Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-17, 10:53am
Life in the slow lane

Default Question about Foster Fire Heavy Duty

I love my Foster Fire bead release but it just doesn't really do what I want it to do all the time. I was fortunate enough to purchase some heavy duty last night. So here is my question. I have to water down the regular foster fire quite a bit. Do I need to do the same thing to the heavy duty?

I was told with the regular foster fire it needed to be dipped where you could almost see the mandrel through the dip. It's pretty watery and works great that way. So does the heavy duty need the same treatment?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-07-17, 11:03am
Safety ALWAYS

The only time I've added water to my FF is when it was too thick on the mandrel.

I usually add about a tablespoon of water when I first open a bottle (the 16 ounce size). Then, usually a tablespoon of water every other time I use it, generally about every two weeks or so.

I tend to prefer to keep my bead release a bit on the thicker side, especially the HD - my students (and all newbies in general) tend to be hard on bead release until they understand about keeping the rod in the flame until they've added enough glass to the bead.

I'd say try it step by step - but with the HD, I wouldn't thin it down too far - that will override the additional "grab" the material has.
Old 2005-07-17, 11:46am
Fire Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlia
I love my Foster Fire bead release but it just doesn't really do what I want it to do all the time. I was fortunate enough to purchase some heavy duty last night. So here is my question. I have to water down the regular foster fire quite a bit. Do I need to do the same thing to the heavy duty?

I was told with the regular foster fire it needed to be dipped where you could almost see the mandrel through the dip. It's pretty watery and works great that way. So does the heavy duty need the same treatment?
Wow! Really?! I usually have my FF HR as thick as a milkshake. I don't like granular stuff on my mandrel once dipped with bead release. I have had to add water to bottles since I open them and do not use them up so fast. When it is too thin I can not do any sculpting, etc. so I tend to always have a nice coat of bead release.

Old 2005-07-17, 11:51am
Life in the slow lane

Yeah it has to be very thin in our area. If we live it on thick we get all kinds of bubbles in the glass then it's a major PITA. Okay, I'll give it a go with it thick.

Old 2005-07-17, 2:47pm
Surrounded by Trouble

I add water to my FF all the time, I don't add it till I can see through the mandrel. I also dip them and than tap them on my table, a few time so it lets the FF drip down so it doesn't clump up at the tips. leaving a smooth nice and even long dip for me to work off of. I do let mine air dry most of the time. Unless I have forgotten to plan ahead of time. I use the heavy duty formula as I do a lot of encased work some sculpture work, and a lot of tugging. Love Foster Fire!
Old 2005-07-17, 3:00pm
Certified Glassaholic!

I use mine at about the same consistency as pancake mix. I frequently have to add water to mine to get it to the right consistency. I guess the lids aren't airtight And I dip a whole ton at a time so it's usually a while in between uses. Love the stuff though!

-Yee

Old 2005-07-17, 7:58pm
Life in the slow lane

I've dipped about two dozen mandrels and drained off about 10% so I could get it slightly lighter. Thanks for your input everyone! I can't wait to try it.

Shawn - the encasing was what I am having problems with the other bead releases. I guess I just tug too darn much.

Old 2005-07-18, 4:25am
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
guess the lids aren't airtight
You DO keep it stored lid down don't you? That's the reason the label is on upside down...
Old 2005-07-18, 10:49am
FKA Stacia

Quote:
You DO keep it stored lid down don't you? That's the reason the label is on upside down...
Oh! So that's why. Thanks, honestly, never occured to me.

Stacia
Old 2005-07-18, 11:33am
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlia
I've dipped about two dozen mandrels and drained off about 10% so I could get it slightly lighter. Thanks for your input everyone! I can't wait to try it.

Shawn - the encasing was what I am having problems with the other bead releases. I guess I just tug too darn much.
Starlia, I found the same problem with some of the other bead releases, as by the time I got to the part where I wanted to encase, by bead release would break on me at this point. I don't have this problem with FF. I don't tug much till I get to the ends, but I do push my glass to the ends of the mandrel. I know I encase differently than most. I'm a swipe down the middle kind of gal.

Also note the only time I have a problem with my bead release breaking is with new mandrels, or welding rods. They really should be roughed up before you use them. It will help to make sure the release has something to grab hold of and keep the bead where you want it. Stuck on your release on your mandrels. Take a good clean scouring pad one without chemicals or cleaners and run it up and down the end of your new mandrels. Wash with water and dry clean before you dip them.