Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2006-11-06, 3:54pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Default Glass Storage Option with purchasing details

Hi Guys,

I've been muddling through the whole glass storage issue at my house. And I have tried finding storage that makes sense. PVC pipe to me is cumbersome due to the roundness of it, and I had a heck of a time figuring out where to get the fabulous fencing that some people have. SO I thought I'd share the beginning of my new storage system, and how to get some for yourselves!!

Here is my system so far. I am using a pvc cutter, which is about 10 bucks to cut this fencing (thanks to DebHopefulJourneys for this tip).

You can special order this "replacement picket" which is part of the "classic gothic panel" fencing that Home Depot sells. Call your local Home Depot Special Order desk and have them order item number 73063101 from US Fence. (U.S. Fence won't sell to anyone but Lowes & Home Depot)

This comes in a 96 inch long piece, and measures 1 3/8" x 1 3/8" ... I can fit 1 lb of 13" rods in one of these squares. With shipping, I am being charged $6 per 96" piece. I can get eight 12 inch pieces from this OR five 18 inch pieces plus a little scrap for making a stringers/twisties holder.

Just thought I'd share.

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.

Last edited by sadiesmom; 2006-11-06 at 3:57pm.
Old 2006-11-06, 5:08pm
I'm cookin' with gas now!

Denise- I appreciate so much you sharing all this great info. I had decided to use the square fencing and was just trying to find a "Fence Store" in my area. Now I don't have to go to all that work! Will order it tomorrow, thanks so much!
Vickie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Just happy to be here!
Old 2006-11-06, 5:48pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Thanks so much for posting!!! I was hoping to help someone with this information.

Old 2006-11-06, 6:18pm
Etched Metal Rocks...

Denise...I just like looking at all the pretty organized glass...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-11-06, 8:56pm
She's Back & Burnin'

I really like this storage solution!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Sara

Old 2006-11-06, 9:30pm

I was just hunting around today for some PVC and my inner voice said "no, don't buy this...."

Very cool and I have a home depot discount coupon to boot!
Old 2006-11-06, 9:51pm
Everybody Needs Beads!

UGH! I wish I had heard MY inner voice say "no PVC"! I had to come up with some sort of portable storage for the show I did this last past weekend. I wanted to make "stadium" seating for the rods. So we cut up the kid's floaty tubes (yes, I will pay for it in therapy later!) and put 3 in. pieces in the bottom of the back PVC pipes and then graduated down to the front ones. Then we put all the PVC tubes into milk crates. Easy to carry, and they can hold a lot of weight. At HOME tho...I would really like to have the square pieces.
Thanks SO much for posting that info!!!

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2006-11-06, 10:17pm
Procrastinate Now!!

You're welcome!!

P.S. I'm still transitioning, but here's a picture of the huge difference in space this takes up. The old way is on the right, the new way is on the left... and it's just beginning... mwahahaha... I have eighteen 96" pickets on special order right now.

I'm so glad that I don't remember how much those dang pvcs were!! Now what the heck should I do with them??? lol

Old 2006-11-06, 10:40pm
Corgi Cult Member

Boy, the company will think all their fences are falling apart when they get so many orders for replacement pickets!
Kathy

Old 2006-11-06, 11:39pm
Everybody Needs Beads!

I was thinking that same thing about what to do with the PVC pipes...I was wondering if maybe the hamster wouldn't like some new-fangled tube run!?
It wouldn't be as fun for US not being able to see him......but still.

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2006-11-07, 12:05am
I've got goodies!

I use my old pvc for shipping glass.

LE members get 5% off all purchases!!
Coupon code LE

Old 2006-11-07, 12:41am

Lowes has Vinyl Fenceing also
In my lowes it in the garden center

Old 2006-11-07, 2:27am

I found scrap at the frencing supplie place for around 1/8th of the lowes price because they are scrap. If anyone would like to buy some I would get you some very cheep and send them to you. Even with shipping it would be much cheaper. PM me if you are interested
Lori
Old 2006-11-07, 2:43am
Knob Creek Glass

Lowes thought I was nuts! I kept on going back and buying more. Fortunately, I convinced them that they could cut it for me. Sometimes I had to show them how. And I finally learned to put it in a long flat cart, rather than a shopping cart. And no bags!
Old 2006-11-07, 3:13am

Great info!!!!! Lori-what dimensions are the scrap that you are getting? I live here in WA and it may be worth a trip down that way just to load up!
Linda
Old 2006-11-07, 12:54pm
Dangerous Woman

