Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-04-29, 2:58pm
juegues con fuego

Heres a boro set ive been working on
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-04-29, 6:05pm
yukue fumei

Kare-woohoo! cool belt buckles! the skull is awesome!

Brent-wow...I am really really loving those beads

Hannah--Yummy set--really nice shapes and colors in this set!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

Old 2007-04-29, 6:30pm

Can't spend much time on the torch so I made a little dent in the pile near the flat lap and put some beads into the electroforming solution. Some soft glass stuff, some boro. Here's a boro one

Old 2007-04-30, 9:33am
yukue fumei

WOo!!!!
I love the color you got on your electroforming!! WOW!!!
Love that pendant!!!!

nagi

Old 2007-04-30, 11:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim V View Post
Can't spend much time on the torch so I made a little dent in the pile near the flat lap and put some beads into the electroforming solution. Some soft glass stuff, some boro. Here's a boro one

That is awesome! I would love to be able to do that to some of my pendants, but I am still saving up for a flat lap machine, oxygen concentrator, glass saw, etc. so the electroforming equipment/supplies will have to wait.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-04-30, 2:41pm
Flamewoman

Default Boro Necklace

Here is a boro necklace I made very recently. Glad I took a picture, I sold it this weekend at our local spring festival.

Mary K
Old 2007-04-30, 3:28pm

Thanks Nagi! I was pleased with it too. I love that blue patina but it is fragile. I have to apply a varnish or it won't hold up. The ones that I do with another patina I let "age" more on their own.
Thanks Eric for the kind words. I know all about that tool lust It took me almost a year to gather all the stuff that I needed to do this. I bought in bits and pieces and stored them all in a box until I had enough to buy the rectifier. Hey, I just checked out your gallery...the one on the right in the middle row would look awesome electroformed!!!
Wow!! Fantastic necklace Mary!

Last edited by Kim V; 2007-04-30 at 3:30pm.
Old 2007-04-30, 4:09pm
Flamewoman

Thanks Kim! Boy, all this electroforming stuff looks so interesting. I don't know a thing about doing that. Is it hard? Where can I learn about it? Like everything else, especially something cool looking, I bet it is x-spens-ive.
Mary K
Old 2007-04-30, 5:02pm

Mary,
No, it's really not that hard. You just need the equipment and supplies to do it....plus time. These don't happen quickly Tink and Jannelle sell kits, you could look into those. Or do it piecemeal like I did Kate Fowle has been kind enough to share some of her knowledge http://www.katefowle.com/tips.htm
Kim V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Thanks Kim! Boy, all this electroforming stuff looks so interesting. I don't know a thing about doing that. Is it hard? Where can I learn about it? Like everything else, especially something cool looking, I bet it is x-spens-ive.
Mary K

Old 2007-04-30, 5:51pm
Missing presumed fed

The Jim Kervin book about Kate Fowle Meleney, which is around $17, has information in it about electroforming.

You need a rectifier, which is an electrical device that controls the current. You hook up wires to it and hook one of the wires up to pieces of copper (if you're doing copper electroforming). You suspend the pieces of copper in a container of electroforming solution. I use a great big beaker, but what you use for the container isn't crucial. You paint your item with electroconductive paint (which has metal particles in it), suspend it on a piece of copper wire in the solution between the pieces of copper, attach the other wire that's connected to your rectifier, and there you go. (Yes, I'm leaving out some details that you need to know, but it's not a whole lot more complicated.) You leave the bead or whatever in the solution for a while -- meaning hours -- with the current on, checking from time to time and moving your wire so it doesn't make a mark on the bead, until you get the effect you like. The entire set up costs maybe around $200 -- I might be low on that, since it's been a while since I bought mine. The rectifier is the big expense. The paint that you use isn't cheap, but it lasts forever, so you don't need much. It's amazing how far a little container will go.
Old 2007-04-30, 7:20pm
yukue fumei

Thanks for the info Kim and Emily!

Mary--gorgeous necklace! I can see why it sold so fast! Congrats on the sale!

nagi