Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-02-16, 12:35pm

Default 5lpm oxy with minor ?

I have worked with 10 psi 5 lpm machine and carlisse mini cc for years. My new torch is a minor with 5 lpm oxy con. I just can't get the colors or reactions I used to with the carlise. Any suggestions? A second oxy con?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

_
Old 2014-02-16, 3:00pm
Judy Nelson

Just a question...
Why did you switch from the Mini CC to a Minor?
I just sent my 10 y/o Mini to Carlisle and they repaired and said it is as good as new. Can't wait to get it back.
I used my old Minor and it was so slow.
Had a friend a few years ago needed two oxy cons when she switched from tanked oxy.
Old 2014-02-17, 10:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnelson View Post
Just a question...
Why did you switch from the Mini CC to a Minor?
I just sent my 10 y/o Mini to Carlisle and they repaired and said it is as good as new. Can't wait to get it back.
I used my old Minor and it was so slow.
Had a friend a few years ago needed two oxy cons when she switched from tanked oxy.
lost other torch in studio items removed w/o my permission, minor was a loving gift from Ernie Wagner. So you feel the minor slow?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

_

Last edited by beachbeads; 2014-02-17 at 6:54pm.
Old 2014-02-17, 7:57pm

could lack of flame be to oxy-con? How can I test oxy flow, it reads 5 lpm and apears to work fine.

_
Old 2014-02-17, 8:34pm

I find the minor takes some getting used to - the heat is less intense, even on tanks. But plenty if people make great beads on them.
Old 2014-02-18, 9:26am
Glass-aholic

I use a minor and a 5lpm, but recent added a second 5 to it, and noticed a big difference. My oxy's don't have to work as hard to give me more pure oxy. I can let them sit at 3-4 rather than trying to push 5 which is really less pure.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-02-18, 9:28am
Glass-aholic

Better steady glow also. My older concentrator was starting to 'breathe' after a few hours.

I hooked them together with clear plastic tubing that cost less than 5$

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-02-19, 9:43am

thanks for replies.

_
Old 2014-02-19, 10:33am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I had that set up and I just played with my flame atmosphere to get different effects. It also seemed to depend where I was in he flame, that is closer tot he candles or further out.
Old 2014-02-21, 2:28pm
Mary Lockwood

I have a minor on an M-15 now but I ran it on a 5 lpm oxycon for years. It is a big difference. I wouldn't want to go back to the 5lpm unless I absolutely had to.

If you work small, the carlisle is nice because the flame is tighter and a bit hotter. I like the minor because I work sculptural and kinda big and the ambient heat and softer flame is good for that.

Even so, the minor on the 5 lpm oxycon was slow even for me.

Old 2014-02-22, 2:30am
Glass-aholic

Mary you are so funny! I'm betting one day I'll sound like you too though! I did the hot head for 10 years so the minor with 5lpm was like the smallest hottest flame ever! I could not imagine more heat from that torch for the longest time, but even hooking up the two 5's and seeing the difference... I see it now. Can't imagine how to use a flame that tight with all that heat though! We have a mega minor I want to hook up for that nice broad flame. One of these days I'll cave and get a 15 20... Hell even a 10!

Old 2014-02-22, 2:24pm
Mary Lockwood

I only spent about 3 years on the hothead. I liked it! When I switched to the minor on the 5 lpm oxycon I took 6 weeks re-learning everything. It was TERRIBLE! There was a learning curve with the M-15 but nothing like that! Whew!