AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2008-08-22, 8:01am

Wow, Debbie, your petals are looking GREAT! My teen is encouraging me to walk, torch, anything but work on my computer, where he is neverwintering knights or some such. And the computer is where I write, so...I'll listen to you instead of him...but he's here in my ear just waiting to jump in my chair when I get up...Keep up the great work, and how's your Pinky doing on ebay? I'll go peek. ♥ Love, Helen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-22, 9:18am
formerly JewelsByJenny

Debbie those flowers are beautiful!!

Jenny

Old 2008-08-22, 1:04pm

I love your flowers, Jenny!
Old 2008-08-22, 1:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by helensharvest View Post
Wow, Debbie, your petals are looking GREAT! My teen is encouraging me to walk, torch, anything but work on my computer, where he is neverwintering knights or some such. And the computer is where I write, so...I'll listen to you instead of him...but he's here in my ear just waiting to jump in my chair when I get up...Keep up the great work, and how's your Pinky doing on ebay? I'll go peek. ♥ Love, Helen
thanks Helen!
How old is your son? Mine is 16 and I know exactly what you're talking about!!Tell him you have some desperate lampworkers in need of another ebook and for him to just think of all the cool games he can get when you start selling the next one!!!!

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2008-08-22, 1:28pm

He's 14, but his big brother was 16 when he was born, so he's grown up with 3 (instead of 2) adults his whole life, so he thinks he's a man. He wants me to get a new computer because he gets the hand me down computers. I told him I had to sell lots of ebooks to get another, heehee. Guess we had the same answer already. Does yours argue w/ everything you say? My first was compliant, straight A, reader, but this one is a firecracker, who lives to game. Sigh...I jut finished my Leaf and Beed stage beads for the book, Deb, so we'll see how long it takes. I'm guessing maybe 2 or 3 weeks...lots of details? ♥Love, Helen

Old 2008-08-22, 7:45pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
He's 14, but his big brother was 16 when he was born, so he's grown up with 3 (instead of 2) adults his whole life, so he thinks he's a man. ... My first was compliant, straight A, reader, but this one is a firecracker, who lives to game. ....
Amazing what a difference a generation makes, eh Helen? Technology has come so far, so fast in the past 20 years that all the gaming, computer stuff etc... wasn't even a distraction when your oldest was a teen.

There are some terrific flowers coming out of this tute! Just a matter of time before I take the plunge and buy mine, although I'm no where near advanced enough to attempt them yet.

Old 2008-08-22, 8:06pm

Well, thankyou, Lisa! These lampers are putting out some great flowers so soon, eh? They do me proud.
Did you used to sell swanky Swarovski jewelry on ebay? I remember you from somewhere in cyberland. ♥ Love, Helen

Old 2008-08-23, 10:04am

Quote:
He's 14, but his big brother was 16 when he was born, so he's grown up with 3 (instead of 2) adults his whole life, so he thinks he's a man. He wants me to get a new computer because he gets the hand me down computers. I told him I had to sell lots of ebooks to get another, heehee. Guess we had the same answer already. Does yours argue w/ everything you say? My first was compliant, straight A, reader, but this one is a firecracker, who lives to game. Sigh...I jut finished my Leaf and Beed stage beads for the book, Deb, so we'll see how long it takes. I'm guessing maybe 2 or 3 weeks...lots of details? ♥Love, Helen
Argue??? Why of course not, he's 16, he's knows everything and is always right!!! Oh and I have 4 girls, was so hoping raising a boy would be different. HA!! He can be just as moody as they were anyday!! AND his truck that he's had for 7 months has more "wrinkles" than I do and believe me I'm no spring chicken!!! LOL
OK two-three weeks?? Ok I can wait,... I guess!! lol
Thanks to everyone on all the nice comments on my beads, believe me it's Helen's help, I couldn't do this stuff before.
AND HOW COME I'M THE ONLY ONE PUTTING UP BEADS???????? That's wrong!! I feel like such a hog!!!!

