockwork as a base too - very reactive!
Try transparent Zeus (TAG) on that Clockwork -- reduce then strike and the Zeus goes purple, with a dark reaction line where they meet.

Oh, and that is over a white core so the Clockwork looks more opaque.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid

Last edited by Firebrand Beads; 2010-11-30 at 4:47pm. Reason: add detail
Old 2010-12-01, 8:20am
Light My Torch

Default base for silver glass

here is a base using light pink. I will have to look and see which silver glass it was. The pink turned a tan color which is way cool.
Attached Images

Old 2010-12-01, 9:23am
Gimme that silver glass!

Jenny, is the bead encased or not? Great colors!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2010-12-03, 3:58pm

Hi Anouk - nope, no encasement. That is white Moretti, wrapped in CIM Clockwork, and then streaks of Zeus... that's it.
Zeus is unusual, it has no base color of it's own, but it is silvered. Silver in glass will generally transmit yellow light and bounce back blue light (my favorite take-away lesson from the Physics of Light and Color in college, lol.) So when you put Zeus on black the light has to bounce back - and you get blues. If you have a base that reflects color then it will change how that blue looks coming back at you; so Zeus looks green over purple, and purple over orange and red (I love it on Red Roof Tile.) But alone, Zeus reduces to a light amber. Kinda boring, but shimmery... I found a nice effect from using Zeus over white and then giving it the Dragon's Breath reduction to get a shiny metallic/oil slick amber. But Zeus over reds and oranges, or Rubino (which gives a nice apricot color) are tricks I learned from Renee Wiggins. She has found so many great things to do with Zeus.

I do think the yellow/blue properties of silver is the kind of info we need to have in mind when working these colors, tho. Your purple Montreux, for example, when reduced will look purple and metallic in some light, or look greenish when the light passes through it. A similar principle applies to gold - gold in glass passes pink and bounces gold. That's why there is gold in Rubino Oro, and why you can fume with gold to get nice pinks or fume heavier to get a gold finish.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-12-06, 8:22pm
Am I there yet ?

Wow-this is a GREAT thread especially for us newbies! I recently discovered effetre opal yellow for a base and I am really loving that.

Old 2010-12-29, 6:16pm
Angie09

OK ... there's a sale at Frantz and I need more color suggestions for base glass that will give me SILVER when used with Triton. I know you all have more suggestions .... keep em comin'!!
Old 2010-12-29, 6:34pm
Tweedle Dumb

Triton will go silver (with a blue undertone) all on its own, it just depends on how you reduce it. Try NOT reducing it, just waft it through a neutral flame once you are done shaping to bring up the silver.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-12-30, 11:04am

CIM Dirty Martini is good with silver glass

Old 2011-01-01, 6:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutycat View Post
@ sara - not many ppl use dh as a base, too pricey. This thread is about what kind of base beads work, so use any of the suggestions here & see what happens. Dh is very effective as stringer, in twisties, or cased over other color - no need to waste glass and money.

I accidentally confused DH psyche as black. I made a lot of beads with it and I was wondering how this really cool blue tint in places. Ummm. I thought the black was reacting to some silver I had put on the bead, which will happen sometimes. But the I realized I had used up all my psyche, lol! That'll teach me to label my rods. =/

Last edited by truegem; 2011-01-01 at 6:11pm.
Old 2011-01-01, 12:06pm
Fire n Sand Glass Art

Lisa. love you bead on black!

~
~
~
~
Old 2011-01-01, 6:16pm

So is everyone pretty much talking about part of the base color showing? Or encasing the whole thing with silver glass? I think there's a difference because with part of the base color showing, you may be talking about what the silver glass did to the base color, or, if the whole thing is encased then you are talking about what the base color did to the silver glass. Does that make sense?

Old 2011-01-01, 11:40pm

Recently tried White Lotus from Rocio, with the Precision Silvers and Iam crazy about it. The White Lotus does a cool fuming thing with the silver glasses and is EASY to work with!! (Top and bottom beads)

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2011-01-02, 5:39am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
So is everyone pretty much talking about part of the base color showing? Or encasing the whole thing with silver glass?
For me, I'd prefer to know what colors of glass are best to use for the base of a bead when using a silver color for stringers. Some make the silver color react better.
Old 2011-01-03, 1:07am
Flame On!

This post is the best!!!! Honestly exactly what I came scouting for!!! The trick for Fire Lotus made my night!!!! Fire Lotus goes but nuts with a base of turquoise for me, too. Dahli Llama over copper green is out of this world!!! It works very well for me with Luna from DH, also. I can't get Luna to do much of anything without copper green under it. Super Nova from Lauscha is crazy! I have only played with it briefly, but I used Triton and I have never seen it reduce so quickly or evenly before. Ox Blood from Lausha also does great things!!! I can't wait to go try the oranges!! I would have never thought.....!!!! Oh and for Sarah-- I buy the 2nds from Double helix, and they are marvelous and a good way to learn reduction, etc. Their 2nds have always worked as well as their 1st quality for me. I wish they'd sweep the floor and bag it and sell me 3rds or 4ths, lol!!! My first success with silver glass was a simple crappy scummy clear base bead and then I would wrap a few thick stringer rounds of Aurae on, melt it in and reduce. To me, the whole bead looked almost gold fumed and I felt so proud!!!!! I made and sold a LOT of those very simple beads!!!! A little silver glass goes a long way! Also, question about a red from Moretti. It's #441, Prismatic Red. Red Roof Tile is 440, and I don't have any of that. Those numbers are from Berlin Beads, btw, maybe they aren't correct here. Anyway, what am I supposed to do with this Prismatic Red? It acts like silver plum I guess. When I use it, it gets a funny almost devitrified look to it. I can't use silver plum, I think I burn it, I'm not sure. I really like the color of this red, both in the rod and while it's hot, but I keep ruining it. Anybody have any suggestions? Also, is silver plum and metalic black consider a "silver glass"?

Old 2011-01-03, 1:37am
Flame On!

Ok, my bad, way too excited! I don't know where I got sarah from? The suggestion was for who ever said they thought of using DH as a whole bead. Also, I always confuse Dahli Llama with Tibet. The copper green base works for me under Tibet. I'm so excited about finding the trick for Fire lotus I think I'm going to go turn my studio on at 3 am! I ruined almost a whole rod tonight trying to make it do something. I wish all reactive glass came with more detailed instructions. Not on just heating/cooling/reduction, but on exactly what this thread is about-- what colors to try to help it react, sort of like recipes. I'm sure it's my lack of ability, but I find a lot of the silver glass impossible to make react in an exciting way without assistance from a base color. Like the Tibet, all I got was ho-hum nothing, ambery brownish yuk, Then I read somewhere about copper green. It sings now, opera. Also, is Reichenbach multi-color considered a silver glass? If so, that one is easy enough to work solo. Geez, my hubby's gonna kill me, I'm off to try the orange...Ill just make one bead.....

Old 2011-01-03, 9:59pm
organically speaking

I like using silver glass over different transparents -especially lt.purple and ink blue. Really beautiful, ethereal reactions.

Old 2011-01-04, 9:05pm
dances with ideas...

Laurie, I love that look! Gorgeous!!

Old 2011-01-05, 12:34am
Cat Winx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainygrrl View Post
Laurie, I love that look! Gorgeous!!
Laurie.. I agree with Roberta 100%... those are truly gorgeous!!!

~Rachel