Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-06, 8:46pm

Question Advice on bead press

I am thinking about buying a press.... anyone have a suggestion on a brand, size or style that is best for a newbie ??
Old 2005-07-06, 8:54pm

I vote for Zooziitools (hehehe)...I would recommend that you decide which shapes you like best and go with that...However, I have found through feedback and personal experience, it's a little easier to start with a straight sided tool, then with a shape like the lentil...

I'm sure any seller will be happy to help you if you run into any trouble with the learning curve, on any tool.

As far as size, that depends on what size beads you like to make. If you like making big beads, get a large tool, if you like making smaller beads, like for bracelets, then go that route (That would be one of the trios if you did choose my line of tools). Working with what you are comfortable with will make the learning curve much more natural. Have fun, whatever tool you choose, and whoever you buy it from!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Daughter and Husband Wrote a book.

The Car Catch-all...the most useful non-lampworking item ever!
Old 2005-07-06, 9:10pm

I started with a lentil press from Corina, so I have the most practice with it. I find it more forgiving and easier to use than the straight sided shapes. It really is all practice practice practice. I have catt tools, zooziitools and CBS. I still have problems with the zooziitool, however, like I said, my first press with the CBS, so I have more practice with those. I'm getting better with the others.

Lara

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2005-07-06, 10:16pm
koregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara
I started with a lentil press from Corina, so I have the most practice with it. I find it more forgiving and easier to use than the straight sided shapes. It really is all practice practice practice. I have catt tools, zooziitools and CBS. I still have problems with the zooziitool, however, like I said, my first press with the CBS, so I have more practice with those. I'm getting better with the others.

Lara
Ditto to this from me as well, I have some of all of them...I love the cbs...which is now also made by cattwalk.

if I was to buy one press for a newbie press person..it would be a bead squeeze or crunch...depending on where you get it...its very forgiving,width isn't as important/mass is sorta important...you can get varied sizes yes...but there is acutally nothing wrong with that...its just a great feeling bead on the wrist etc...

my second fav/is a toss up between the lozenge/pastille...and the puffy pillow...both those are a little more challenging that the squeeze/crunch...but all in all the cbs or cattwalk presses...take approx the same masses and I shapes of glasses...they vary very little and are easy to adapt to another press.

I do really like the larger zoozii presses...the pillow/tab and diamond in the focal size are great...

but for a great wearable easy to use bead press....the squeeze/crunch

you can actually even make focals with it also...cuz its open ended...very versitle

Old 2005-07-06, 10:18pm
koregon

ps....Lara made a very good point in her comment about practice...to make any of these work for you, it takes time and working with them....to perfect the mass/amt of glass and shape needed...to be consistant.

the bead squeeze/crunch takes less time than any

Old 2005-07-07, 7:52am
Glassy Lady

I use CBS and Zoozii's presses and they're both very good. What the others said about practise is correct, it takes practise to be able to turn out perfect pressed beads. I've also found that the straight sided beads are harder to make perfectly than the tapered shapes (like the lentils).

I'd say that you should check out the available presses and choose the shape that you like the most and then shop prices.

One feature of the Zoozii's presses that is very convenient are the two pins that stick out of the bases. They guide the top of the press to a perfect pin point landing every time. I hate it when I don't pay attention and misallign the CBS press. It usually happens only on a to-die-for bead too.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2005-07-07, 9:13am
FKA Stacia

I spent quite a bit of time deciding. I tried the CBS tools that a friend of mine owns and really liked them, but finally went with the Zoozii tools. Her tools are equally well made and engineered. Some of the shapes are different. For me it got down to expense. Zoozii tools are simply more affordable. I don't need a separate base. Customer service is great. I've been delighted with my purchases.

I have the lentil trio and Kalera Long n'Lean (similar to the CBS squeeze). Of the two, the Kalera is easier to use. I think I'm going to purchase the hex trio next, we'll see.

Good luck
Stacia