Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-22, 1:45pm
aka Bastille Bleu

Smile "Moonstone" (milky-opal) glass????

Hi!

Does anyone know if Moretti (Effrette) or the other COE104 glasses make a moonstone type of glass? Ive had a love affair with moonstones for as long as I can remember.... you know, the ones that are milky-opal (opalite?) appearance with beautiful electric blue hues! <sigh!>

If there IS a glass out there, I would love to get my hands on some. Then I could stop buying them .... and make my own!

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 2008-02-22, 1:48pm
I need more boro stuff

CIM cirrus?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-02-22, 2:09pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

I would say that too.
Encase Dichro with cirrus?

Old 2008-02-22, 2:25pm
aka Bastille Bleu

Yay! Thanks! Im going to put that on my list for my next glass purchase, and try it out!!!
Old 2008-02-22, 2:28pm

Yep, Cirris is one cool glass.

Old 2008-02-22, 3:10pm
sorcerer

Interesting that none of mention Vetrofont "silk" I have been using this and it is a great glass more reliable than the Chinese stuff.
B
Old 2008-02-22, 3:13pm
<--- Time traveler

There's a French 104 glass called Moonstone that was available from Glasscraft a while back. It came in green, blue and pink. The pink was VERY light and was the only one that really had a moonstone look to it. You might see if you can find some. There are also a couple of Uroboros (96) colors that have a moonstone or opalescent look to them.
Old 2008-02-22, 3:20pm

Actually, I have been testing a glass here at Trautman Art Glass that could fit the bill. It is a reactive silvered glass, looks translucent grey in the rod, and with high heat cycles can produce patches of iridescent greens and pale blues. Opalescent to Labradorite? I am trying to get a shot of it that shows up as well as the stuff looks under a halogen, but am doing a dozen jobs around here and haven't gotten that up on our site yet (www.taglass.com). There are quarter-pounds of it in the "104 Box O Mystery" but I can also sell it alone as an "Odd Lot." We have a $100 minimum order on the site, however. I did send a rod of one of the grey batches to Paula D at FlameDame.com, just to see what she thinks. If she wants to order some for the store, you could get smaller lots from her... but I don't know if she liked it or not! She's a *very* busy gal.
I will try to get a shot or two up in the next day or two... but I'm prepping to teach a class this weekend at the Eugene Glass School on all the Trautman reactives (two slots still open) and a feeling stretched a bit thin today. That must be why I am stalling by looking at the forum, eh?? ;-> ~Jenny @ TAG
Old 2008-02-22, 6:32pm
Life is change. Love it

Oh yay, I just ordered my Mystery Box!! Can't wait to try this I love opals!

Old 2008-02-22, 7:17pm
Crazy Snake Lady

CIM also made Halong Bay and Peacock Green as a substitute for the French moonstone glass. http://www.flamekissedglass.com/cata...=3&category=12
Old 2008-02-22, 8:08pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway View Post
Interesting that none of mention Vetrofont "silk" I have been using this and it is a great glass more reliable than the Chinese stuff.
B
I use vetro silk but OP wants the one with blue hues...

Old 2008-02-22, 9:36pm
aka Bastille Bleu

Smile

I remember seeing the Halong when I was cruising CIM's site for Cirrus. I'd love to see what it would look like when both are used/mixed in a bead.... I bet its gorgeous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lldesigns View Post
CIM also made Halong Bay and Peacock Green as a substitute for the French moonstone glass. http://www.flamekissedglass.com/cata...=3&category=12
Old 2008-02-22, 9:38pm
aka Bastille Bleu

Wink

Thanks! I have to keep my eye out for some of that French 104 glass. Sounds really pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
There's a French 104 glass called Moonstone that was available from Glasscraft a while back. It came in green, blue and pink. The pink was VERY light and was the only one that really had a moonstone look to it. You might see if you can find some. There are also a couple of Uroboros (96) colors that have a moonstone or opalescent look to them.
Old 2008-02-22, 9:40pm
aka Bastille Bleu

Speaking of CIM....

I thought I read somewhere (short attention span!) that the Halong, Peacock and Sirrus rods were kind of difficult to work with/strike? Can someone like me with a HH work those successfully?
Old 2008-02-22, 9:53pm
Glass-aholic

I love cirrus on my HH! I thought it was easy, I did not do anything special.... just worked normal.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-02-22, 11:08pm
Ad astra per aspera

Try pale blue dichro with Cirrus. Awesome!

Then, if you want to go the labradorite route, since you have the blue dichro, try it with transparent gray Effetre. Etch it really lightly to make it pop!

Old 2008-02-22, 11:17pm
aka Bastille Bleu

Cool

Ooooh purrrrrrrrrrty! Thanks for the tip! Im definitely going to try that next time I order more glass. I just wish I would have thought to ask about the moonstone *before* I went on my monthly shopping spree earlier today. but it will have to wait until next month.

Jaci: thanks for the info about working Cirrus with a HH! Glad to know before I attempt to buy some next month. tehe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
Try pale blue dichro with Cirrus. Awesome!

Then, if you want to go the labradorite route, since you have the blue dichro, try it with transparent gray Effetre. Etch it really lightly to make it pop!