Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2012-03-03, 6:28pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Sheri, Cheryl, Debbie, they are so FABULOUS!!

Cheryl, 186 beads? WOOO HOOOOOOOO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-03-03, 6:44pm
Loving learning

Oh wow Debbie, I love those!
Old 2012-03-04, 6:42pm
Lampworkaholic!

OK, here are my first 20. I was hoping to post pix of 20 every Friday this month, just a couple of days late this time.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Attached Images

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-03-04, 7:11pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Those are awesome!!! Go Elizabeth!!

Old 2012-03-06, 12:02pm
Loving learning

Elizabeth, those are great!

Here are my 1st 20 for the challenge, and I'm trying to keep them good sized to help with the current need (see quarter for size). I've got a few toward the next group in another bowl.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-03-06, 12:35pm
Lampworkaholic!

Nice Eileen. The rainbow and clouds bead is adorable!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-03-06, 1:23pm
Loving learning

That was inspired by GlowBeads, thanks.
I made the longest twistie of fairly regular size I've ever done making a rainbow twistie for the BOC beads after I'd seen hers, I was thrilled!
Old 2012-03-07, 9:53am

I finally got mine photographed. Each group has 20 beads in it for a total of 100. Hopefully I'll have more by the deadline.

Thanks for doing this Debbie. For us it is only minutes of our time to make a bead, but for them it means so much more!

Old 2012-03-07, 10:33am
I think I could be a bead

Diane, those are all amazing beads! Lucky kids who receive them!

Old 2012-03-07, 10:46am
Loving learning

Awesome Diane!
Old 2012-03-07, 11:43am

Wow what amazing beads you are all making! Fabulous!
Old 2012-03-07, 11:54am

I have about 80 Acts of Courage sized beads to send plus about 50 smaller ones in my bowl. I want to send in a hundred AOC beads. I'll show more later.

Old 2012-03-07, 12:28pm

Wow, Diane, those animal print beads are spectacular. And I love those fish and starfish beads!

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-03-07, 1:00pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

OMG Eileen I love that spiderman bead!!

Mallory you are rocking it! I am doing skulls too, aren't they fun?

Diane? WOW!!!!

My husband and I watched the CBS blurb on BOC this morning and both of us were wiping tears. I shook my bowl of AOC beads that I am adding to and said "This is a part of that."

Old 2012-03-07, 1:44pm

Who knew little pieces of glass could have such a huge impact on the lives of these children! Sometimes I feel a little guilty that I have as much fun as I do making my beads, but then I think about all of my positive energy flowing into the beads and I realize that it's a good thing we love what we do so much. When the kids get our beads, they feel it too. I know I feel great just seeing all of the beautiful beads here.

I am loving this thread! I have so many ideas that I can't wait to get back to my studio.

Old 2012-03-07, 2:26pm

Here's the link to the BoC segment on CBS:
Old 2012-03-07, 4:03pm

I'm crying after seeing that segment. It becomes to real and it's wonderful to know that somewhere a child might have our beads and smile.

Old 2012-03-07, 4:43pm
Lampworkaholic!

20 more plus 3 purple hearts. I''m working on fish, owls and turtles for the next round.
Attached Images

Old 2012-03-07, 8:15pm
Loving learning

Mallory those are great!
Debbie, thank you! People keep commenting on that one, so hopefully it will make a child smile too.
Elizabeth those are great, and can't wait to see your critters.
Old 2012-03-08, 4:37am
Evil Glass Enabler

I absolutely love the purple, turquoise, fushsia, and black tube with the metallic black ends but all the beads rock!
Angelique

Quote:
I have a cool whip "bowl" of beads that will be going. I see a couple in there that need to come out before sending in though. I will be counting them soon. Just thought I'd post the picture now.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2012-03-08, 4:43am

Diane may I ask what you used for that purple heart bead? Love the color. Great job everyone!
Old 2012-03-08, 9:33am

Hi Caroline, Sure thing. It is made on a base of Uroboros Cotton Candy, rolled in African Violet frit from Val Cox, then gravity swirled before I cased it in clear. You can also use a white base, but the Cotton Sandy is prettier. I published a tutorial for that exact bead in the Feb. Soda Lime Times which is now available as a back issue. Those purple hearts are so purple! I love the combination of the glass and frit together and I've lost count of how many of that design I've made for BOC.

BTW, Beadgoodies also makes a good purple that is very similar. It is called Timeless Purple.

Good luck!

Old 2012-03-08, 1:34pm
Loving learning

I forgot to te4ll you I just LOVE the puffer fish!
Old 2012-03-08, 10:41pm

Thanks Diane!
Old 2012-03-09, 10:54pm

Everyone's beads are so nice! The last child's comment from the CBS BOC segment -- "Beads of Life". Wow, that made me cry, and really brought home how meaningful the beads are to the children. I'll definitely be more involved with BOC. Now that my first batch has been mailed, I'll start working on more for the next time.
Cheryl
Old 2012-03-15, 5:48am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I haven't been able to torch in days. I am itching to make moreeeeeee

Old 2012-03-15, 7:33am
Lampworkaholic!

Round 3, beads 41-60.
Attached Images

Old 2012-03-21, 7:19am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I am up to 40 beads myself to send in! Pics tonight I hope!

And AWESOME News!! MGA has kindly offered to match my GC. So I will be giving away two $50 GC.

Come on guys! Lets flood them with beads!

Old 2012-03-21, 7:22am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Elizabeth, the turtles are too adorable!!!

I am loving the florals too.

I am using my BOC month to really push my thoughts and try new things. I made some really cool BIG boro rounds with big punched dots that turned out really cool. I am enjoying knowing that while it may not be showcase worthy, some child will see something magic in it.

Old 2012-03-23, 7:32pm
Lampworkaholic!

I'm pushing a little but I am determined to get to 100. I have (almost) my next 20 ready to photograph, that will make 80 and then I have a week to make the last 20.

I'm having arm and hand issues that are making it hard to torch and harder to type and take pictures and edit them, etc. But I will get it done. It's nothing to what those kids go through.