Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-10-02, 7:47am
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

Default What tips for a National 3A

I'm thinking of buying a premix National 3A to do some Boro work with I presently use a Nortel Mid range which is great but the flame is too large when wanting to work smaller items or in tight spots.

what size tips would be the best to start with ? OX2 /3 /4 or get a range

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-10-02, 2:59pm
formerly Marella

Oooh, I'd love to hear some feedback too....I have the same setup, midrange with a minor on top.

I took a course at the Pittsburgh Glass Centre this summer, and Robert Mickelsen was teaching a flameworking course (it was full so I took another course), but they were using National 3A's for the networking pieces they did...spectacular!

http://www.mickelsenstudios.com/contents.html

~
~
~
Old 2010-10-02, 3:03pm

I have the national ox2-5 and they are good although you have to turn down the pressures on the smaller sizes I have found. I also have a HTC-1 and a HTC2

I would think you could do with a ox2 and ox4 and the HTC-1 If you are looking to go small you might look into the smith little jewlers torch or the meco midget. I use my small smith on a daily basis for small welds and details in places that the National cant reach. down side to the smith mini is you will need a inline regulator to turn the pressures way down.
Old 2010-10-04, 4:06am
product of the universe

This is the best tip i have ever used http://www.etsy.com/listing/31823332...or-lampworking I use the 55 hole tip. It's very hot and clean.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-10-04, 7:55am

i wouldn't go with anything less than the ox-3. the 4 and 5 are also great.

must say though, that the ht and htc tips are worth a look. htc1 and htc 2 are great tips. nice center hole with a ring of holes around it. they also are MUCH more quiet than the ox tips

Old 2010-10-10, 4:27pm

I can run my OX-3 at its maximum using 7lpm. My OX-1 consumes only 3lpm.

Here is a pic of my OX-3 running on 1/4psi propane and 10psi oxygen, 7lpm.

I also have a 18(i think) hole tip that gets red hot after a few min at 10lpm, so you need tanked for that.