Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-07, 10:22am
...as in.. acoustic

Thumbs up !!! your MUST-HAVE colors... !!!

I know everyone has their favorites...

What are the top 3 colors you absolutely cannot live without?
(or top 5)... (ok, top 10).

Name the ones that you:

1) Use the most,

or
2) Can't live (happily) without.

Also - - Can you please put the BRAND NAME (unless it's obvious like effetre or something...) *Thanks cuz I'm not familiar with most of these yet!

And WHY you love them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by akustik; 2009-09-07 at 12:31pm. Reason: addition...
Old 2009-09-07, 10:50am
And silence is golden

I have alot of favorites, but the toppers of the list would be:

Ivory, both dark and light
Cobalt T
Electric Yellow
CiM Halong Bay
CiM Peacock
Periwinkle
Raku
Clear
Black
Dark Teal
Dark Aquamarine
Petroleum Green
--------------------------------------------------
So much glass, so little time! I see a pattern in my choices. It appears that I like cool colors. Does that say something about a person's personality? One of my first beads that I made:

Last edited by Shrimp; 2009-09-07 at 11:00am.
Old 2009-09-07, 11:59am
I like to melt things

My current favourites are:

Ivory
Adamantium
Copper Green
Silver Pink
Dirty Martini
Light Turquoise
Ink Blue Transparent
Light Teal Transparent
TerraNova2
Sasha's Silver

If any of these colours were to be discontinued I would mourn them like a lost pet.

-
-
Old 2009-09-07, 12:19pm
I speak Murrini!

Top 3? Okie...

1) CiM Hades - my most favorite BLACK ever!
2) Original Moretti/Effetre White. I'm very used to it's melt point and how to handle it. I think it does a fine job for me.
3) Lauscha reformulated Soft Clear 104 - which does nothing horrible in my Hot Head flame...stays stable and crystal clear even while making giant murrini gathers that I flame away at for 1 and 1/2 plus hours.

4) If allowed to post a fourth choice, it would be to be able to get the new Lau Soft Clear 104 in commercially-made, consistent sized 3mm stringers. I have to make these myself right now from #3 above, and would rather be able to get them ready-to-go!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-09-07, 12:20pm
Incognito

White
Rubino
intense black
periwinkle
ivory
silver pink
opal yellow
uranium trans and opaque
ink blue
copper green

Of course I have some colors that have been discontinued that I LOVE and hoard and some I missed getting that I covet. Have fun.

If you are all wrapped up in yourself, you are overdressed.
Old 2009-09-07, 2:19pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

rubino
violet ink blue,
cim simply berry
opal yellow

~~
~~
Old 2009-09-07, 2:21pm

Effetre ivories, both light and dark, with silver... White, black, ink blue, light sky blue, coral, coral, coral... I loove the Effetre/Vetro ranges of blues, Vetro Streaky Sapphire is amazing...

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-09-07, 2:22pm
My lab pups - Mojo & Babe

I seem to love most of the CiM colors I have - my favs are Celadon, Hades, Peace, Pulsar, Smurfy, Evil Queen.

Effetre - dark ivory is my fav, use this more than any other color. Love the new Spanish Leather too and all the turquoise colors.

Olympia - the new Multicolor is great, really like this one.

|
|

Old 2009-09-07, 2:38pm
...as in.. acoustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by plynnt View Post
I seem to love most of the CiM colors I have - my favs are Celadon, Hades, Peace, Pulsar, Smurfy, Evil Queen.

Effetre - dark ivory is my fav, use this more than any other color. Love the new Spanish Leather too and all the turquoise colors.

Olympia - the new Multicolor is great, really like this one.
Thanks everyone for your input! There seems to be quite a few popular colors that are crowd-pleasers!

And there are soooooo many that I've never heard of, but can't wait to buy and try!

So, is the "Spanish Leather" an effetre color? What color(s) is it?
And is "Multicolor" actually multicolor?
Sounds fun!

Old 2009-09-07, 3:07pm
My lab pups - Mojo & Babe

The Spanish Leather is one of the new Effetre colors. Its a yummy reddish color with a bit of brown to it.

