Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-10-26, 7:56am

Default nikon 4300 settings

anyone using this camera, and what setting do u set it at?
i think ive tried every one and still not sure, i ready a tutorial on here and they had white balance setting on "incadesent", its very blue on mine its horrid
please help, also what setting for iso and all the rest of it?

WEBSITE--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BLOG--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angie x
Old 2007-10-26, 10:21am
Missing presumed fed

I don't have the 4300. I used a Nikon 995 for a while (now using a Fuji, but that's not because there was anything bad about the Nikon.) What white balance setting you should use depends on the lighting you're using. My totally non-expert advice would be to use the white balance preset function. It wasn't hard to do on the 995 (and isn't hard on my Fuji), so I doubt it will be hard to do on the 4300. I found the 4300 manual on line and took a look at it, and it's basically the same. You need a totally white object (a white card or white piece of paper.) When you're setting up to take your bead picture, and have your lights on, hold the white card so that it completely fills the square in the center of the camera viewer, then click on "measure." You're teaching the camera that under these lighting conditions, this is what pure white looks like. Theoretically, at least, your photos shouldn't have a color cast as long as they're taken under that same lighting. Read your manual carefully to see whether the camera holds that white balance until you change it, or whether you need to reset it. The Fuji I'm using now will remember the custom white balance, but I need to tell the camera to use the custom white balance before each shot or it reverts to the automatic. I didn't read enough of the 4300 manual to see what it does.

When you're holding up the white card to set the white balance, try to hold it pretty much where your bead is going to be when you take your pictures.

You may still need to tweak your pictures on the computer. There are a few tutorials here on using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to correct color and other aspects of pictures. You might even be able to fix the ones you've already taken satisfactorily. I'm not good enough with Photoshop to give you tips on doing it, though, but check out the tutorials.

If you're using incandescent lights and you set the camera's white balance for incandescent, it's supposed to correct for the color that incandescent lights give to the picture. It never seems to work as well as it should, though. Are you using incandescent lights, or are you using daylight bulbs? If your pictures are coming out blue, it sounds like maybe the camera is over-correcting. Incandescent bulbs make things yellow, so the camera setting would try to correct that by making the image less yellow and more blue. Daylight bulbs are supposed to be a natural sunlight color.
Old 2007-10-26, 10:47am

Emily thanks for replying, ok i have the daylight bulbs ya know the trumpet swirly type ones, so which seeting should i be using for this lighting?

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2007-10-26, 10:54am
Sorry for party rockin'

Hey Angie - I have a 4300 and have my white balance set to auto. I use really bright GE photo floodlamps (the blue bulbs). Try using auto and see what happens

Old 2007-10-26, 11:20am

Hya Ginny, i bought the camera because you said it was good....u remember?
love the camera but i just cant seem to get the pics right, sometimes there "ok" but i know i can get them better, but its all the settings and getting them right.
Ok will take some pics using auto

shall i post some pics for u to compare?

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2007-10-26, 11:30am

[quote=Emily;1449882] When you're setting up to take your bead picture, and have your lights on, hold the white card so that it completely fills the square in the center of the camera viewer, then click on "measure." You're teaching the camera that under these lighting conditions, this is what pure white looks like. (QUOTE]

Emily this worked fantasticly!!!
many thanks for that

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2007-10-26, 11:45am

Heres a pic i used the white balance preset on the left
then edited in photoshop using the white point, but the white point always goes wayyy to white
any more tips or advice on these pics??

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x

Last edited by angie; 2007-10-26 at 11:46am. Reason: forgot to add pic lol
Old 2007-10-26, 12:03pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Hey Angie .. . . I'm wondering if you just don't have enough light. It doesn't make sense that your pictures on the left are so dark. I use floodlights and they're BRIGHT. I've found, at least for me, that more light is better.

Hold on a second and I'll do a before and after to show you what my original photos look like.

Old 2007-10-26, 12:12pm

Ginny this is my set up:

i found the set up here http://artbeadscene.blogspot.com/200...beads-and.html

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2007-10-26, 12:14pm
Sorry for party rockin'

OK, here's an original, untouched photo. The only thing I did was resize so I could post:

And here's my photo after a little bit of sharpening and lightening with a photo editor.

There's not that much difference, which is why I'm wondering whether or not you're using bright enough lights. I struggled at first too until I figured out that bright lights really do help. I use the auto settings on my camera, macro turned on (little flower), and that's about it.

The bulbs I use are GE 115-120V Photoflood lights . . . they're blue, the part number is EBW No 2. Could you find some of these where you are??

EDIT: OK, I think I've tried those swirlie bulbs too and didn't like them. I think the key is LIGHT for you

Old 2007-10-26, 12:23pm

wow great pics!!
ok i went into image adjustments and lightened it is thias any better?

will have a look at them bulbs, are they screw in type same as the swirly ones?

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2007-10-26, 2:03pm
Missing presumed fed

I use the daylight bulbs, and I always have to lighten, too. I think you might have lightened a little bit too much in your latest picture. I liked the earlier ones better, but as I said, I'm far from being an expert in this. I'm groping my way, too.

The daylight bulbs are meant to simulate sunlight, so if you're not using the custom white balance feature (the thing with the white card), set your camera for sunlight. If your camera gives you an option to lighten your pictures (like being outside on a not very sunny day, maybe?) you could try that setting.

Lightening your pictures on the computer is a couple of clicks. You could buy bigger bulbs, or you could just do that quick edit on your pictures.

Before you buy different bulbs, you might want to check to make sure they'll fit in your reflectors, too. If they're wide, they might not fit.
Old 2007-10-26, 3:27pm

Emily ive been messing about with everything now on camera and my pics are certainly looking alot better, even more so with the preset white balance!
love ya
ive also ordered a new bulb, the one i was using the trumpet 30w 5500k they say its equivalent to 150w, so i bought an 85w which is equivalant to 400w!

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x