Old 2008-08-23, 11:36am

I'll show one, Debbie! But it's not from THIS ebook, but a way in the future one, heehee. I love Blue Flow and Willow and all that Blue China. My mil has some that was her mother's, and I love to see it, hold it, eat her great pie on it. Anyway, here's a set I made yesterday inspired by a cup I saw on ebay. ♥ Love, Helen

Old 2008-08-25, 6:18am

At the suggestion of Tim Adams on etsy, I have started a monthly Lampwork Necklace giveaway to my enewsletter subscribers. I will print my list, cut it into strips and have my son pick one on the last day of each month for this year, at least. Please send me your name and email address to be included. I usually write weekly about my latest beads, and our greenhorn adjustment to country life....oooh, bugs? snakes? horses? ♥ Love, Helen

Old 2008-08-25, 7:11am

Quote:
At the suggestion of Tim Adams on etsy, I have started a monthly Lampwork Necklace giveaway to my enewsletter subscribers. I will print my list, cut it into strips and have my son pick one on the last day of each month for this year, at least. Please send me your name and email address to be included. I usually write weekly about my latest beads, and our greenhorn adjustment to country life....oooh, bugs? snakes? horses? ♥ Love, Helen
bugs? snakes? and horses?? awww Helen that's sissy stuff, where are the wild hogs? panthers? and mountain lions??? not to mention the little guys like coyotes, bobcats and foxes!! lol those are the little goodies we've had to adjust to. I had not actually seen the panthers or mountain lions but we've been told they're out here. Two weeks ago my husband was out running (my athelete) and had stopped on the road to talk to a neighbor that happened to be driving by. He looked down the road (where he would have been walking any minute) and there in the middle of the road was a huge mountain lion. It walked on across the road and disappeared into the brush. Needless to say, my neighbor brought him home.
I have enjoyed reading about your country adjustments. Goats are a good substitute for sheep. I got started with goats back when I was making goat milk soap, duh it just made sense at the time to get a couple goats. They're great little pets! Mine are dwarf nigerian and I'm down to 10, of the 10, 6 were bottle babies and they still think I'm Mommy. If I sit down near them one has to get in my lap. That's a lapfull, let me tell you!!
Ok I'm off to sign up for your list, although I thought I already had, must have dreamed it!!

Old 2008-08-25, 7:25am
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
Amazing what a difference a generation makes, eh Helen? Technology has come so far, so fast in the past 20 years that all the gaming, computer stuff etc... wasn't even a distraction when your oldest was a teen.

There are some terrific flowers coming out of this tute! Just a matter of time before I take the plunge and buy mine, although I'm no where near advanced enough to attempt them yet.
Lisa don't sell yourself short! Helen't tut is great and her 'after tut support' is unbeatable.

I have a BIG show this weekend - wish me luck everyone so I can pay off my CC that has all my tut charges on, and allow me to buy more! After this show I can play on the torch more and make some more flowers. I haven't sold one yet but I get told how beautiful they are and I'm planning on making a necklace or two out of them, hopefully to sell this weekend. I did trade one with Cosmo/Chad at Beadfest and got THE most incredible marble! I'll post more after I make more. In the meantime if anyone makes jewelry out of theirs please post pictures of it.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-08-25, 9:28am

Quote:
I'll show one, Debbie! But it's not from THIS ebook, but a way in the future one, heehee. I love Blue Flow and Willow and all that Blue China. My mil has some that was her mother's, and I love to see it, hold it, eat her great pie on it. Anyway, here's a set I made yesterday inspired by a cup I saw on ebay. ♥ Love, Helen

Those roses are just incredible!!!
I haven't gotten the nerve to list any of mine yet, well except for the charity auction, that was different. When I look at yours and then look at mine I feel like a kindergartner next to Michaelangelo!! LOL I know practice practice practice!!!! lol

Old 2008-08-25, 10:42am

Aw, Deb, don't despise the day of small beginnings, now. We have to start somewhere. I just wanted to show an example of how you can translate these techniques from china to a hot little rose bead in your hand. I LOVE seeing an idea realized into glass, don't you?

My husband has seen wild hogs and a wildcat, too. He didn't know if it was a bobcat or mountain lion...or swamp lion...couldn't resist...not even any hills here. I saw an eagle once.
We've heard of panthers, too, and I've seen the coyotes come out at dusk in our back woods. It's thrilling, but scary, too, and very much fun. I need to make some glass foxes, and coyotes. Funny how those prim flowers are getting wilder and more fauna than flora, this rural influence showing in my work, heehee. I have berries, black eyed susans and mushrooms in my yard today, with the Coreopsis in bud.

