LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-02-12, 4:07pm

Unhappy trouble with effetre black metallic glass

i am fairly new to lampworking and bought some effetre black metallic glass and I am using a hothead torch . I am having a lot of trouble with it , the end result of a bead is chalky looking , not glossy , sometimes appears shrivelled and pitted . I have tried varying heats and worked longer and quicker but same result . any suggestions . its probably something stupid knowing me !!!!
Old 2014-02-12, 4:25pm

For me, black metallic does not get glossy. It's kind of like dark silver plum - a rough, metallic finish. I don't have any pictures to show, but I know other people here do. You could also search for it or dsp.

And it boils very easily, resulting in a pitted look.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2014-02-12, 4:51pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Black metallic is definitely not glossy (else it's just regular black). The matte, slightly "cooked" & pitted effect is actually really desired by the lampworkers and buyers.

Here's an example of what Black Metallic is looking like for me:

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2014-02-12, 5:07pm
Tweedle Dumb

Judith, do you have trouble with the loss of the oil slick colors after cleaning them? I've tried my Metallic Black many times, and every time I clean them they turn into regular old frumpy looking black beads.

I wonder if there is a bad batch that is less stable? Is there a trick to keeping it? Do you just not leave them in the water too long? I'm stumped.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2014-02-12, 5:22pm

wow! Thats really pretty.
Old 2014-02-13, 12:34am
Naysayer

Yes mine are like what Judith said (cool beads), not glossy and like dk. Siiver Plum. I think the word 'metallic' is throwing you off, many work for that look you're getting on a HH! HH's rock this and dk. Silver Plum.

I've not had the colors come off, I have with CIM gunmetal, it was an early batch that came off just soaking the beads, I *think it's been fixed, don't quote me lol.
Old 2014-02-13, 1:50pm
Torching since 2004

Definitely not glossy, here is one of mine with it and this was worked really cool way out in the flame.

Old 2014-02-13, 8:53pm
Glass-aholic

It likes oxy. Not really ideal on a hh, as it has a naturally more reductive flame. Might try heating in the most hot/neutral part of your flame, then taking it out to cool and re heating it in the same part of the flame. But it probably needs more oxy.

What I'd on that bead that's all rainbow???? Such a cool bead! If that is your not so awesome bead, I can't wait to see more!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-02-13, 9:39pm

What about working with shards?

Barbara
Old 2014-02-14, 9:01pm
Torching since 2004

Jaci, if you mean me it iw Metallic Black and I worked the rod at an angle so the metallic bits laid on rather than smooshed in and then worked it really cool and I kept holding my breath waiting for the "tink"...

Old 2014-02-14, 9:22pm
Naysayer

Haha, just like dk Silver Plum there's both sides of the road..more oxy or more propane, Becky so I guess if you tried one, try the other. This happens every thread for these colors I swear
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...metallic+black

Michele I have never seen colors like that, it looks like dichro! too cool!
Old 2014-02-15, 1:45am
Glass-aholic

Michelle that's so interesting! I really thought maybe you had dichro hits on it or something. It almost looks like crushed opal. I wonder if that would encase....probably not I'm guessing! That would be asking for a pot!! Lol

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-02-17, 3:19am

I got the most colorful results with shards.

I worked in a neutral flame.

Elke