Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2015-06-01, 1:46am

Default Fan question

I have a 4x6 foot hood for one torch. I have 10 inch duct and about 3 feet of straigh - no bends - ducting. I am looking at a Fantech FR 250 that has 649 cfm.. Is this OK for me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-06-01, 7:11am

By rule of thumb that is quite a bit under sized.
Old 2015-06-02, 1:55am

What should I get?

Old 2015-06-11, 9:59am
kinda torching....

125cfm per sq foot of hood opening.
4*6=24*125cfm= 3,000 CFM.

So you'd need a pretty big fan to use that hood properly and safely. Without this powerful of a fan your studio will fill with fumes. What torch are you using? If you're a beaded you could use a much smaller hood like 2x2 or 2x3

Old 2015-06-11, 10:00am
kinda torching....

A 4x6 hood is big enough for two people running large torches like mirages

Old 2015-06-15, 1:05am

My torch is like a cricket - made by Wale Apparatus. They don't make it any more - I think too similar to the cricket.
I have a Barley box around my hood, so only opened in the back. The hood and fan were a unit - I can't remember the company. I bought it several years ago. Mike Aurelius told me it was just barely enough for my set up. The flame pulls up toward the fan, so it is working.
I just want to upgrade to a better one.

Old 2015-06-15, 3:30am

Oops. My barley Box is 4 x 6 - built around my table that I work on. My hood is 2 x 3

Old 2015-06-16, 8:03am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Either way, you need a bigger fan. You'll be so happy if you invest in one now, vs. trying your smaller one to see if works, then purchasing a larger one later. (ask me how I know)

Old 2015-06-17, 5:24am

I'm trying to find out what size I need - and does anyone have a brand they suggest? My ducting is 10 inches

Old 2015-06-17, 10:16am
Phill

I don't have a brand name or even any numbers to give you but...

I will mention that I pulled the fan I am using in my 3 foot by 6 foot hood out of my old 100 thousand btu furnace when it died on me some half dozen years ago.

Monster squirrel cage blower that moved air in my 2 story 2100 square foot house.

Maybe you could find such a fan for next to notihng by asking at a local heating and air conditioning place.
They often dispose of the old furnace units when they install new ones and I think they are mostly a land fill cost.

They can't say yes if you don't ask.

ETA: When looking at your numbers my gut memory (from playing with the numbers when I did mine) tells me for a ten inch duct work you will want twice and probably three times as much cfm.

Add to that the 125 cfm per square foot of hood opening rough guestimate that I vaguely remember and you are looking at 3000 cfm minimum for that hood and that duct work. My mind just doesn't deal well with dredging up the specifics from the past anymore. Sorry.

The information is here in the LE threads of past conversations, I just don't where to point you to at the moment.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-06-17 at 10:25am.
Old 2015-06-17, 11:39am
I fart diamonds

If your hood is 2x3, then you'll need 750 CFM, minimum. Ebay has good prices on fans, and so does Amazon. Here's one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Inch-Inli...item3f4a32b44d

Old 2015-06-17, 10:18pm

Thanks all.. Very helpful!!