I need to learn about goats. Can you milk Neubian's? Do they have good feltable, spinnable wool, too? It's so hot here, I want to get compatable goats that won't eat everything. I think son would love them. Time to get back to work. Good day! ♥ Love, Helen

Old 2008-08-25, 4:53pm

I tried my torch at making a violet Friday or so and I will be trying again tonight. I have a flower book with pictures of real violets and I'm just having so much fun trying that I don't mind trying again, LOL if that makes sense.

Well, since I was young I heard that if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. I think it stuck!

Carol
Old 2008-08-25, 6:18pm

Can't wait to see them, Carol. I make White Violets every Winter because they bloom in my meadow yard. ♥ Love, Helen

Old 2008-08-25, 8:00pm

Helen,

Boy, do I live a sheltered life. I had no idea there was even such a thing as a white violet. How can they be called violet if they aren't purple? lol
Old 2008-08-26, 10:22am

Sure, Carol! I knew they were Violets by their botany, but I had to google them to make sure. They have a tiny Purple blotch, and are native to the parish (county) north of ours. They are my only Winter flower and quite delightfully welcome, when flowers are so sparce. I bought some Pineapple Sage last Spring and hope it flowers for Winter, too. That's the only ones I remember. ♥ Love, Helen, who made glass berries yesterday

Old 2008-08-27, 5:24pm

Default Violet set

Ok, Helen, you asked for it. Here's my Violet set.
Attached Images

Old 2008-08-27, 5:47pm

Beautiful, Carol! I love the way you used different glasses for your Leaves, and your Buds look great, too! I'm one proud MawMaw! ♥ Love, Helen

Old 2008-08-27, 6:29pm

OH WOW Carol you did a beautiful job!!! And you do BUDS!!! I'm so jealous I do really bad buds!!! lol

Old 2008-08-27, 8:14pm

Thank you, guys! i appreciate your compliments so much.

And these flowers truly are addicting.

Sometimes I want to go to the flower shop and buy real flowers like you have, Helen but all I have is a book with pictures or google, lol.
Old 2008-08-27, 8:30pm

Grocery stores have great flowers from Holland and France, and I encourage you to grow your models, Sweety. There's nothing more fun than planting zinnia seeds, cutting them for bouquets, bringing them into your studio and immortalizing them in glass. ♥ Love, Helen

Old 2008-08-28, 8:24am

You mean an indoor greenhouse or something? In Ohio, where I am, we get 3 warm months and the last few years it's only been warm 3 days in the summer, lol.

Not good for swimming!
Old 2008-08-28, 8:32am

Aw, come on, Carol...they do it in Canada and Alaska. Inside every artist is a gardener. Off to town to play music.♫ ♪ ♥ Love, Helen

Old 2008-08-28, 9:01am

They do what, Helen, a greenhouse or outdoor garden, come on, help me out here. I need to know where to start my garden.

I have indoor plants, Moses in a basket, spider plants and lots of spider plants. I did have a rubber plant and one other plant I killed with overwatering.

Guess I'll google it.
Old 2008-08-28, 10:15am

I suggest, Gardening Carol, that you build a 4' square raised bed in the sun protected from North wind, and fill it with organic compost you buy at a garden place. Start w/ any small flower plants, herbs, but get a few seeds, too. Radishes, lettuce are quick and make cute edging. Water them daily or so, and cover them when with plastic when frost comes and you have a great start, a mini greenhouse that should work....and don't forget the Pansies, come Spring. They're Winter flowers here, but probably Spring there. ♥

Old 2008-08-28, 11:39am

Thank you kindly, Helen,
I've always wanted to plant my own herbs, here's my chance!
I'm sorry, I just had no clue.
Carol
Old 2008-08-28, 11:42am

Play music? You mean among all your other God-given talents you play instruments, too?
Old 2008-08-29, 7:26am

Heehee, only fiddle. You ought to learn, too. The ambidexterity us lampworkers develop is conducive to playing instruments. It's truly so much easier. Go for it, my glass gardener, organic gardener and musical Friend! ♥ Love, Helen