Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-10-30, 8:20am
Procrastinate Now!!

Anyone who does this... please post pictures in this thread. I've been watching this thread, as using recycled glass appeals to me.

Went for a walk with my daughter earlier in the week, and found 3 different shades of glass on the ground. Picked it up and separated it. I'm hoping to make them into beads on a warm day.

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
Old 2007-11-30, 10:17pm
Grounded from da Torch =(

heh.. I was wondering how many people were doing this. Is there an 'easiest' method for using the glass other than chunks? I was thinking about trying to melt it in the kiln and then pull rods from that?

My mom has some vintage Moroccan Amethyst plates that are started to etch from dishwasher or whatever, so I'm trying to get those from her.

I have a bunch of chunks of glass from where I was doing glassblowing before I got pregnant, been thinking of the best way to use those, too. Big chunks of unannealed stuff that didn't make it to the kiln..
Old 2007-12-01, 11:44am
Anyone need some spacers?

If you break the chunks into pieces small enough to pull rods out of they work great. I just pick them up with pliers and heat then pull. These can be shockie so I try to use them not to long after I put them or put them on a rod warmer before using.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-12-01, 10:21pm
Guera loca

A former coworker of mine gifted me a bottle of wine from the winery she and husband run. The wine was lovely, but the glass bottle was even nicer.

I put it in a canvas mail bag (they're the best - very strong and tightly woven), rolled that in a towel, and took a hammer to it. Big pieces got prewarmed in the kiln and I pulled rods from them. Smaller pieces went right to the torch.

I made a bunch of spacer beads, etched them, and started a beautiful necklace that I will give her for her birthday ... made from one of her own wine bottles. Problem is, the yellowish olive glass is so pretty that I want another bottle to make something for myself!

Try it. It's fun!

(Some time next week, I have to photograph a bunch of jewelry before I sell it. I'll snap a few of the almost-finished necklace and post it.)

Barb

- our restaurant
Old 2007-12-02, 7:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
I've been making beads from recycled glass for years. Here's
a bracelet made with beads from Skyy Vodka bottles.

Attachment 49109
You were the first person to come to mind! The beer bottle beads are fun too! Karen, Have you ever tried tumbling them? That would be pretty!!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-12-02, 8:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Most of my neighbors know I make jewelry. So when I wanted
to start using glass bottles, I put the word out that if anyone
had any bottles left over from the week that didn't make it into
the recycling bins - would they please drop them off at my house.

I had no idea I was surrounded by alcoholics. One call and I was
set for the next year. I can make beads until the cows learn
to tango and STILL have bottles left over .
I bet they pour the alcohol out so you can melt the bottle.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-12-02, 8:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgslampwork View Post
Ahhh, a question I can answer...I saved this one! BEAUTIFUL STUFF:

http://rebeccawardjewellery.com/index.htm
Kimberly

The shard earrings are so pretty! I saved this web site too!

Heidi

~~
~~