No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-10-26, 5:34pm
The Spacer Queen

Default "Handpulled" Colors??

With the Moretti handpulled colors, what does the "handpulled" mean? Aren't they ALL handpulled? Or is it just an excuse to charge more? LOL I'm not serious there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-10-26, 7:36pm

No, the cheaper color are machine made. I heard sage is one of the hand pulled that's going to come down in price because they're moving it to the machine ??? And I'm probably handing out misinformation but what the hey. You get what you pay for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-10-26, 7:38pm
sunscreen me baby

What happens if you trip when handpulling?

~

Old 2007-10-26, 7:49pm
Looking for my waistline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
What happens if you trip when handpulling?
You fall and bust your glass...
Old 2007-10-26, 7:50pm
sunscreen me baby

lol! I was thinking you get "fired"

~

sunscreen me baby

or at the very least ruin your favorite t-shirt....

~

all for the love of glass

Chuckie

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2007-10-26, 8:08pm
Looking for my waistline

Not only are the handpulled colors actually pulled out into rods by hand, they are also made in smaller batches. It still costs the same amount of money to run the furnace that it's made in, plus it costs a bit more in manpower to pull the glass. Even though some of the previously handpulled colors are now made by machine, they will remain a higher priced glass until they're made in larger quantities.

The cost of the colorants will affect the price, too. Rubino and the darker pinks are always going to cost more no matter how they're made.
Old 2007-10-26, 8:31pm

I saw a video of a couple of men pulling Rods. They are like a shed long. So that is a long way. it is like stringer only larger in diameter and lon ger in length. I think it is just to cool.

Rose Leslie
Old 2007-10-27, 6:51am
The Spacer Queen

Wow, thanks for the info. I've only ever seen video of two people pulling the rods, and I didn't know it could actually be done by machine. Anyone seen a video of that?

Old 2007-10-27, 8:06am
Looking for my waistline

If you do a search for a vitrograph kiln, you'll see how the glass is formed. Basically, the glass is melted in a crucible with a hole at the base. The hot glass flows through the hole and cools as it drips out. The rod is basically the width of the hole. A moving conveyor belt pulls the soft glass away and out from under the hole. At that point, the glass is still hot enough to be flexible, so it falls straight down, then curves as the conveyor pulls it away. It hardens into a straight rod after it's laying flat on the conveyor belt.

If my computer wasn't acting flakey, I'd find you a link.
Old 2007-10-27, 8:14am

Thanks chuckie! That's just cool. I wondered how it was done but was too lazy to go looking for the info.

Old 2007-10-27, 8:14am
Boro Brat

Suzy, judging from the shapes of some of those rods, they trip, do cartwheels, and occasionally jumping jacks as well...all blindfolded, mind you :rollseyes:

Old 2007-10-27, 8:18am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipyr View Post
Suzy, judging from the shapes of some of those rods, they trip, do cartwheels, and occasionally jumping jacks as well...all blindfolded, mind you :rollseyes:
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

nagi

Old 2007-10-27, 8:22am
Mr Brutus RIP

wow, cool info. I was wondering about the same thing, thanks!
sue

Old 2007-10-27, 6:58pm
The Spacer Queen

How cool! Thanks!

So why aren't all colors made that same way? (This might be an obvious question, but I'd love to hear the correct answer.)

Old 2007-10-27, 7:03pm

It was all was once handpulled and over time they have begun to mechanize. I think the goal is to get a lot of the colors switched over.

No clue when or a time schedule but I think I saw something about some of the colors in a list from probably Mike since he's pretty much the main importer to the US.
Old 2007-10-27, 8:30pm
Looking for my waistline

I'm assuming the only colors that are made by machine are the ones made in large enough batches to justify the cost of the machinery. If you only have space in your factory for X number of machines and the machines are busy manufacturing orders for the colors in the regular color line, then they have to hand pull the colors that aren't in as big a demand. A lot of the colors we see over here are colors made specifically for the American market.
Old 2007-10-28, 4:52am
The Spacer Queen

I can't believe that I didn't know about this before. There sure are a lot of hits on a vitrograph search! Thank you, everybody.