The multicolor is similar to Iris Orange (Raku), but it seems to strike and bloom easier for me. Its a Reichenbach opague rod. It lays down on the mandrel very smoothly too. Being fairly new to this 'sport', that's a big plus for me!

|
|

Old 2009-09-07, 3:30pm

Black, Ivory, dark turquios, opal yellow, copper green, CIM browns, I use a lot of brown! I can't remember the name ...oh one was ASK silver cinnamon. I love browns! In fact, I gotta go order more now!
Yeah, multicolor is awesome! It strikes. I get lots of green, but if you work it just right you'll get some blues and purples.
And my fav silver glass, I highly recommend if you're not sure where to start...EKHO!
I can't really tell you why I use certain colors. I'm just drawn to them I guess. =)

Old 2009-09-07, 4:18pm

Effetre dark ivory, intense black, Hades, peace, diamond clear, aurae, copper green, opal yellow, ink blue, celedon
Old 2009-09-07, 4:39pm
Senior Member | Jenelle

Ok, hope you don't mind image intensity lol, my three all time (well so far) fav glasses to work with are:

Raku R-108-C Iris Orange Opaque (reduces)

Awesome on it's own and reacts great with Black, Red, and Violet

what I usually refer to as Gold Iris.... R-190-C Iris Light Yellow , the top photo was heavily reduced before annealing.

And number three is Iris Blue ... R-145-C Iris Blue Transparent - Reduces

Awesome for silver accenting

Pretty on it's own or encased too (bottom pic rolled in silver foil and encased)

|
|
|
|

Old 2009-09-07, 6:05pm
drinks pickle juice

Dark Ivory, Intense Black, Dark Turqouise. I could make a ton of beads from these three and be pretty happy. If I could add more I'd definitely want to add Goldstone stringers, any kind of olive-y green, dark brown. I guess I like earth tones!
Old 2009-09-07, 6:20pm

1. dark ivory
2. dark ivory
3. dark ivory

effetre or vetrofond...I use it in most of my beads
Old 2009-09-07, 6:43pm
I'm a lilac!

I could not function without the ivories and the BE equivalents.

Old 2009-09-07, 8:21pm
...as in.. acoustic

WOW everyone!
Ok-
"Sortaflower" - OMG those are delicious! I'm going to have to get those colors! How awesome are they!?! So beautiful! -But I don't have to tell you that!

Gina - Sounds like you and I have the VERY similar preferences!

Mary - LMAO you're funny!

Kalera - I'm new... what the heck is BE equivalent? And show pictures!

That goes for everyone!

Old 2009-09-07, 8:39pm
I like to melt things

This is Silver Pink with Copper Green, TerraNova2 and Ink Blue.

This is Canyon de Chelly, Black, Ivory, Silvered Ivory Stringer, Sasha's Silver and Taxco Silver Turquoise.

This is a twistie of Sage, Rembrandt and Cezanne over Adamantium.

This is a twistie (Copper Green, Opal Yellow, Double Helix R170) over Adamantium.

This little guy is Ivory and Light Teal Transparent.

-
-
Old 2009-09-07, 8:52pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akustik View Post
WOW everyone!
Ok-
"Sortaflower" - OMG those are delicious! I'm going to have to get those colors! How awesome are they!?! So beautiful! -But I don't have to tell you that!

Gina - Sounds like you and I have the VERY similar preferences!

Mary - LMAO you're funny!

Kalera - I'm new... what the heck is BE equivalent? And show pictures!

That goes for everyone!
BE is short for Bullseye.

