Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-18, 8:29am

Default Tip for cleaning beaded keys

Some of you who are smarter than me (lol) have probably already figured this out but I thought I'd share a tip that has really saved me time. I make and sell a lot of beaded keys. I like to have the keys move around the shank of the key so I double coat the key with release before I make the bead.

I used to spend a lot of time both cleaning all of that release off the keys and getting the keys loose so that they moved. I tried dremel cleaning, lightly hammering the beads to loosen them and cursed a lot!

Then it dawned on me to try throwing them in the tumbler with steel shot and a couple of drops of soap. Brilliant!! They not only come out crystal clean but the beads loosen from the key while they are tumbling. All I do is dump the contents of the tumbler (be careful because it's messy with all the soap and release) into a kitchen strainer and rinse thoroughly.

One more quick note...I tumble for about an hour then check the keys. Be careful not to leave them tumbling for too long or the release washing around in there will start to etch the beads. I had a batch I left too long come out not as shiny as they went in. Hope this helps!
Old 2010-11-18, 8:40am
Lampworkaholic!

What a great suggestion. I quit using bead release on my keys because cleanup was such a beyotch and just made the beads fixed in place.

Now all I need is a tumber. Maybe Santa will put one under the tree.

(Actually, I do paint a ring of bead release on the key but I cover it up with glass - a little cushion in case the key expands or contracts based on temperature. )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2010-11-21 at 7:27am.
Old 2010-11-18, 10:11am

I got mine from Harbor Freight and it was not expensive at all. I have been using mine for a couple of years and it works great!
Old 2010-11-18, 4:41pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

You're a life saver Mary! I have three keys that I've had soaking for a couple of days and I've been dreading cleaning them. I'm going to put them in the tumbler tonight!

I also have tumbler from Harbor Freight and it's great!

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-18, 6:02pm

Oh I'm so glad Kathy! I almost didn't post because I wasn't sure if it would be that helpful to others, but it's been a real timesaver for me.
Old 2010-11-20, 8:20pm
Bad Cat Glass

I hate to be so clueless, but are you talking about a rock tumbler? I looked at the Harbor Freight website and they have one for about $50, but they also have a larger "vibrating metal tumbler." It's more expensive and looks a bit more complicated. Are you using the less expensive one?
Old 2010-11-20, 9:58pm
Critter Mom

This is great information. I made my first and only bead on a key a few weeks back and couldn't get it loosened. I figured I'd done something wrong...probably needed an additional layer of bead release, so I broke the bead to start over.

I'm going to get some shot and next time I'm going to toss it in my tumbler

Thanks for the info.

Old 2010-11-21, 6:09am
Powers Art Studio

Great tip, thanks! I always put release on my keys. It seems when I try to put it just on the shank with no release that the bead always cracks.
Andrea

Old 2010-11-21, 3:02pm

So glad it's helping. The tumbler I have cost around $30 and is the one with two barrels that fit together end to end so you could use them at the same time if you wanted to. The barrel turns in the tumbler. Hope that helps!

ETA-The tumbler on this page with two barrels is the one I have and unfortunately it has gone up in price. The 31.95 version should work just as well.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ory=&q=tumbler

Last edited by mnoelker; 2010-11-21 at 6:18pm.
Old 2010-11-22, 8:34am
Glass-aholic

hey mary what size shot are you using??

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-11-22, 8:43am
Nikki Haverstock

And where are good places to get shot?
Old 2010-11-22, 5:05pm

Hey guys-I'm using the standard jewelry shot that I got from Rio Grande. Here's a link that came up during a Google search that has a much better price, BUT I am not endorsing this company because I'm not familiar with them. It's a great price so maybe someone else can chime in that knows about them. Otherwise just do a search for stainless steel jewelry shot and you'll find lots of options.

http://mamasminerals.com/products/St...y-Mixture.html
Old 2010-11-22, 5:42pm
Happiness is....

Connie Fox sells shot, http://conniefox.com/

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2010-11-22, 8:09pm

Thanks Kris!
Old 2010-11-22, 10:50pm
Glass-aholic

thanks

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-07-29, 11:06am
Flamin' Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoelker View Post
Some of you who are smarter than me (lol) have probably already figured this out but I thought I'd share a tip that has really saved me time. I make and sell a lot of beaded keys. I like to have

Then it dawned on me to try throwing them in the tumbler with steel shot and a couple of drops of soap. Brilliant!! They not only come out crystal clean but the beads loosen from the key while they are tumbling. All I do is dump the contents of the tumbler (be careful because it's messy with all the soap and release) into a kitchen strainer and rinse thoroughly.

One more quick note...I tumble for about an hour then check the keys. Be careful not to leave them tumbling for too long or the release washing around in there will start to etch the beads. I had a batch I left too long come out not as shiny as they went in. Hope this helps!
I just purchased a used double barrel tumbler (woohoo) from craigslist. It's been years since I tumbled rocks, so I'm feeling around in the dark a bit with this new equipment.

Do you also add the grit to the shot, or just shot? If so, what grind?
Thanks.

#T48
Old 2011-07-29, 11:19am
Lampworkaholic!

No grit. It will etch the beads. I use shot alone, no soap.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-07-29, 11:23am
Flamin' Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
No grit. It will etch the beads. I use shot alone, no soap.
Do you put in water?

Also, I'm looking to clean my keys before putting hot glass on...some are quite rusty or oily.

#T48
Old 2011-07-29, 12:02pm

I was just in Harbor Freight the other day and they have a single barrel tumbler for $39.99
Old 2011-07-29, 12:07pm
Uh Oh....

I tumble my keys beforehand. I use stainless steel shot and water, along with a squirt of dishwashing soap. They come out nice and clean. The only problem is some of my shot goes into the barrels of the keys and I have to bang the pieces out by hitting the keys on the side of the sink. Probably not the best idea but it works.

Sometimes my shot isn't clean after so I will tumble just my shot with water and soap and it comes out all shiny.

Old 2011-07-29, 12:19pm
Hobby Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Lady View Post
I just purchased a used double barrel tumbler (woohoo) from craigslist. It's been years since I tumbled rocks, so I'm feeling around in the dark a bit with this new equipment.

Do you also add the grit to the shot, or just shot? If so, what grind?
Thanks.
Adding grit etches your beads, yes. But it creates a beautiful "beach glass" look.

Old 2011-07-29, 2:37pm

I don't clean my keys first but they get cleaned pretty well when I tumble them, and I like them to look old and weathered. I put the shot in the tumbler, fill with water to just cover the shot, add a drop or two of soap and tumble.
Old 2011-07-29, 4:03pm
Lampworkaholic!

Yes, sorry, shot and water. And I tumble them after I make the beads on them.

Old 2011-07-29, 7:06pm
Flamin' Redhead

Thanks everyone for all of your help! I could only find steel BB's locally today, so I'm using it to clean the keys until I can receive an internet order. These keys are sooooo rusty!

#T48
Old 2011-07-29, 7:16pm

Try mixing some white vinegar in with the water. Works for me!

Barbara

Barbara
Old 2011-07-31, 1:46pm

I know that when I do fusing I use CLR (Lime & Rust remover) to get leftover kiln wash off my glass. It might help to soak the beads with that. Also, do these beads get annealed?

Thanks
Chris S.
Old 2011-07-31, 2:05pm
Flamin' Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimi115 View Post
I know that when I do fusing I use CLR (Lime & Rust remover) to get leftover kiln wash off my glass. It might help to soak the beads with that. Also, do these beads get annealed?

Thanks
Chris S.
Chris, I've used LimeAway, pretty much same as CLR. And yes, I anneal all beads that I make!

#T48
Old 2011-07-31, 4:31pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Mary, I saw pics of your keys and bobbins in the gallery, they are gorgeous.
Thanks for posting this, too.
I got a tumbler but have been too "shy" to use it. This thread helps build confidence!

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-08-01, 6:05am

Thanks Rowyn! Tumbling is super easy. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 2011-09-04, 1:56pm
Queen Bee

Question: I did this and tumbled my keys with stainless steel shot. Now my shot is the color of gun metal, not shiney. Have I ruined or contaminated the shot? I'm afraid to use it with sterling now

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry