Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-06-15, 10:46pm
Torchaholic ;)

thats totally my video I made the other night and posted 5 posts above this one! lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FOLLOW OUR TRAVELS IN THE MOBILE SHOP !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-06-15, 11:23pm
Glass Attack

im looking on sites right now for fairly priced tools, and was wondering whats the ideal size bowl push to get?
also, when did graphite become so freaking expensive? i remember a few months ago i saw a box of raw graphite blocks for like 40$, if i would have known i would be doing this now, i would have jumped on it, so i could make my own tools!
also, im wondering if these tools could have any future use in sculpting or anything..
http://artistryinglass.on.ca/store/c...m_p_13051.html
Old 2010-06-16, 1:35am
product of the universe

I'm pretty sure my bowl push is 5/8". I also use a 1/2" for smaller bowls and chillums.My first push was a graphite rod with the end rounded it worked great, but it got really hot. Now i use a nice ones with wood handles and don't burn my hand. I've even made some really tiny spoons and used a nail to push the bowl in. They are more of a novelty thing but they actually work.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-06-16, 1:41am
Glass Attack

thats sweet! so those little tools i made a link to, would actuall be somewhat useful for that, minus the fact i would probably have to poke out the hole again if it collapsed.

Old 2010-06-16, 1:43am
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbalBurn View Post
im looking on sites right now for fairly priced tools, and was wondering whats the ideal size bowl push to get?
also, when did graphite become so freaking expensive? i remember a few months ago i saw a box of raw graphite blocks for like 40$, if i would have known i would be doing this now, i would have jumped on it, so i could make my own tools!
also, im wondering if these tools could have any future use in sculpting or anything..
http://artistryinglass.on.ca/store/c...m_p_13051.html
The tools above are kwell, but you can sculpt with most anything. Start with a butter knife add a large screw and bolt, they're some of my most used tools!

ETA: OK so it's late and I know I'm a bit off, but damn! I knew I had a tool for rounding (that would do what you linked to) so color me stupid I use these tools on every piece I make. One end is round while the other is pointed, great stuff made by a lampworker. You can find her here on LE: whimzicalities Her tools rock!
Regarding the push, I mostly use a 5/8, but I also have a smaller one too.

Color me anti tool most of the time even though all I do is sculpture.

Last edited by loco; 2010-06-16 at 2:03am. Reason: mentally masturbating, again....
Old 2010-06-16, 1:50am
product of the universe

The bowl pushes i have came from here. http://glassblowingtools.net/

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-06-16, 2:08am
Glass Attack

lol, u like your reason for editing. same here kinda.. cept i havent slept in 2 days. lol.
alright, how do you use a butter knife, bolt and screw?
and thanks chayes, i'll check that out!

Old 2010-06-16, 2:54am
The Crazy One

Quote:
lol, u like your reason for editing. same here kinda.. cept i havent slept in 2 days. lol.
alright, how do you use a butter knife, bolt and screw?
and thanks chayes, i'll check that out!
Get some sleep dude!
Heat the glass and attack it. Not the best views of these bub's, but it'll give you the idea.

Old 2010-06-16, 3:12am
Glass Attack

Those are sick! how long did it take for the hand holding the eye?
btw, what would you sell those for anyway?
and yes. im passing out, i'll be back later today.

Last edited by HerbalBurn; 2010-06-16 at 3:13am. Reason: forgot to say im passing out, didnt want to post another thread
Old 2010-06-16, 3:25am
The Crazy One

The one with the hands was rather quick, if I recall correctly it was a couple of hours? They are long gone and sold for 369 each.

Sweet dreams, I'm heading back to the torch.
Old 2010-06-16, 9:48am
Torchaholic ;)

Loco Im Diggin the bubbs! Nice work!

FOLLOW OUR TRAVELS IN THE MOBILE SHOP !

Old 2010-06-16, 10:31am
Glass Attack

Wow, that's crazy! making bank with a few hours of work. how do you go about marketing those?
The detail is amazing!

Old 2010-06-16, 11:50am
The Crazy One

brayjr, Thanks, I have fun!

Quote:
Wow, that's crazy! making bank with a few hours of work. how do you go about marketing those?
The detail is amazing!
It doesn't always work out that way. You gotta make a bunch of turds to get some decent pieces.

Marketing 101: Put your ass in the car and drive around and ho your stuff. Eventually you build relationships with SOME of the shops and if your damn lucky a distributor will pick up your stuff at a price that your willing to accept.

Additionally I have met buyers at various glass events. When that occurs I don't attempt to sell to them, I just hang with my friends and let it happen over time (just having a good time with out a "in your face buy my shit" thang). I've picked up out of state accounts that way and those accounts rock my world!)

To me selling my functional pieces is a lot like making it, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.
Old 2010-06-16, 12:56pm
Glass Attack

For sure, i was talking to a guy who made a piece, dropped it in a bowl of vermiculite and that heat wool, no annealing, looked like a melted bottle somewhat tall and squarish at some points, a really dirty, murky bluish color, no embellishments(beside the carb), or attempt to make it buy-able(a piece of poop) with no distinct purpose in the shape of it, but it was fully functional. if you had to anthropomorphize it, it kinda looked alot like a bird if you looked at it right. =\_/0 <- imagine this is the bowl, but on top of the backslash. the mouth piece being the tail feathers. eye being the carb.. he didnt make it with that intent though, the glass just slumped..

also, doe your pipes have a similar unique, crazy creation, artistic style for them all? or do you make a broad range of constructional ideas?

what do you do if it doesn't work? are you able to anneal it, break it up in little pieces, and use those in the next creation?