I use Effetre Light Ivory and silver leaf as a base for these:

Regular Effetre Ivory and silver leaf for these:

Here's some Effetre Dark Ivory (the base color in both sets):

In these two sets, they are all Bullseye and the base color is French Vanilla. You can't even see the base color... but it's crucial for the reaction with silver foil, which is what gives them the pebbled, sandy look:

Old 2009-09-07, 8:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoelker View Post
1. dark ivory
2. dark ivory
3. dark ivory

effetre or vetrofond...I use it in most of my beads
haha, that was the idea I had in mind, except

1. EDP
2. EDP
3. EDP
(Moretti purple 591254)

I've learned to control the devetrification and it's interaction with other colors.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-

Last edited by cgbeads; 2009-09-07 at 9:00pm.
Old 2009-09-07, 9:44pm
...as in.. acoustic

Donna-
Those are beautimus!
How in the...
It's PFM!
awesome.

Old 2009-09-08, 5:07am

Donna those are gorgeous!!!!!!!! I love edp too. I'll have to get it out today and play. Here are a couple of my fave dark ivory beads...

Old 2009-09-08, 5:08am
Lampworkaholic!

I answered in the Family Room. But I have to agree with Opal Yellow, Copper Green, Silver Pink, Streaky Sapphire and Uranium Pastel.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-09-08, 6:59am

Mary, I can't imagine how you did that twist....that is a very pretty bead!

Oh, and Streaky Sapphire? I thought it was discontinued.

Here's Multicolor....

And Ekho!

Old 2009-09-08, 12:40pm

Streaky Sapphire was an odd lot, but I still love it - there was a darker and lighter batch... Gorgeous beads in this thread!

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-09-08, 2:47pm
too many rods in the fire

Wow - so much great glass, so little time!

A few of my very favorites are:

EDP (Effetre) purple
Crocus (CIM) an orchid purple - gorgeous!!!
Dark Periwinkle (Effetre)
Heffalump (CIM) a lighter, more opaque lavender/purple
Opal Raspberry (Reichenbach) 104 - a pretty darker pink with no diva tendencies!
Black - I use TONS of black! Hades by CIM is a good black that doesn't bleed, but I use lots of Effetre black also
Chalcedony (Gaffer - 96 COE) a wonderful RAKU-like glass that can be used in small amounts on 104 COE
Acid Yellow (Effetre) a bright lemony yellow
Pea Green (Effetre)

I'm sure there's more, but those are probably my current fav's.

Old 2009-09-08, 2:48pm
Disconnected

In order to survive I need:

Lauscha steel blue
B104 Sandstone and Beige (my favorite ivories)
CIM Dirty Martini
Vetro Orange Sherbet
Vetro Sea foam Green (yes, the one that no longer exists)

Old 2009-09-08, 4:47pm

Vetro Honey Crunch (odd lot) - very temperamental glass but it's a beautiful variation on ivory
Double Helix Psyche
Double Helix Aurae
CIM Canyon de Chelly
CIM Sangre
Effetre Silver Pink
Effetre Copper Green
Effetre Dark Ivory

Rebecca Cordingley Designs -
|
|
|
Old 2009-09-08, 5:35pm
Cali4nia baby

hmmmm.....curdled ivory, black (tuxedo or hades) EDP and Aurae - so sorry had to pick 4 ! ohhhh others did more, so I will add CLEAR, Sedona,Crocus and rose quartz (CIM), Uranium yellow, Reichenbach Iris Violet, Violet dk. blue and TRITON ~ Also just got some smurfy and it looks REAL purty ! Too many colors not enuf time (or money) !

Last edited by FairyVerre; 2009-09-08 at 5:38pm. Reason: addd
Old 2009-09-09, 6:34am
...as in.. acoustic

MARY- Wow, those are so cool! Dark ivory would definitely be on my top three if I could get results like that! Very pretty!
Do you always use it in conjunction with silver leaf/foil?

PATTI- Wo-wo-wa-wo! That Multicolor is soooo fantastrikulicious! omg. Where do you get that color? I have to get some! omg. So beautiful. I love it!
-Or maybe its the goddess... she'd prolly make any color look good.
Aces!
And that Ekho! ...I don't even know what to say about that. I can't even wrap my head around that color. (Those colors) Gorgeous ring.

Oh, ya- what's curdled ivory?

And, of course... Donna- Woo-Hoo on the EDP! How'd you do that?! Mine always goes white and holey and spreads it's ugliness all over the rest of the bead.