Denise can you give a few more details as to what a "PVC cutter" is? Is it a stand alone tool or something you you use with a dremel type tool or something? I've had fence railing I have been waiting for DH to cut up for me for months now. (insert hands on hips and tapping foot icon here) If a $10 tool can enable me to do it myself then I'm there! When I go to get one I'd like a clue as to what I'm looking for. You know how the guys at the tool stores look at us women when we try to buy something that they think isn't 'womenly'. Especially the welding shop.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-11-07, 1:42pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104
Denise can you give a few more details as to what a "PVC cutter" is? Is it a stand alone tool or something you you use with a dremel type tool or something? I've had fence railing I have been waiting for DH to cut up for me for months now. (insert hands on hips and tapping foot icon here) If a $10 tool can enable me to do it myself then I'm there! When I go to get one I'd like a clue as to what I'm looking for. You know how the guys at the tool stores look at us women when we try to buy something that they think isn't 'womenly'. Especially the welding shop.
You can't cut the fence rails with the PVC cutter (too big). It's made for pipes, but can be used with the pickets.

Old 2006-11-07, 2:01pm
Procrastinate Now!!

This pvc cutter can cut tubing up to 1-5/8 inches. I'm not sure if they make larger ones. I know this cutter is too small to use with the pvc pipes in the size I have them.

Here is what it looks like...

Unlatch the safety thingymabobber at the bottom, and pull the handles out to open the cutter...

Put the picket in the tool, and press handles together, it ratchets with each compression cutting a little more each time...

Voila!!

Old 2006-11-07, 3:57pm
Dangerous Woman

OK. I see. I have the rails so I guess I gotta wait a little more. I'll have to get my nag on.

Old 2006-11-07, 3:58pm
Dangerous Woman

Thanks for the great pics and instructions!

Old 2006-11-07, 4:22pm
& your rubino rod too!

Nancy,
You can cut the PVC with any kind of power saw. Just cut slowly so it doesn't chip, do it outside, and wear goggles and mask for the dust. I used a 21" chop saw... talk about overkill LOL
Dana
Old 2006-11-07, 6:31pm
Procrastinate Now!!

You're welcome Nancy!

Old 2006-11-08, 10:43am
Dangerous Woman

Thanks Dana. I have a roto zip saw thing. I may give it a go.

Old 2006-11-08, 12:25pm
Thank God I'm Friendly

I love that!! Thanks for the idea and the info!!

Old 2006-11-08, 1:05pm

I appreciate the order specifics. I'm tired of hearing that the box stores can't order it and that the speciality stores don't use it.

I may add some of this to my acrylic units (which I can't afford more of at the moment) and my cardboard mailers.
Old 2006-11-08, 2:59pm
Following my Dream

I was stumped, stunned and gasping for air over the amount of beautiful glass you have to store....lol Now that i've cleaned up the drool I'll tell you,
I use the same thing for my glass storage.I found a few pieces that were dinged up and they discounted them for me.DH uses his chop saw to cut them for me.At our Lowes they are in the garden dept. and you have to look for them under everything else.
Margie

My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...
Old 2006-11-10, 12:15am

You could sent them to me.For my new studio.Ha! Ha! I finally closing on my new house by the 17th. Cant wait.I use pvc. But dont have enough or for that matter not enough glass yet. Well it will come a little at a time. I do like the fence post.

OTE=sadiesmom]You're welcome!!

P.S. I'm still transitioning, but here's a picture of the huge difference in space this takes up. The old way is on the right, the new way is on the left... and it's just beginning... mwahahaha... I have eighteen 96" pickets on special order right now.

I'm so glad that I don't remember how much those dang pvcs were!! Now what the heck should I do with them??? lol[/quote]
Old 2006-11-10, 6:08am

I have seen it listed in the Garage as available for pick up only or sometimes with a shipping option. Sometimes they sell it and sometimes it is given away. Just a thought.

Like Mary, if I was near you I'd nab a little of it to stretch my hodge podge till I get switched to one system.
Old 2006-11-10, 6:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassgoodies
I use my old pvc for shipping glass.

You're so clever! That's a great idea.
Old 2006-11-11, 8:01pm

Default cheap alternative for glass rack

Not to hijack, but I wanted to let everyone who was interested know that Home Depot sells plastic downspout for $6 and that is what my husband is using to build my glass rack instead of fence railing. Cheaper and lighter than the fencing.
Donna