Old 2010-06-16, 1:33pm
The Crazy One

Quote:
For sure, i was talking to a guy who made a piece, dropped it in a bowl of vermiculite and that heat wool, no annealing, looked like a melted bottle somewhat tall and squarish at some points, a really dirty, murky bluish color, no embellishments(beside the carb), or attempt to make it buy-able(a piece of poop) with no distinct purpose in the shape of it, but it was fully functional. if you had to anthropomorphize it, it kinda looked alot like a bird if you looked at it right. =\_/0 <- imagine this is the bowl, but on top of the backslash. the mouth piece being the tail feathers. eye being the carb.. he didnt make it with that intent though, the glass just slumped..

also, doe your pipes have a similar unique, crazy creation, artistic style for them all? or do you make a broad range of constructional ideas?

what do you do if it doesn't work? are you able to anneal it, break it up in little pieces, and use those in the next creation?
Glass talks and if you listen, it will tell you what IT wants to be. That's where happy surprises come from mistakes.

All of my pipes are similar in design, grins, eyeballs, and penises for noses. Basically I am just recreating in boro what I have been doing in soft glass for years. I do not do non sculptural work, meaning no I/O, wig wags, or fuming.

Unique is one of those words that means different things to different people. I have always made what the voices in my head want. I play for me and believe that the joy and soul should be number one in my work so I don't do custom orders. The more I work the less I "entertain ideas." I have fun. I'm just fortunate some people like my work, it's not for everyone though and I'm OK with that...

I screw up shit all the time! I anneal it and throw it in a "bits" box. At times when "playing" I pick bits and shove um all together into a piece, or make pendants outta um. Sometimes it works, others, not so much!
Old 2010-06-16, 2:35pm
Glass Attack

That's really cool, i never thought of it that way!
oh, and i really like the realism in your choice of colors!

Interesting things happen when i listen to the voices in my head. especially with a little "inspiration" i cant wait to see what i can create. especially when i like to draw alot of tribal designs.

i guess at first, all the videos i was watching were just simple spoons, but watching a guy melt frit inside the tubing, and add frosting and crazy feet, really opened my mind to the almost infinite ways you can manipulate the glass.

in all the research, and studying before i actually touch a torch(still not here), has definitely shown me the vast difference in soft and boro glass.. i definitely want to be doing alot of boro work, that's for sure!

hmm, i guess for some reason i was lead to believe that after glass is annealed, melting it back down can stress the glass out? but i guess as i don't have the experience yet, just some minimal knowledge, i'll figure it out soon enough.

Old 2010-06-16, 3:24pm
The Crazy One

"hmm, i guess for some reason i was lead to believe that after glass is annealed, melting it back down can stress the glass out? but i guess as i don't have the experience yet, just some minimal knowledge, i'll figure it out soon enough."

Some glass does not like to sit in the kiln for long, nor does it care for the in's and out's of reworking at many sittings. Others, it's like the damn bunny, it just keeps on going on.
Old 2010-06-16, 4:02pm
Glass Attack

I'll know soon enough i guess.. thanks for putting up with my constant questions.. then again, i'm not used to a forum where stuff actually happens.. [Glassline] forum doesn't move very much.. or maybe i just haven't been looking in the right places.
oh, and i love your other art! it's phenomenal!

Old 2010-07-23, 3:45pm
Flameworker

Anyone working on a Tutorial for this?
Old 2010-07-24, 8:00am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Propp View Post
Anyone working on a Tutorial for this?
There's one on www.thegldg.com

The author includes a lot of extra steps that you don't need, but the finished result is the same.

Old 2010-07-24, 7:05pm
Pyromaniac

Here's the actual link to save you some needless pain searching

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32744

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-07-26, 9:57am
Flameworker

Thanks guys, I have been messing around a bit a made a few decent ones. I'll post results when i get i really nice one.
Old 2010-08-11, 1:02pm
where is that UPS man?

Thanks for the shortcuts.... Well I have made a couple of crappy attempts but everytime I try and put a hole in the bowl i end up pushing the bowl down to far.. how do you get the hole into the bowl... I use a round push for the bowl and a reamer/tungsten for the freaggin hole... now the bottom of my pipes and the bottom of the bowl are having a small orgy.... seriously what a spaz am I ????? or are you using a push/punch thingy??? I have seen those... Do I really need to buy that for just a pipe or 2 for my broham?????
Chad where is the TUT?

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2010-08-11, 1:11pm
where is that UPS man?

OMG!!!! I am a goof... he blew out the bubble beforehand.. what a tard am I Okay must go and try it again.....

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2010-08-11, 1:12pm
where is that UPS man?

these are freakin awesome!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
Get some sleep dude!
Heat the glass and attack it. Not the best views of these bub's, but it'll give you the idea.

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO