Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-11-29, 9:19am
Temptress

Default Sculpture - Boro vs Soft - Is one better than the other?

I've been playing with both soft and hard glass for a while now. I like to make small sculptures (1" - 4" high), some with delicate parts such as toes or fins (I make lots of fish and dragons). I've been wondering for sometime now if one is better than the other for sculpture (I've mainly been using soft for sculpture). Is one better suited for some things than others? any opinions?
Thanks!
Old 2007-11-29, 9:24am
ManBearPig

The better one is the one you feel most comfortable working with. I would definitely say it's easier to learn using borosilicate just due to the forgivingness of the glass. But, I have seen many nice sculptures done in soft glass as well. If you were talking about 12" tall sculptures, I'd say stick with borosilicate. But for that size, it just comes down to what you like working with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-11-29, 10:07am
Temptress

So do you think it's just as easy to do things like inset eyes in boro? I haven't tried to yet, but am curious.
Old 2007-11-29, 10:21am
ManBearPig

I don't think it's a case of "easier". Different techniques, different glass. Personally, I think it's easier to sculpt borosilicate. But, I very rarely use any soft glass, so that is probably why.

Old 2007-11-29, 11:03am
Butterfly Rancher

I find that there's also a difference in which soft glass. I find it easier to sculpt with Bullseye than with Moretti.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2007-11-29, 11:13am
Temptress

LOL And to think I thought this might help me figure out which glass I could live without! I'm just going to have to learn everything, aren't I?
Old 2007-11-29, 12:04pm

Pam Dugger and Deb Crowley do fish and dragons in Bullseye.

What do you mean by inset eyes?
Old 2007-11-29, 12:21pm
Satake Woman!

I use anything from boro to Satake to sculpt with. If I want something with delicate petals or thin pieces, I use boro. If I'm doing something like people, I use soft glass.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2007-11-29, 1:22pm
Butterfly Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
LOL And to think I thought this might help me figure out which glass I could live without! I'm just going to have to learn everything, aren't I?
That's the truth Just be sure you label everything -- all those clears have a funny way of looking alike

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2007-11-29, 1:50pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I think that boro is 100% easier to sculpt stuff with!
It's much stiffer, AND it is SOOO much more forgiving than
soft glass. I can put the boro down, pick it up again and
do this multiple times without worrying about cracking.
I LOVE boro for this!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-12-02, 9:03pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I vote for boro also.

Ebay:
Old 2007-12-02, 9:49pm

I think they both have greats and boooo's. Soft for the colors, boro for the slower time frame with the heat. BUT - as I have recently discovered - when you switch or try to go in the glass you are not familiar with?

Expect a re-learn time when you change. I was under the mistaken impression that if I had soft glass moving in directions I wanted, that boro would be the same. Hooooooooo boy, was I ever wrong. What you are not used to is a whole different animal and I am finding I have to re-learn like a newbie.

And Deb works both.
She is a master of so many mediums that I am in awe of her talent.

My Two Cents.
Sheryll

Old 2007-12-02, 10:20pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

Oh what an awesome thread.

Newbie at boro here and am at this very minute struggling with the movement of boro compared to soft. Definitely different.

And I find they both have pros and cons. Right now the con for me in boro is this learning curve. I want to do it now.

Any tips you other cross-overs can give us to speed things along would soooo be appreciated!

Last edited by lripster; 2007-12-03 at 10:14am. Reason: to change me to us :)
Old 2007-12-03, 5:59am
Miss my BoBo Griff

here is a tip LOl don't be afraid to get down in the flame with boro, most of the color can take the heat. Get Lori Robbins/rocio recipe book and play with all those color combo you will learn a bunch. Have fun
chrisann

Old 2007-12-03, 7:27am

I like working in both. They are both very different.
With soft you can get large sculptures just like you can with boro. I think Lucio is the master of large soft glass.... His work is wonderful. The vases are done in the fernace but the figures are done on the torch as well as the assembly. Some are over 5 feet tall.

http://www.luciobubacco.com/gallery.asp?IDCategoria=8

For small items, my favorite is Vittorio....
http://www.popweb.com/costantini/

I also have many favorites in boro....

Try both and see what you like best.... I think soft glass is a more gentle style while boro is aggressive with the glass. Do you like to work hot or with a soft flame.....??????

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2007-12-03, 8:15am
Temptress

Thanks everyone. It's so hard to commit to anyone glass, I'm not sure why I'm even trying - except for trying to store the effetre, the bullseye, the boro, and not get anything mixed up in such a small space. Perhaps when my studio is complete I can be better organized (yeah, right). With any luck I'll get to torch today and I'll try one of my little dragons in boro to see what I can do with it.